cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

ptcfast2
Journeyman III

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Blackscreen Problems (Radeon VII)

I'd also like to chime in here as well. Having similar issues, no version of the graphics driver fixes it. I'm using an HP Reverb device with Alyx however. There's definitely something funky with the VII and WMR + Alyx. I've tried to troubleshoot this for about a day now, and well now I'm posting here about it.

Intel 10920X
Asus Prime X299-A II

64GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz

XFX Radeon VII w/3 Monitors (144Hz, 60Hz, 60Hz)+ HP Reverb WMR

Windows 10 1909

I've tried 19.5.2, 19.12.1, 20.4.1. Half Life Alyx will randomly crash - sometimes immediately, sometimes within a few minutes. 20.4.1 handles it the crash best - all the other drivers cause various issues or cause my WMR device display to flicker in Alyx. I've also seen Alyx randomly complain the GPU does not have enough memory...which we know is 100% incorrect.

Anyways, the GPU driver itself stops responding according to Event Viewer. The crash symptoms that manifest can vary. Sometimes the HP Reverb will just go blank and then start flashing white like a strobe but audio will still play before the crash, other times it will track but the image will freeze and then the driver crashes. All of these crashes do involve the displays eventually going blank. SteamVR complains it has encountered an error, crashes, etc... Windows recovers, but  acts pretty funky and always requires a reboot to get my machine 100% back to normal.

I'm not here to berate AMD, but this is a "flagship" card that's treated like it's an unwanted adopted step child. I literally stayed on 19.5.2 as long as I could but the only driver that fixed some of the display flickering (seizure inducing) in Alyx has been 20.4.1 for me. This is unfortunately only adding to the negative connotation that is the Radeon VII has in the gaming community at this point, and the fact that AMD hasn't came out and at least acknowledged that the VII has serious driver issues (and it's extremely apparent the 2020 drivers really screwed up the VII compared to the 2019 series) is frustrating. I wish more effort was put into bugs and QAing the released drivers against the VII internally at AMD, because there's no way some of these can be missed.

The VII is a great value and a spec beast, but it's a shame the drivers and general bugs are forever going to taint the reputation of this card.

0 Kudos
hujohner
Journeyman III

I also have this problem! I initially thought it is due to my CPU shutting off at 60C but more cooling and keeping it under 60C didn't seem to help.

It happens randomly sometimes an hour into a session sometimes at startup. Sometimes it crashes to desktop but most times it crashes to a black screen with sound looping and I have to restart my PC.

Specs: Intel Xeon E3-1230v3
Radeon RX Vega 56
12Gb DDR3-1866

0 Kudos
rajadog20
Adept I

Same issue here with a Radeon VII although I have seen it happen in other VR games as well and, although less frequently but still consistently on non VR games.

With and without a browser open.

On both Linux and windows... Has to be driver related or possibly hardware

0 Kudos
fizbang
Adept I

Thought I had cracked it!  New bios out for MB (2.80) which I installed.  Recent chipset drivers out - installed.  Upped voltage slightly for mem in bios.

Played Alyx for approx 1hr 45 mins with no crashes.   Played again and after just over 30 mins same crash - display driver stopped responding but recovered, followed by the VR apps crashing.   Monitored temps and everything looks fine. 

Played a bit again tonight and crashed after 35 mins or so.  How it lasted for the long run is anybodies guess.  

0 Kudos
rajadog20
Adept I

Possible workaround for Radeon VIi owners.

Install the Pro/workatation drivers instead of the gaming drivers and see if that fixes the crashing. They're built for stability, so they might help here and it would tell us and AMD that this is an issue specifically with the adrenaline drivers. Post if this has affirmative or negative results.

Thanks

0 Kudos
fizbang
Adept I

Just tried the 20.q1.1-Feb14 pro drivers, and after approx 20 mins still crashed.    Same issues as before, amd panel only shows outline after etc.   The way it handles the crash is similar to 19.12.1 drivers (i.e. no bsod) but still crashes.

0 Kudos
rajadog20
Adept I

Ay what a shame. I'm going to try swapping the graphics into a completely different machine and see if I still get crashes. If so, I will rma 

0 Kudos
fizbang
Adept I

Just tried latest driver (20.4.1) - crashed after 40 mins or so.  Interestingly crashed to desktop this time, change from other 20.x.x I've tried.  Tried opening amd panel and again just got the window outline.  Windows reported "not responding" and when I selected restart application on recovery options prompt, I then got a system crash & reset.  

It wouldn't be so bad if the driver recovered properly and I was still able to use the amd control panel - at the moment even if it doesn't crash and reset, need to reboot anyway to recover.

Probably going to go back to 19.12.1 since I understand there are some issues with video acceleration in chrome and video apps on 20.x.x.  

0 Kudos
rajadog20
Adept I

Similar experience here fiz. Just updated an now the crashes seem more frequent in other games. When the PC reboots, the graphics drivers are in an odd state and until I manually reboot again games are unplayable. 

0 Kudos
newparadigm
Journeyman III

Same issue here with the Radeon VII and Alyx. After a random amount of play, from just a few minutes to an hour, the game will just stop responding with a frozen image in my Oculus Rift S headset and the monitor goes black, and either  goes back to desktop with the error log being amdkmdap has stopped responding and recovered and hlvr.exe has been prevented from accessing graphics hardware, or it will just flat out stop responding at the black screen and require a hard restart. I have tried driver versions all the way back to 19.10.1 with the same issue, and various driver settings like reducing the core clock, increasing voltage, increasing and decreasing the power limit, and still have the same issue after a random time of play.

0 Kudos