cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

agoman
Adept I

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Blackscreen Problems (Radeon VII)

I serched google for how to fix games going to black screen/crash. And i got into a link that showed me how to. But instate of it working for 5-10 min. it only made me game for 60-90 min before blackscreen came back. An i just tryed it again before writing u and the problem is back again, max 5-10 min gameplay before the blackscreen is back. 

Sry for my non working suggestion

fizbang
Adept I

Hi,

I've have been having issues with Alyx on my setup too.

R3700+

Asrock X570 taichi

32gb 3600 DDR4

Radeon VII

Windows 10 1909

Oculus rift, 4 sensors.

On a few occasions I have been able to play for well over an hour without issues.  Other times it crashes within a few minutes or sometimes as soon as I load a saved game. 

Tried numerous versions of drivers, including latest.

The rift screen locks, then goes black although audio plays for a few seconds.   

On pre 20.x.x version drivers, my main screen comes back on but steam vr says it needs to restart driver, and oculus software restarts.  Checking the windows logs it shows that the display driver stopped responded but recovered, then steam vr and the oculus apps crash and restart.   If I try to bring up AMD control panel all I get is a window outline.  Trying to run any games or benchmarks afterwards results in them running slow.  Clock speeds don't seem to be boost from desktop speeds.  A reboot is required to resolve.

On 20.x.x drivers, rather than the driver recovering, it stays black and the pc reboots after a short time.  Windows states that it crashes and has created a crash dump.  Analysis of the memory.dmp file states that the likely cause of the crash was ATIKMPAG.SYS.

I've done memory checks on my pc and have done multiple runs of 3d mark extreme stress test with no issues.  Using hwinfo shows temps are reasonable, and hot spot is in 90's.  Tried numerous versions of the driver as well as underclocking the gpu and memory on the card but still have issues with Alyx.

I appreciate this may be a game issue and I have no other gfx card to test, by thought I would mention it in this post for information.  Happy to provide additional information or to help with testing if required.  

Also for information I checked the Graphics performance preference option in windows and it is already on "Classic app".

Thanks,

Ian.

dosisking
Adept I

So it just happened. I am running Folding@home. At the same time I had chrome open with a video playing. However, hardware acceleration was disabled in Chrome due to advice I had received about disabling it to prevent black screens. I then enabled it to see if I could recreate the black screen issue with browsing. About 10 seconds later, the screen went to black and rebooted. Now that the computer is rebooted and hardware acceleration is already enabled, it seems to be doing ok for now. But will update you if it crashes again.

I know in the past I was also having problems with renders in DaVinci Resolve. It would happen randomly though. I'll see if those issues have persisted in the latest driver set as I have not rendered anything since updating the drivers.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
dosisking
Adept I

Crashed again. This again was with Folding@home open along with Chrome with hardware acceleration enabled.

0 Kudos
dlittlefair1
Adept I

Can we remove the “assumed answered” on this post?! This is clearly not answered yet. It’s an issue that locks my whole computer up and causes me to hard reset my machine just to try and take for another 2 minutes before crashing. This is my first time buying AMD and I’m so disappointed with this. I ran a 1070ti for over a year without issue. 

mist17
Adept II

Assumed answered what the, Please remove that. Still crashing here as well.

0 Kudos
mist17
Adept II

Tried playing 2 days ago back to around 30 minutes before crashing.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ignore it, it's something automatically applied by the forum and there is nothing we can do about it. Unless it says Answered, it's not answered. 

thetrevman
Journeyman III

Hi all,

Thought I'd share that I'm having the same issue on my system. Either full shut down, frozen image in the headset or complete jumbled display in the headset. I notice the game is still playing most of the time since I can hear audio still. But sometimes I've been able to play through 3 levels at a time no problem or it crashes in the loading screen. Weather I have other programs open or not in the background doesn't matter. this is the only vr game that has given me these problems.

Ryzen 5 3600

AMD 5700 xt

Valve index (oddly enough)

Newest drivers 

0 Kudos
nriver
Adept I

was able to finally fix my problem (or at least i think it's fixed) by replacing my old HDMI cable which i have been using since early 2010. (it's 32ft cable which cost me quite a lot at the time and i didnt even think about replacing it as it worked fine for a decade)
Purchased a new 32ft HDMI v2.0 and so far i have had no issues with the latest driver. can even use OC functions and Enhanced Sync.
Its been 2 days since i have began using it and everything works flawlessly.
For comparison with the old cable i have never even got to 12 hours of stability, not to say 48 hours.
will update again in a week.
If you are using an old HDMI cable you might want to give this "fix" a try as cables are really cheap nowadays.