cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

snowzach
Adept I

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Blackscreen Problems (Radeon VII)

So it started doing it again tonight and I figured I'd try the repaste. It didn't do anything. I tried cranking my fan up to full tilt. Still crashed... but then I realized somehow Half-Life Alyx had ended up with it's own profile with the normal settings. When I clocked it back down to the settings I had before it was good. So it appears to have nothing to do with heat, it's just my hardware is not up to the task and maybe it was just binned incorrectly. Kinda sucks, but at least it works.

0 Kudos
mist17
Adept II

I have tried underclocking my GPU and increasing the virtual memory with only the virtual memory increase bringing my playtime to about 25 mintues.

0 Kudos
nriver
Adept I

This is not an issue with this driver but with all driver that came out since 2020 i.e drivers 20.x.x. 

I have been using Radeon VII since 09.2019 and everything was stable with these releases. Currently im still using 19.10.1 as it gives me the best performance with no tweaking needed. Also why would i not want to use enhanced sync and disable the vsync in game? the difference in FPS especially when using a projector for gaming is stupendous. (we are talking unstable 40-50 fps in doom eternal against 200+ with vsync off)

anyway alyx runs great but it is outrageous that a flagship card that cost A LOT! of money gets no support whatsoever. 4 months into 2020 and still can not update. If anything it taught me to stay with middle range cards like the RX480 (which i upgraded from) that ran flawlessly for 3 years and did not burn a hole in my pocket.

My only hope at this point is that either AMD will pull a bunny out of their hat or just admit that they released an overpriced and unstable card.

0 Kudos
bdr2000
Journeyman III

@agoman Interesting that it happens with your other cards as well. I got a 5700XT to use after my Radeon VII was giving the black screens and not once did I have a single black screen hang/issue with my 5700XT. That card does stutter however, and glitches out when pulling up SteamVR or Oculus menus, but I played from Ch5-end of the game without issue. 

My friend with a GTX1070 also finished without any issues, though he was using an Intel 4770K. 

0 Kudos
mist17
Adept II

With patch 1.2 I seem to be able to play for 90 to 120 minutes.

0 Kudos
agoman
Adept I

Im running i5-4690K on 2 pc's and one with ryzen 5 3600, I swaped all 3 cards around in all 3 pc's and the same result on all of them. But if u serch the net of the problem with Alyx crashing, it's on all model VR headset og all kind of GPUs I guess some are just lucky to get to play the game and then there is us who are not

0 Kudos
agoman
Adept I

I FIXED IT!!!!!

1. Right click on desktop and sellect screensettings... I think it's called that in english? And u get in to the window as shown below.

1.jpg

2. Scroll down and sellect the setting that i highlighted with red in img below.

2.jpg

3. Now turn on 1 (shown in img) And browse for the game in 2 (shown in img) Make sure its on "klassik app"

3.jpg

I hope it works for u 2??

agoman
Adept I

Look at my latest answer

0 Kudos
esiotrot
Adept I

I'd try it but I refunded the game while I was able to, if someone else with a Radeon VII can confirm this fix works that would be awesome. How did you figure this one out? If somebody else could confirm to make sure it wasn't a one off I'll re-purchase and give it a go.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Could you look into this more to see if you can provide accurate steps on how to reproduce the issue?

We were able to reproduce the issue with Half Life Alyx and the Oculus S. However your issue with regards to browsing and a black screen is likely different. 

0 Kudos