cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

agoman
Adept I

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Blackscreen Problems (Radeon VII)

The problem is not with the Radeon vii, but eather steam VR or the app for the head set. I tried with the GTX  1070, the Radeon vii and the R9 390 on 3 different PC's and all does the same, crashing all the time. Black screen on headset and monitors and then comes back a few seconds later telling it lost connection to headset.

legitartist
Adept I

To me it ocassionally happens with other titles as well, although that has been rare. Blade and Sorcery tends to crash every now and again, and Pavlov has done it before too.

For me the audio keeps playing as well and the picture in the headset remains still without positional tracking which drags the stillframe around in front of your view when you move the head. That indicates to me that the Oculus software is still tracking but it's not getting through to the GPU. At that point the PC needs a reboot.

It's a rather nauseating feeling.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the post. Nonetheless i will ask engineering to take a look at the issue just in case. 

Could anyone confirm if they have a browser open in the background when the issue occurs?

mist17
Adept II

The same issue here as well, anywhere from 45 seconds to 10 minutes Black screen and the system locks up and restarts. I also get the same issue in the new Modern Warfare although the minimum time for it to happen is 45 minutes. No overclock on anything.

R7 1800x

MSI X370

Radeon VII

32gb @ 3200mhz

mist17
Adept II

Happens with and without a browser open for me.

renner
Adept II

Problem for me personally is that I didn't even get to play the game. I saw people playing with the HP WMR, but they are having a 5700XT. WMR portal seems to track but I don't get anything through the headset. I was getting with a borrowed GTX1070. Didn't try the game yet because I'm also having issues pairing controllers with bluetooth, but that's Windows related. Again, its Vega 64 here. I'm having two and its the case with both of them.

legitartist
Adept I

I have had this issue occuring both with and without Opera running in the background.

I do agree that the issue might lie with SteamVR and/or Oculus, it doesn't necessarily need to be an issue on AMDs end. I have also posted this in the HL: Alyx Steam discussions, but it didn't resonate.

On Reddit I got one response with the same issue, also with a Radeon VII and a Rift S so it might well be an Oculus problem. That would be bad as Oculus/Facebook isn't likely to listen.

Edit: I don't get an Error Message upon crashing, just a straight up loss of video signal on both monitors and the headset.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

From the latest AMD Driver Release Notes concerning Known Issues:

I suggest to open an Online AMD Service Request to let them know of the Black-out issues so they can find out what is causing it in certain User's computer setup from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

dosisking
Adept I

I do know that I made a deliberate effort to close all browsers before plugging in the VR unit as I had read that the browser hardware acceleration may contribute to the issue. Despite having the browsers closed, the black or blue screen crashes happen in VR. I do know that the Radeon VII does the black screen crash occasionally when I just am browsing the web without the VR headset plugged in. I feel like it typically happens when a video is open, though I could be wrong about that. 

0 Kudos
dosisking
Adept I

Also, I have a Samsung Odyssey +, so I don't think it's just an Oculus problem.

0 Kudos