cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

amdog
Adept I

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Blackscreen Problems (Radeon VII)

Check my latest comment. If you get multiple black screens again try resetting shader cache and see how long it goes without black screens again

0 Kudos
renner
Adept II

Here I am again.... DDU'd everything and left Windows to install a pure driver, didn't help. Installed now ancient 19.5.1 on recommendation, still the same. Nothing comes through the headset, while portal works correctly. Again, worked with GTX1070. Its no surprise I've seen almost none Alyx gameplay vids with the Vega. There's one guy with Vega 56, but he's using Valve Index.

Now, the question remains. Is this AMD's fault, or maybe its HP WMR. Btw, I noticed something strange with the latest 20.4.2 driver. Occasionally I get this momentary blink, like the driver has a spasm or something, and any video opened in tabs stops, while the sound continues playing.

0 Kudos
fat227stuff
Journeyman III

Based on all of what I'm seeing here, I'm gonna say this lands squarely in AMDs court.. I have the same issues with the valve index on Radeon vii. Although I was surprised to find this card runs hotter than the fires in h***, it doesn't seem to be heat related.

For me it happens somewhat randomly, but more often than not it's within the first few minutes of running VR. If often, but not always, is triggered by just setting my headset down and letting it go into sleep mode.

When it happens the headset image freezes and eventually goes black. Meanwhile the monitor goes blank (and even says no signal). After about 40 seconds the desktop will come back and steam VR has a message that says there was a problem with the Graphics card and it has to quit. From that point if I try to open the radeon software it just opens an empty frame of a window and either crashes or the screen goes black again.

It doesn't happen every time I play, but it is frequent enough to be annoying.

0 Kudos
1r0b1n0
Journeyman III

Same for me using Alyx on a Rift S ; I finally managed to play Alyx for like 2 hours without any crashes !

I also noticed the "GPU memtest" in OCCT doesn't crash any more with this driver.

0 Kudos
mist17
Adept II

Same here finished the game with a 4 hour session not one crash, Rift CV1 here. Although Warzone has a very Similar crash as Alyx did. And OCCT no longer crashes with 4 hour test in the GPU Memory and the normal GPU test.

0 Kudos
rajadog20
Adept I

This is not resolved and the response from AMD has been piss poor for a $700 product. 

AMD refused to even look at the error logs and reports I sent them to help find a solution and simply told me to RMA it. 

So I spent $60 and RMAed my card. After 4 weeks I get it back and was told there were no issues with the card.

So I try using it again and I get consistent crashes in COD warzone, at least once every two hours. Not even with using the card at this point.

0 Kudos
ushuo
Journeyman III

After a month, it started again =/ 

Not only i'm getting black screen on modern warfare, i'm not getting black screen while doing nothing. 

0 Kudos
amdog
Adept I

Try clearing shader cache. I feel somehow that when it start to do black screen on my computer i clear shader cache and it stop for a while. A week of no black screen. I prefer shouldnt have to do this but somehow it looks like it works.

0 Kudos
amdog
Adept I

its not heat related, it happens even on light games like league of legends where the card doesnt even reach half of the max temperature i've seen while playing other heavy demanding games.

0 Kudos
amdog
Adept I

Do a DDU, install amd chipset first, this seems crazy. then install GPU driver. if you have intel cpu, then i dont know.

0 Kudos