cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

technostone
Journeyman III

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Blackscreen Problems (Radeon VII)

It seems that Record Desktop was the root of the issue. Updated to 20.4.2 and no issues at all! Updated yesterday, played ~10 hours without any issues and overall system stability looks much better. I'm glad that Radeon VII finally got some fixes

0 Likes
renner
Adept II

I've mentioned earlier that I've tried a friend's GTX1070, and everything worked fine in there. I may try some ancient driver, or letting Windows to just install driver itself...

0 Likes
dosisking
Adept I

So Half Life: Alyx still has been working great!

However, I was just watching a YouTube video on Chrome with hardware acceleration enabled and it crashed with nothing else open. I also experienced a crash in Premiere while scrubbing through the timeline on an H.264 file. Chrome with hardware acceleration was open so it might've been due to that. Will continue to monitor!

0 Likes
ushuo
Journeyman III

I was able to play alyx and battlefield 5 for more than an 1 hour without crashing, it's a first since august..

Will keep monitoring & will update if i do crash.

0 Likes
mist17
Adept II

Same here 3hr run in Alyx and no crash finally. Not getting any crashes with Vivaldi a chrome based browser, although Firefox is my main.

0 Likes
fizbang
Adept I

Looking promising on 20.4.2 drivers.  Played Alyx almost two hours and no crashes.  It had done this on rare occasions before - but just played another session of just under 2 hours and no crashes.  

There has been an update to Steam VR as well, not sure if that's done anything.   

Will probably carry on with my playthrough tomorrow (third times the charm   ) and see how it goes, but looking good so far. 

0 Likes
rajadog20
Adept I

Lol I just spent 60 dollars to ship my Radeon VII to gigabyte for RMA on AMD supports instructions. If this was all a driver issue (like we all assumed) I'll be kinda pissed haha.

I even told AMD support that I was pretty sure it was a driver issue but he said no it's a card issue, RMA. The support ticket responses are useless, I'm pretty sure I know more about the design of the card then them 

0 Likes
ushuo
Journeyman III

To be honest with you, since the release of 20.4.2 driver i've yet to get any blackscreen on Bf5, alyx which is a massive improvement !

Before it was between 5 to 1h of gameplay, quite random. and now, i can play 8h easy.

0 Likes
nriver
Adept I

I was very close to RMA it myself after a good 4 months of troubleshooting. good thing i am month+ since my last crash/black screen.
Currently using the latest driver 20.4.2.

I wonder if you can just get a refund when sending to RMA instead of a replacement.
At this point i would love to just take a 2070 Super/2080 instead.

0 Likes
amdog
Adept I

IMPORTANT:
Correct me if im WRONG please.

Between paste yesterday and yesterday i've been having black screens like never before.
I didnt do any change to my config, nor restart my computer. All i did was:

""""""""""""""""""RESET SHADER CACHE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And the black screens stopped SOMEHOW. I've been resetting shader cache for a while but yesterday its likely that has been confirmed that it HELPS somehow as i stopped having the black screens.

Now i might go for a week clean of black screens, and if it happen again, it will clean the SHADER cache again and keep testing.

NOTE THIS: Im on 20.4.1 DRIVER, i will keep testing with this driver as i only got RECOVERABLE BLACK SCREENS

not freezing bsod black screens.

I will update.

This may be the cause that why it stays stable for a while after reinstalling everything?

0 Likes