cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

nriver
Adept I

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Blackscreen Problems (Radeon VII)

Correct, but you still have a main monitor which displays the game. also my issue was not limited to VR games but with daily use with the Adrenaline drivers that came out since Jan 2020.

As i said in my previous comment, maybe my cable was faulty, or maybe just old (since i have used it for a decade now) combine this with the incompatibility from AMD drivers resulted in frequent crashes (since up to 19.12.1 everything worked well even with the old cable)
Now everything works with no issues.

0 Likes
fizbang
Adept I

If I recall correctly there are only one maybe two manufacturers of the reference model, possibly sapphire and power colour?  The others are simply rebadged, like Asus.   It's only when custom models come out this varies a lot, which never happened with the Radeon VII.

0 Likes
fizbang
Adept I

I'm not using hdmi for my main screen, but displayport.   Not had any issues playing traditional games like Borderlands 3 - but still having this issue with Alyx.  The randomness of it is the most infuriating part.  

As I think already mentioned, my rift has it's own custom cable.  Don't believe a replacement is available anymore.    Having said that not getting any display problems on the headset anyway.

0 Likes
nriver
Adept I

exactly, every system is a different problem and a different use-case.
It took me lot of troubleshooting and by the process of elimination i have finally got to the point of replacing my old 32ft HDMI cable.
Currently this is what connected to the card and i have 0 issues:

HDMI: CV1
DP1: Projector via HDMI cable (32ft) + HDMI to DP converter
DP2: DP dongle dummy (for headless display, very usefull if i try to connect to my PC with TeamViewer while the projector is off)
DP1 & DP2 are set to Duplicate.

Im just happy that i do not need to RMA this card and the whole "fix" cost me around 30$ (although the total amount of time i spent on this crap since January is much more than what this card deserves and i could easily afford a new 2080 nvidia card by now) 

The word "HATE" is an understatement for my feelings on this card.

0 Likes
ushuo
Journeyman III

Same thing here ! Been trying to make it work with battlefield 5 since August, black screen after a couple of minutes or hours that ends into a manual reboot. 

While i never got anyblack screen before, i had one not long ago with beat saber -.-

I've tried stock, undervolt, overclock. it is watercooled with maximum 76°c hotspot at 2100mhz underload (Gosh i love that card) but for the love of .. i cannot play bf5 at all. 

Even changed memory (ram), changed psu and switch from the 8086k to the 3950x thinking it was the cpu itself.

Well, i've got a second computer for streaming i guess

AMD 3950X

32GB ddr4 @ 3200mhz 

Radeon VII

X570 MSI gaming pro carbon

PSU : seasonic 80+ titanium 850W

0 Likes
dlittlefair1
Adept I

I’ve tried 4 different cables and I thought it had worked until today when it crashed again. I don’t think replacing the cable has anything to do with it. I used several brand new cables out their packaging and all with the same results. Sadly this is still not resolved for everyone

0 Likes
joevolcano
Journeyman III

I have a RADEON VII too.
I tried to play Alyx on my Oculus Quest and after 5m the game hangs and black screens. 
 ALTHOUGH it's not truly black screen because on the Quest head tracking works.
I turn my head I can see part of the game screen, turn the other way its all black.
I suspect this is because of the Quest is a stand-alone unit and able to step outside of the crash to see it...

Do you guys also get a GPU Memory warning when you launch the game?
The R7 has 16GB of video memory alone, wth is Valve talking about?!
PS.  If I play Alyx through "Virtual Desktop" it works fine but wireless has lag and its hard to remote grab items... :-/
0 Likes
nriver
Adept I

Try to download Oculus Tray Tool and play with your settings (i.e put everything on max performance)

Also make sure you turn off your screen saver/screen turning off after being idle in power & sleep options in Win 10.

0 Likes
rajadog20
Adept I

This issue is related to the newer and cards. I swapped my Radeon fury in and was able to play for 4 hours with no crash

0 Likes
mist17
Adept II

Modern Warfare Warzone was having the exact same crash for me until about 5 or so days before the current season when they patched it, now runs perfect. So Valve stuffed up somewhere I think.