cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

legitartist
Adept I

Half-Life: Alyx Blackscreen Problems (Radeon VII)

I am experiencing frequent blackscreening while playing that doesn't seem to correlate with any specific gameplay actions. This doesn't happen in intervals but rather at random times leading me to believe this is a graphics card or driver issue.
The longest I've been able to play consecutively is 30 minutes.

The GPU drivers are the latest release (20.3.1 release for Doom Eternal and Alyx).
The blackscreen will lock up the system and requires a reboot.

I am playing on the Oculus Rift S, and everything is up to date.

My Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x

16GB 3000MHz RAM
AMD Radeon VII
MSI Tomahawk B450
1TB WD Blue SATA m.2 SSD

A similar issue occurs everytime I (try to) play The Labs Robot Repair (Source 2?).

119 Replies
bdr2000
Journeyman III

Re: Half-Life: Alyx Blackscreen Problems (Radeon VII)

I also have this exact same issue with Half Life Alyx and my Oculus Rift S. 30 minutes of gameplay maximum, with other times it crashing immediately after loading into the level, or at other random points during gameplay. Everything is also up to date on my system as well, and I have even tried reinstalling Windows and using DDU several times to reinstall various driver versions. Windows Event Viewer doesn't seem to say if anything went wrong either with Half Life Alyx. Previously, I did get a Bugcheck with code 0x0D when a similar hang appeared to occur with Robo Recall, but here, there is no error code. I also believe this is an issue with the video/graphics drivers with VR games/applications at this point and should be very easy to reproduce.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3900X (formerly 3600X where issue occurred with Robo Recall)

16GB 3200MHz RAM @ 3000MHz

Asus B350F STRIX Gaming

AMD Radeon VII

mana690
Journeyman III

Hi,

I've experienced same issue with my radeon VII on the soliuce project game with my oculus rift.

black screen randomly and in some area, very frequent, unplayable, crash every 2 min.

Downgrade my amd driver to march 2019 has solved my problem. The first ones drivers for this card are very stable for me, i can't says that's for 2020 drivers series....

Drivers of amd in 2020 for this card seems very bad, it's not serious for amd.

legitartist
Adept I

This has sadly not fixed my Problem, the old drivers were installed after a DDU and Alyx keeps crashing.

For a 700€ GPU this is a sad display of instability that does not make me more inclined to buy Radeon products.

0 Likes
esiotrot
Adept I

I am also having this issue. I bought this card specifically for VR and Ultrawide purposes.

Radeon VII

Ryzen 7 2700x

32GB 3200 Mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB

Asus Prime X470-Pro

I have had instability issues across the board in many games, that have only gotten *worse* with newer drivers! I've had to use drivers from mid november to not crash every one-two hours. I have upgraded to 20.3.1 for Alyx.

It seems that whenever I change altitude the graphics card and at random intervals, the card just stops responding. On game start it also says that there is a "lack of VRAM available - this may cause issues" which doesn't make any sense considering the copious 16 GB of HBM2. This issue persists with an earlier version of the drivers.

Fix this please. I am thoroughly unimpressed. Support for the Radeon VII has been extremely disappointing.

snowzach
Adept I

I am having the exact same issue.

ASRock B450

Ryzen 7 2700x

Vega 64

Depending on where it's at, I can play 5 minutes to 5 seconds.

legitartist
Adept I

That's actually rather interesting. So it seems like more of a Vega issue than a VII issue.

That does increase our chances of getting it patched.

renner
Adept II

Glad I've found this thread. For almost two weeks I'm trying to make my HP Windows Mixed Reality to work with my Vega 64. I did a lot of things, disconnecting one monitor, reinstalling everything, even pulling out my second Crossfire GPU. Just when I was about to return the thing I decided to try borrowing a GTX1070 from a friend of mine, and it worked. At least I was getting picture from his card, even if it was glitchy, the headset appeared in my device manager and after hitting driver update everything worked fine.

I put back in my Vega 64 again, WMR portal works, but I'm not getting anything through my headset, its all black, no matter which of my two GPUs is in the system at the moment. I saw the text on the portal saying I'm in the desktop mode, but even after hitting the shortcut keys for the VR view I'm not getting anything...

0 Likes
snowzach
Adept I

So I was able to fix my issue. I had noticed during gameplay, usually when I am getting into a corridor and I suspect the game is swapping out resources for the next section of game, it would start to artifact in the headset. Just random blips of color in the headset. I actually thought all along this was my Vive headset cable as I've noticed this for a long time. It would very occasionally crash with other games. Black screen, dead for 20 seconds and then come back. I would have to restart to play anything else. Not until Alyx did I put the two together and it was very repeatable. The artifacting would start just before it crashed. I would have other VR games that would do this occasionally but rarely crash.

I was able to actually fix the problem by going into the performance settings and drop my VRAM speed from 945Mhz to 900Mhz and I set my GPU clock to -10%. After that, the game plays perfect and the artifacting is gone. It kinda sucks my GPU is bunk, it's outside of the warranty period. Its been doing this since I got it. I wonder if I can re-paste it and get the performance back up. I suspect something is weak in my card though. Might not be worth the risk of breaking it.

dosisking
Adept I

Same here. Alyx has been black screening quite a bit. Sometimes though the it's a blue screen on just the VR headset. In that case the whole system won't crash and it'll eventually get back to the desktop with error messages from steamvr and wmr. When it's a black screen in VR, both the headset and monitor go black with the audio still playing before the computer just reboots. However, I've been having the black screen issues for a while even without VR when doing simple things like browsing the web or with more demanding stuff like rendering videos. VR, at least with Alyx, makes it even worse.