cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

micasmith11b
Journeyman III

Green screen crash then reboot

I will randomly have a crash which gives me a green screen on my main monitor followed by the PC rebooting. I have changed the Video Card PSU connectors which made it so it didn't happen at all last night while gaming and running my stream. Here is the specs:

ASRock Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G OC Video Card

Desktop with MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi AMD A4

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Driver version 20.4.2

Display 1 ASUS VP28U - Display Port 3840 x 2160

Displays 2 and 3 ACER XB271H A - Displlay Port 1920 x 1080

Motherboard MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi with BIOS: 7C37v191

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6GHz processor

PSU Corsair RMx Series RM850X 850W Plus Gold

48GB Installed RAM

I will be playing FF:XIV when all of a sudden I will get the green screen which causes my system to reboot. I got the error before and as I said I changed the PSU cables to the GPU and it didn't do the green screen for about 16 hours. I started the game today and I have gotten the error twich already.

Running game on main display Borderless Windowed at 1920 x 1080

0 Likes
33 Replies
n_olanhas
Journeyman III

Sounds like the exact issue I'm having. Has anyone found a solution yet??

donutsy
Journeyman III

Same as me, green screen halfway through league of legends games. Thanks to AMD's faulty drivers, I now have multiple strikes on my account for "leaving". I've DDU'd, I've upgrade my psu to 850w (80 gold), I've got the latest bios. I'm so tired of this GPU, why release a card that doesnt have drivers that actually work. Theres so many of us with this situation. 

Got my new PC 3 days ago, its crashed 4x a day so far with just a green screen then reboot. Thought it was a faulty gpu until i found out this is a persistent issue with the card that wasn't included in any of the GPU reviews i watched for the 5700 XT

0 Likes

Hi Phoenix_o I have the same issues with the 5700 xt Red Devil. But I have noticed that it is not random on every game but on special happenings. I played „Stranded Deep“ and when an animal killed me —> Green Screen. Then I changed to Friendly Difficulty and then not one Green Screen again in that Game only. But now it happens very rare. Today again after long time but then heavily annoying cause it was like 5 time and always on playing the Game „Stormworks“. And it is 100% AMD Realted Issue and it goes all the way to Apple MacBooks too with AMD Graphics. I had one some time ago. And on that Apple System I Got Green Screens As we’ll it was on iOS and on windows bootcamp ( in case you don’t know , That’s a part of iOS that you can simultaneously have both iOS and windows)

and they never did anything to solve the problem. So I think this will be my last gpu from AMD🥵 and still if anyone know what’s the matter and can write a better update then loosers AMD then please share with all of us

0 Likes

It's insane how stupid amd is.. I'm just trying to play football manager...hardly a graphics intensive game and I can't get passed the menu screen before a crash

0 Likes
ryanjf77
Journeyman III

I am having this problem as well. The recent updates have helped, but I still get a green screen and crash about every other day. 
gpu: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT DirectX 12 RX 5700 XT MECH OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

cpu: Ryzen 5 3600 Matisse 3.6GHz 6-Core AM4
mother board: X570 Steel Legend AMD AM4 ATX

I'm really hoping there is another update soon that eliminates this issue. I was very excited to be able to play games with a powerful gpu, but this is kind of dashing those hopes. Should have spent my money on an NVIDIA card. 

0 Likes

Sent my card back to the store for warranty, they checked it and found the same issue. It's a common fault with the 5700 xt. You will need to apply for warranty and get a new one.

0 Likes
gabriel08
Journeyman III

Same here, any solutions?

0 Likes
wretchedeggsama
Journeyman III

Apologies for the semi Necro of the message thread.

I am having the same issue right now with FFXIV.

I purchased the Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT... It is only FFXIV that causes it to Green Screen freeze on me. Tried different HDMI / DP cables, tried different ports, reseating the GPU, theres no dust in the case, drivers are up to date, etc etc. It's frustrating that this is  the only GPU I have owned that has ever done this to me.

0 Likes
jzx81
Journeyman III

Same issue here with the 5700XT

0 Likes
galdriemir
Journeyman III

I too have this issue.

MSI x570 Gaming Edge Wifi
3700x + Stock cooler
Power Color Red Devil 5700xt
Corsair RM750X PSU

Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz
Dual Monitor setup. 1x 2k 144hrz + 1 x 1080p 60hrz

Green screen followed by a reboot.

Radeon software gives the message "Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure".
Even Viewer is ridden with Warnings/Errors/Critical both leading up to and shortly after the restart.

My guess is that something either driver related, hardware related (We all use 5700XT) or software interferes with something, I just can't narrow it down any further on my own. I can play games fine (mostly). I can watch youtube/netflix etc fine. I can "force" the crash by playing and watching at the same time. (Guaranteed to happen within 30min-1hour).

0 Likes

I found a fix. But AMD won't like the answer. Swapped to an Asus Rog Strixx 1080ti. Have not had any issues since. More powerful card, and no driver issues.

0 Likes
m4u
Journeyman III

Hello Guys! 
I have the same problem as you, it happens since the beginning of this year. 
My computer started to show a Black screen and randomly stop to work, I have bought a new monitor and the issue still exist and it's worst at this time, now my screen is Green and I can't work efficently for it. Please I really need help with it, nobody in my city could fix it. I will let some pictures about the hardware of my pc and how it seems when it becomes green. I can use youtube/Netflix, Sofwares like CS:GO that force it but it doesn't make it crush, it's just random.
pastedImage_3.pngn. 

pastedImage_1.jpgpastedImage_2.jpg

monojeets
Journeyman III

Same issue here, green screen crash and the PC reboots , have tried many things but nothing works!

I have also reported this to AMD using their bug report tool but still the same.

MSI MAG x570 Tomahawk wifi

Powercolor red-devil 5700XT

Ryzen 7 3700x

8*4 = 32 GB GSKILL tridentz Neo ( listed in QVL for motherboard)

0 Likes
johnbelley
Adept I

I am getting this same issue on my RX 570 Ryzen 5 2600 Build and have been trying to find a solution for about 6 months, i get solid colors not just green but usually is, then audio buzzes and then my PC crashes fully but my fans are still on but Keyboard and Display aren't.

Hey here with the same problem I have a red devil card with a 3600 and a b450 tomohawk this crash is killing me anytime I try to run warzone at 144 frames wish lately it can’t like it used to it crashes within 3 games max any fixes yet

0 Likes
AntonioEnache
Journeyman III

Same issue here,

CPU 3800XT

GPU 5700XT (Gigabyte)

while playing COD MW cold war or even warzone, I get random crashes.

The green screen then reboot...

0 Likes

Same here. It happened 2 times in a span of 3 weeks during World of Warcraft.
Once during raiding and once during idle afk when I just tabbed to see a youtube video.
Green screen for 2-3 seconds and then reboot.

No crash report or anything.

Spec:
- Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
- Ryzen 5 3600

0 Likes
FreddyAndriu
Journeyman III

same with 3600 xt gpu it restarts randomly even when im playing low performance games , but i think its the drivers that were uploaded incorrecly or AMD didn't check the new drivers when they realesed it

0 Likes

So, no solution then? Are we supposed to live with this AMD?

A LOT of users are complaining about this issue... AMD should do something about this. More now than ever! No fking stocks anywhere and if you ask me, I WILL NEVER BUY AMD GPUS AGAIN. Nvidia all the way

Polaris
Journeyman III

I currently have a 5700 XT MSI Mech OC and only had this error twice over the period of four months. Both times Steam was downloading or updating a game, maybe you guys should check that!

0 Likes

I created an account just to share this, as I, too, have been battling this exact issue with my 5700xt since I installed it just over a year ago. After my wife had constant and persistant crashes while playing Warzone, I decided to take a deep dive and try every fix I could think of. Flashed new bios, DDU + Clean install of gpu drivers, underclocked RAM to as low as 2133 and as high as 3200, to name a few. I tried every **bleep** thing.

But I noticed that I went a long stretch without issue. 

I had manually adjusted the fans inside the radeon software for a very intense game, to ensure the card would stay cool. This manual adjustment was lost and it had reverted to automatic settings. Since then, it had reoccurred.

The fans weren't spinning up when needed. I adjusted the fans manually to a fairly high level and my computer is certainly noisier now, but it has not crashed at all since I did this. I'll keep you folks posted, but I strongly suggest giving it a try.

0 Likes

Update:

That was a massive coincidence, but I'm working on something else that seems stable so far and will keep everyone posted.

0 Likes
vatyko
Journeyman III

hello, I am having the same issue with my shappire RX 5700 XT, I  do not think it is related to temperature.... sometimes, after a 3/4-hour game session I check MSI afterburner and  temperatures are ok, generally below 70/75 C.... It must be a 5700XT's issue which is quite annoying.... just to let you know guys I just had this  green screen/crash issue jtoday after getting an AMD update... before getting that it used to crash but without rebooting and green screen... strangely in my case it crashes with only one game (dirt rally 2)   I am not sure why

0 Likes

The other fix I have went with and it has been stable for 30 + hours of gameplay now is, I underclocked my card to 1950MHZ and completely fixed all GPU sag that I had. One or the other may be the true fix, but both together have certainly resolved it, and I'm terrified to remove one. 

I'm on newest stable drivers, fyi. Give this a shot and see if it helps!

0 Likes

@Shaji
Has it been stable since ? After 6 months ``?

0 Likes

To be honest, I've been trying to find this thread again. So thank you for the mention, as it made it much easier on me. It was stable for about 2 months. Issues re-occurred and I RMA'd. The new card exhibited similar symptoms that thus far have been fixed with a simple DDU and clean install (driver only) of the latest driver available. Having experienced both a bad card and seemingly one that had an issue with drivers (verified with event viewer and reliability history), I can say that there is a difference I noticed.

My first card would go to a green screen for anywhere from 2-5 seconds before crashing, whereas the new card would flash a green screen for less than 2 seconds, and then crash.

My suggestion would be: if your card is in the 2-5 seconds category, RMA it. If it is a faster crash, check event viewer and reliability history. If you find driver failures, DDU and clean install current drivers (driver only) and hopefully that works for you.

0 Likes

So I've had the same green screen issue, but only on one game, I have a gigabyte dsh3 B550m board with a ryzen 3600, 32gb of ddr4 ram but my card is a 6600xt so its not just the 5700 with this issue. What I found distrubing was when the green screen reset my pc I noticed my gpu fans where not working!!! Brand new card only a month old. I turn off my pc and now the fans work, this is either a AMD issue or a Unreal engine 4 issue becuase it gives me a UE4 error message very fast before it crashes, only game that has done this is UE4 game as well. DD simulator which isnt that graphically intense, so I dont know what to think about this issue. So if your pc crashes check your fans and make sure to reset your PC again if they arent working.

0 Likes
dendersen
Journeyman III

I just got this issue though i have an RX vega 56 8GB

Mobo: x570 MSI gaming plus 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

PSU: Corsair 650 watt 

Ram: ripsaws V 3200mhz 16gb 

0 Likes
Pajou
Journeyman III

I had the same problem with the witcher 3 every other game worked fine 

for me it helped to turn off directx12 and switch to directx11

0 Likes

I Wish AMD Would Actually Take Notice Of This Instead Of Dogding, It's 2024 And I Am Having This Issue. I Am Not Able To Recommend AMD Hardware To My Fellow People If This Will Be The Case.. It's My First PC And This Is My Experience 

0 Likes