• MSI rx 5700xt Mech (3 months old)
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop (custom)
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 Home 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software 20.10.1
  • Display Devices
    • BenQ gl2450HM 60Hz, HDMI, 1920 x 1080 (4 years old)
    • Rift S, 80Hz, DP and USB 3.0, 2560 x 1440 (1 year old)
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Asus ROG Strix B450-f gaming, bios ver. 3103 (1 year old)
  • CPU/APU
    • Ryzen 5 2600 (1 year old)
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • EVGA SUPERNOVA 550W (4 years old)
  • RAM
    • 32GB corsair lpx 3200 (running at 2933) (4x8G sticks, with two being installed recently) (2x8GB @ 1 year old) (2x8GB @ 2 weeks old)

Describe your issue:

• My computer, during idle or under load, will suddenly and with no forewarning have the screen go black or flash green then go black, along with all power to peripherals being lost. The only way to use my computer after that is to force-power-off with the power button. Seems to happen at random, happened once idling at my desktop when I was in the other room, and has happened twice while playing VR (Rift S) on multiple different apps. No significant errors in Event Viewer.
31 Replies
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: Green/Black Screen on rx5700xt

This behavior is the graphics driver reseting. Most often this is power related either a card or power supply failure. 

The obvious place to start looking in your case is your power supply. 

The 5700xt has a minimum 600 watt requirement and recommended 700 watt. 

In reality if you want to know that your power delivery is not the issue, you will want to go with the recommended spec or better off 700 watts. At 550 your power supply is underpowered to drive this GPU. 

This is likely your issue. I would suggest a quality 750 watt gold plus or better power supply. 

The specs for the 5700xt

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/radeon-rx-5700-series-quick-start-guide-en.pdf 

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I looked at the spec sheet a bit after making this post, when I bought the card I remember seeing the wattage requirement somewhere, and I wasn't having issues before, but after upgrading to two new SSD's and more ram as well as a better cooler, I think it might have just put it over the edge. after running ram tests, as well as testing to see when the issue occured, it made me think it was the cooler. This article is the result I most likely drew from when I first bought the card, as well as a lot of the top results on a quick google search showing that 550W would be enough: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming X review - Hardware setup | Power consumption. In retrospect I shoulf have just gone with the manufacturer's specifications, however, I think that it is the age of my PSU that perpetuated this issue, being a 4 year old model that was used for a lot of hours daily. I also ran OCCT's GPU, CPU, and PSU tests, with the PSU test being the only one to cause a crash, making me think it is the combined load of the cpu and gpu that causes it to crash, leading towards either a faulty psu or motherboard. I have already ordered a Corsair RM750x, which will arrive between the 30th and the 4th.

Highlighted
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

PSU problems are most likely not causing the green screen. For solving the green screen problem, two same type of connection ways (two HDMI or two DP usage) or two same resolutions etc... a configuration may be selected for the error.

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Good choice, that should be a nice power supply. Power supplies are like shock absorbers on a car, they begin degrading day one. So you are correct that adding even one more thing drawing power or the PS degrading just a little more can push it over the edge.  Reply back if that new PS takes care of things. 

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I don't understand what you mean, could you possibly describe it a little simpler or perhaps link me to an article that discusses this? I don't understand what you mean by two same type of connection ways. I have a HDMI going to my monitor and a DP to my Rift S when I'm using it, monitor runs at 60Hz, while the Rift runs at 80Hz.

Highlighted
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Do not use DP. Use two HDMI connections.

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Got it in and wired, and ran the OCCT PSU test, which always crashed at 15~20 mins before, ran fine for a whole hour. However, just a few minutes ago as of the time posting this (Oct. 30th, 1:36 am PST) It crashed after not having done anything for hours, all that I was doing was installing a steam game to my other SSD. Long green-screen (5-15 seconds) then the same as before.

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I can't, Rift S only works through DP. it's the only connection available, since it needs to run at 80Hz and is not supported through HDMI. I also wasn't using the Rift through some of the crashes.

Highlighted
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

OCCT has been suggested to you to find the cause of the crash. I wrote a suggestion because that DP usage can sometimes create a green screen. When using two monitors I encountered a green screen error before and suggested you find a suitable configuration. You can try to find this out by experimenting.