cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Faizan_poran
Journeyman III

Graphics card shuts down my PC after it hits 50℃ temperature

I have a R9 270X 2GB graphics card. I bought it a few days ago (first upgrade after 5 years) to be disappointed. I put in the graphics card, and even bought a new PSU, however when I would boot up the PC, the GPU's temperature would hover around 32℃, but then went up to hover around 42℃, and when it hit 50℃ some weird lines started appearing and the PC rebooted.

I don't know what to do anymore to be honest, I might just sell it for like 40$ for someone who knows how to fix it and save up for a RX 570. I'll be thankful if someone can help me somehow. Webpage

My Computer Specifications:

• Processor: AMD Athlon X2 340 Dual Core

• Graphics card: Gigabyte R9 270X 2GB

• Motherboard: MSI FM2-A55M-E33

• BIOS: Up to date

• RAM: 4GB

• PSU: Zeus Force 600W

0 Likes
2 Replies

Sound like someone sold you a bad GPU card in my opinion.

Run OCCT PSU and GPU and GPU MEMTEST and see if it shuts down or you start seeing artifacts during the testings. Keep a sharp eye on Temperatures and Fan speeds and PSU outputs during the testing.

If you had another GPU to install and it works fine then that would indicate a faulty GPU card your bought or the same thing occurs if you install it in another computer.

EDIT: I noticed that you have only 4 GB of System RAM Installed. That is barely enough to run Windows 10 Pro.

Also your motherboard only has one PCIe x 16 2.0 slot and the GPU is a PCIe  3.0 card. But that shouldn't be a problem since it probably is backwards compatible to PCIe 2.0 .

Most PC hardware gives a thermal warning at 80C then shuts down at 83 or 85C to avoid damage.

It does indeed sound like you either have a bad or dying GPU perhaps even a failing cooling unit.

50C is a standard max load temp on effectively cooled systems.

Also most GPU's and games now run on 8GB VRAM and a minimum of 8GB system RAM (Recommended system ram is 16GB). 

You may want to check your PC for dust buildup as this can greatly reduce heat dissipation.

You may be able to extend the life of your current system just by doing some routine cleaning.

I clean my PC tower out one a month.