Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sp4wn
Journeyman III

Graphic color dithering/graining issue

Hi everyone,
I've got my hands on a new GPU, but I noticed a weird grainy graphical issue. I can be seen in this video: https://imgur.com/a/bEsKvue

First things first, PC specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Mem: Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB 3600MHz
  • GPU: MSI Radeon RX 6750 XT
  • SSD: Kingston 1TB NVMe NV2 SSD
In the background you see that the depth of field isn't rendered as 'faded out' but more like jaggered out, as you would see in a heavy compressed video or GIF. I've seen it in other places as well, such as Just Cause 3, animated desktop wallpapers or just pictures on the internet.

I did some research beforehand and this is the list of thing I tried to fix it:
  • It looks like there are two (or even more) upscaling settings are overlapping eachother. I turned off every upscaling both in-game and in AMD Adrenaline. While turning everything off doesn't solve the problem, it does seem to reduce it. (example video above is with everything turned off)
  • Another suggestion on the web was to see how 'screen space reflections' and other SS settings behave. The problem is reduced by turning all those settings off, but does not solve it. Anti-aliasing and filmic strength are maxed out.
  • The game resolution is sometimes changed by the game itself, and having a lower resolution than the display makes the issue worse. Turning your resolution to 4K and playing on a 1080p monitor does seem to look a bit better, but is very heavy on the GPU.
  • It could be a faulty install of MW2, so I first checked the integrity of the gamefiles and also tried reinstalling. Both had no effect.
  • The GPU or the drivers could also be faulty, so I wiped all drivers (MB, CPU and GPU) with DDU and reinstalled them, but it did not have any effect. Even did a clean windows install, also no effect.
  • Swapping the AMD card for an Nvidia does not solve the problem either.
  • The display or HDMI/DP cable could also be the problem, but the issue is still there after switching monitors and cables. Should not make any difference, since the issue can be seen on the video.
  • I tried changing color settings and looked for dithering online, but no success on that behalf.
After trying a lot I think it might be an overall issue on my computer, not gaming related and after everything I've tried there does not seem to be a fix for this issue. I might be looking in the wrong place, or somewhere in my settings there might be an entry messing up everything. Right now I feel a bit lost and that is why I'm posting this now. Does anybody here know how this could be fixable?
0 Likes
0 Replies