Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Graphic card compatibility with system

Jump to solution

I'm wondering if someone can help me with compatibility question? I have a Gigabyte GA880GM-USB3 Mobo w/ 500w power supply  WIN7 and just bought a Radeon RX470. is this going to work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Graphic card compatibility with system

Jump to solution

If it's working fine with that motherboard, then you can buy a new PSU and it should work fine, assuming you get a quality unit and not some Chinese Firecracker like you have now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

1) Does the motherboard have UEFI?

Yes - Go to 2.

No - Incompatible.

2) Does that power supply have a single +12v power delivery rail rated at a minimum of 35A?

Yes - Compatible.

No - Incompatible.

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

1) Does the motherboard have UEFI?

Yes - Go to 2.

No - Incompatible.

2) Does that power supply have a single +12v power delivery rail rated at a minimum of 35A?

Yes - Compatible.

No - Incompatible.

I'm not familiar with UEFI...with that said I dont believe so...how would i have known if nothing on the box refered to that? just keep up with technology i guess? lol

the power supply does have a dedicated 6 pin, not sure what its rated for..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

If you can use a mouse in BIOS, it is UEFI. What is the make and model of your PSU?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

ok so no I do not have a UEFI functional BIOS...

the PSU is a PIXXO PL500RPF

your 100% sure its not compatible? I'm getting mixed input..but I would want to trust the people that work for the company that manufactured it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

I'll make it clear: DO NOT BUY A NEW GRAPHICS CARD! Your power supply is what we call a Chinese Firecracker. It's rated for 33 amps at +12v combined, which is only 396w, meaning you effectively have a 396w PSU, or you did when it was new, capacity decreases ~2% per year due to aging, and since it's split into two rails everything except the CPU has to share 203w (minus 2% per year old it is), including fans and drives, so you're incompatible on both fronts. Buy a quality unit, like a Corsair 550-650w, and then you can buy a graphics card, but without UEFI any modern card after the HD 7000 series has a good chance of errors.

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks for reply..quite funny may I add....so in the process of waiting for your response, I took a shot and put in the card and downloaded the drivers and all seems well...BUT.......as you stated, the PSU is a bit old and I think its on its way out like you said...I had 2 abrupt shutdowns when attempting to test this card..(example: loading a game in Steam)

Soooooo.....since it is functioning fine without the UEFI bios...can I upgrade to a new PSU and try that angle?? (do you recommend?)
or return this one (Radeon 470), dull down on the new cards performance specs (if you can recommend one) , and still get a new PSU since its prob going to die sometime down the road..

Thanks again for the help so far...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

If it's working fine with that motherboard, then you can buy a new PSU and it should work fine, assuming you get a quality unit and not some Chinese Firecracker like you have now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

So I just installed my new Corsair 750w PSU and we are smooth sailing.....thanks for the help and knowledge you provided..

how do I set this thread to resolved?

thanks

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Choose a post as the correct answer.