Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

lucky_39
Adept I

GPU2 has more VRAM than GPU1

Hello Community,

Well here is the thing, my GPU2 has more VRAM than my GPU1. My laptop detects only GPU1 as the high performance graphic card. Certain graphic content is only visible to me when I disable my GPU1 and use only GPU2. But when I try to launch any game while my GPU1 is disabled, I get an error message from the launcher that no graphic card detected or something similar. I am trying to switch or somehow make my GPU2 usable as a primary one. I could not find any way to allot more VRAM to my GPU1 from the BIOS. I need help regarding this issue. Any kind of possible solutions or suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks in advance. 

My specs:

CPU - AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics - 4 Cores
RAM - 8 GB

GPU1 - AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics - Primary/Integrated/Switchable
VRAM1 - 1024 MB - DDR3 800 MHz

GPU2 - AMD Radeon HD 8500M - Discrete/Switchable
VRAM2 - 2048 MB - DDR3 900 MHz

Jack
0 Likes
10 Replies

Your Integrated Graphics vRAM is set by BIOS. You can have a minimum of 516? MB of vRAM or up to a maximum of 2 GB vRAM. But with some laptops you don't have a BIOS Option to set your Integrated Graphics vRAM amount.

IF by chance your laptop BIOS does have that option you can change the amount of vRAM for your Integrated Graphics that is uses.

Remember that the vRAM the Integrated Graphics uses is actually your System Memory. If you allocate 2 GB of vRAM that means your have 2 GB less of System RAM to use in running your laptop.  So that is probably why on some laptops that Option is unavailable due to your laptop's amount of System RAM.

While the discrete GPU has a permanent amount of vRAM on it already. This you can't change.

Also Dual Graphics function is now done by Windows Settings under Graphics. In Windows Settings you can choose which GPU you want as the primary for each specific APP or Game you use.

0 Likes

Hi again, thanks for replying. As you have mentioned about the BIOS, I've tried using that to increase my VRAM but found no solution there. Also my windows settings - graphics only detects my GPU1 as the 'high performance' graphic cards and it doesn't even show my GPU2. I'm trying to figure it out but I'm landing at all dead ends always. 

Jack
0 Likes

Okay you have a laptop. Can you post the exact Make & Model or Serial Number so I can find out what drivers the OEM has for this laptop?

It is best to use your Laptop's Support OEM AMD Driver because it is 100% compatible with your laptop. You should use the AMD generic driver if the OEM AMD driver is really Out-dated.

I would first install the OEM AMD APU Driver and see if everything works. Also resetting your BIOS back to Optimize or Factory defaults. In case you have setting that is causing the issue.

Make sure your laptop has the latest BIOS and CHIPSET installed from your OEM Support download page.

Here is the latest AMD APU Driver for your laptop: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a8-series-apu-for-laptops/a8-6410-radeo...

This driver will install both your Integrated Graphics and Discrete Graphics GPU drivers automatically. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update.

Both the APU and Discrete GPU Drivers have the same latest date so both are supported.

Go to Device Manager and under Display and see if you see both GPUs or just one is showing. Also check for any errors or yellow exclamation marks showing.

Download GPU-Z and make sure at the bottom of the image there are at least 3-4 boxes check marked: OpenCL, OpenGL, etc.

You have the Option in BIOS to increase or decrease the Integrated Graphics vRAM?

@kingfishis the person who is very familiar with Dual Graphics and how they work. Maybe he can offer some suggestions or explain why the discrete is not showing in Windows settings.

0 Likes

Sure thing. My BIOS and Windows are currently the latest versions. I am using a Lenovo G50-45 laptop with machine model number 80E300FSIN. My serial number is PF0ADUD5. Meanwhile I will try the latest AMD GPU Driver. I am sure it my adrenalin software is also up to date. Thanks again.

Jack
0 Likes

Okay inputted your Laptop's Serial Number for your model and this is the page that popped up for all your Driver downloads: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ae/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/g50-45-note...

Here is Lenovo's AMD APU Driver for your laptop. I suggest you use DDU with the internet disconnected and delete C:\AMD folder in the Root directory and remove the current AMD generic APU driver and install Lenovo's own AMD APU Driver to see if it changes anything: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ae/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/g50-45-note...

You can always run Lenovo's Diagnostic to see if you have any Hardware or software issues: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ae/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/g50-45-note...

Make sure your Windows if fully updated via Windows Update first.

Note: On some Laptops you can't disable the Integrated Graphics since the discrete GPU works in conjunction with the Integrated Graphics.

Also in some laptops the Discrete GPU card won't be used unless it is needed to be used to run High Performance apps. Otherwise the Integrated Graphics is the one that will be used unless the Discrete GPU is needed.

0 Likes

Okay lemme try that quickly. Meanwhile I wanted to mention that I repaired my adrenalin 20.11.2 and also tried recommended version 20.9.1 but there is NP change in my game graphics. 

Jack

When you try to run apps with the discrete GPU card are you plugged in or are you using battery?

If you are using Battery the discrete GPU card may not be used as much to save battery power but if plugged in the Discrete GPU card should be used.

0 Likes

Hi again, Yes I generally use my laptop while plugged in for the maximum performance. I tried that VGA drivers and updated to the latest version after deleting the AMD root folder. Now its adrenalin version 20.9.1. Also in addition, after the update is installed and before restarting my laptop, I can see the 'Home, Gaming, Streaming, Performance' tabs in the adrenalin software. Also at this point of time my GPU2 isnt detected by my laptop. Certain graphic content is only visible to me while my GPU2 is disabled. And after I restart to finish the update, the 'streaming' tab is gone and my GPU2 is enabled back. Can you please look into this issue too? Thanks in advance.

Jack
0 Likes

Okay I am out of suggestions beside don't manually disable any of your GPUs in your laptop.

See if you can do a In-Place Windows 10 Repair. You run the Windows 10 Installation version you now have installed when you are at Windows Desktop. This will install a new Windows Folder and migrate all your 3rd party apps to the repaired Windows.

Did you run Lenovo's Diagnostics on your laptop as a Troubleshooting step by any chance?

See if that helps any otherwise:

Open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

See what they suggest.

Also open a Support ticket with your Lenovo's  Support and see what they suggest.

Maybe some other Users will have some more suggestions on how to fix your issue.

Note: As a last resort you can always Reset your laptop using your laptop's Recovery disc or Partition to Reset or Recover your laptop to the way it was when you first purchased the laptop and see if everything works.

0 Likes

Well honestly I've been exhausted too looking for a solution. Yes I've run the Lenovo diagnosis and everything was fine. And I've opened a support ticket a day ago and I'm waiting for a response. Thank again for looking into my issue. Guess I'll wait for the support team to reply me. I'll update here as soon as I find a solution. 

Jack