cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

BluLem7
Adept II

GPU Utilization LOW 6900XT / Cry Engine DX11

In two games that are based off the CryEngine, I'm getting GPU under utilization when running these games. (Archeage 64bit Client & Star Citizen 64bit client)   GPU Utilization is only around 12%

Due to above, the performance is so bad in the game that it's unplayable.  Even lowering the game settings very low still yields a very bad experience.

I've tried to explicitly set MINIMUMS within the AMD Radeon Graphics software (v. 21.12.1) for those games, but that didn't stick.
I've tried totally removing, factory resetting and reinstalling AMD drivers to no avail.

This is a clean Windows 10 Pro 64bit Build.  A new system build

SPECS:
CPU: AMD 5900X
RAM: G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 TridentZ
GPU: MSI AMD RX 6900XT GAMING X TRIO
PSU: Corsair HX1200 

The Oddity:  Prior to the latest Radeon Graphics software (v. 21.12.1) update I performed, the PC failed to identify a second monitor on the first cold boot of the day.  Swapping the Display ports for the monitors fixed that, and post that I updated to (v. 21.12.1).  Before all this happened.  Star Citizen was running very well with no issues on GPU utilization.
*I rolled back to prior driver version, where Star Citizen worked well on and that didn't matter....

Is there some setting or scenario where I can FORCE my 6900XT to recognize the above two games and make sure the GPU is utilized accordingly?

Just a note, the GPU runs fine running DOOM Eternal with vulcan API at 4k and I get around 110fps.  No issues on GPU Utilization.

I mean, it's a new and very expensive GPU AMD.  I'd like to not have such issues right out of the gate.
Could you please help?

As I understand it with google searching, this type of issue IS NOT NEW.

1 Solution

After MANY MANY hours and a few rebuilds I finally found the culprit software that was causing the problem.

HDX_RealTime_Media_Engine_2.9_for_Windows
Related to: CitrixWorkspaceAppDisableUpdate

No issues with Intel CPU and nVidia GPU when running this software.

Bug report sent to AMD.  Let's hope they can fix this, for those needing above software in order to do remote work.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Thomasdk1405
Adept III

Hi

I only have the problem in BF2042 75-85 gpu usage all ultra 1440p and 110-115 fps. All other games is fine. vsync off - future frames on. Cpu usage is like 40% and is 3800x so not cpu problems. BF5 full throttle 180-200 fps on ultra 1440p dx11. Dx12 stink here. BF2042 is dx12 only. Either its the game or the driver. First day of 6900xt I did have 99% gpu usage and 160-175 fps but after patch - the pp-29 fix patch it was bad. Tried everything I could find.

Note around that time I also used a driver delete cleaner (ddu) so perhaps that one did something bad ? Will try to go back - system restore point. I switched from Nvidia. Will let you know if I find something.

0 Likes

I tried the DDU Tool.

Still nothing.

I really feel that for some reason AMD Drivers aren't recognizing the CryEngine games when they're launched (and when I'm in the game) to tell the GPU that it needs to kick in and start working.  I mean 10-15% or so just doesn't cut it.

I'm monitoring the software and task manger of the system and both confirm that the 6900XT ain't pulling any weight for those titles..

It's crazy that my old system 7700K / 1080TI can outperform a 5900X / 6900XT when it comes to these games at the moment.

Again, for a brief miracle moment before all this trouble happened today, I could load up Star Citizen and things were buttery smooth.   Same Drivers etc installed and everything at that time was at default when I had that experience.  No fiddling with any settings.

I'm not sure what to do except maybe return the 6900XT and go for a 3080TI or something.

It'd be a shame...  I hope someone from AMD can help with this

I went in so far as to follow this guys recommendations in settings across the board:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DULIavIYZvo

Didn't make a difference.
GW2 = No Problem
DOOM(2016) = No Problem
CryEngine games still a problem (Archeage Unchained / Star Citizen)

I NOTICED THAT when in the above problem games, the screen shimmers or fades to a darker color rapidly.

I suppose people could point to my PSU, but it's a new Corsair HX 1200 and this issue doesn't happen in all games.

0 Likes

Here is another useful thread somewhat regarding this:

TITLE ON AMD REDDIT:  Radeon RX 6800 major problems in cryengine games

One point within this thread states:

This is a known issue on AMD cards on Windows 10. Apparently it's something to do with the Windows Timer Resolution.

Edit 2: It seems to have to do with Microsoft going to a Tickless kernel in Windows 8 and newer which messes with CryEngine and AMD GPUs for some reason.

So like.  It seems there's some definite things going on here that haven't gotten any attention or resolution within AMD drivers in order to handle this.

Again, would appreciate attention from AMD on this with some work-around resolution that is confirmed, at minimum.

I mean, we're talking about a $1500+ GPU here.  Not pocket change....

0 Likes

After MANY MANY hours and a few rebuilds I finally found the culprit software that was causing the problem.

HDX_RealTime_Media_Engine_2.9_for_Windows
Related to: CitrixWorkspaceAppDisableUpdate

No issues with Intel CPU and nVidia GPU when running this software.

Bug report sent to AMD.  Let's hope they can fix this, for those needing above software in order to do remote work.

I don't have such software installed, but issue is the same.

It's about 20 FPS, utilization jumps from 5% to 40%.

MSI 6900XT, Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2 monitors.

0 Likes

I'm late to the party on this one but this partly Cryengine's issue and partly Microsoft's issue and best I can tell partly AMD's issue.

Since Windows 10 version 2004 was released Microsoft made changes that prevents the "timer resolution" from being changed system wide. Prior to this in windows 10 you could run a program called TimerTool and set it to 0.5 and it would fix the issues.

Websites like PCGamingWiki actually suggest playing these Cryengine games on Windows 7 because of the way they run on Windows 10.

Edit: Here is one trick you can try that worked for me with Crysis 3. You will need RTSS installed. In RTSS add Crysis3.exe from the game's install path to the list and change the framrate limit to 200. Launch Crysis 3 and disable vsync. Once in game the FPS should be above 64fps and your GPU usage should be much higher than it was.

0 Likes
sergux
Adept II

Evolve is a cry engine game then i wanna cry too cuz i love that game i have rx 6900 r9 5900x that high end stuff
i tried dxvk and it improve a little but no as i expected, i used timer tool too but barely improve.20230425182710_1.jpg20230425182514_1.jpg

0 Likes