Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mickk4224
Journeyman III

GPU stopped being detected

Hi,

I own a Radeon R9 390

My PSU is 650W

I got black screen on both my monitor, but the sound was still on. Rebooted and everything worked fine.
I got another black screen on both my monitors today, but now it won't come back. I can only use my PC through the motherboard's HDMI. 
The GPU fans and lights are working, but it cannot be detected.

1. I tried to remove the GPU and put in back on, didn't work. I did the same with the power supply inputs. The pins seem totally fine and there is no sign of dammage, except that the GPU might be a little loose, but I doubt that that is the problem. 

2. I tried desinstalling the drivers and reinstalling them, but I can't reinstall them because "AMD graphic hardware was not found". 
3. I looked in my BIOS and set it to PCIE on boot, but it did not work. The GPU doesn't show up in the BIOS browser. 

I don't have any other PC in which I could put my GPU to test it. I also don't have another GPU I could put in my motherboard's pins. 

I don't know what to do. Is my only option to send the GPU back for repair? I don't even know if it's broken. 

Thank you for your help. 

0 Likes
5 Replies

This has been a huge issue on these cards. Is it still showing video at post through the bios with the R9? If so your card is probably still good. If not then the card probably overheated and died. I truly believe the driver / Windows Update conflict is causing this and it is killing HD7xxx series and R7 & 9 series cards. 

Now with how to fix if it is still woking. Just take that card out. 

Do a few things: 

Disable Windows from Auto Updating Drivers, if you don't know how use this link: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10 

Disable Hibernation and Fast Startup: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup 

It is a nice article but does't cover the biggest reasons to disable it, it doesn't even speed things up on SSD, it also introduces many potential issues as the cached hibernation file contains old driver data that will potentially corrupt your driver install. So getting rid of this file all together and disabling Windows from auto updating drivers keeps two potential nightmares from happening. These issues combined with AMD drivers not being able to stop this either combine to be a perfect storm that IMHO are killing cards.  So avoid both and you will be in general way better off!

Make sure all Windows updates are installed, even optional and especially .net.  Rescan a couple times and make sure. Don't just open it and if it says it's up to date close it. You have to scan for updates. 

Now download the latest driver (currently 19.2.1)  from AMD but don't install it yet. Just have it on your drive. 

Download the latest copy of DDU from Wagnardsoft.com. Don't run it yet.

Go to settings or control panel where you can remove apps. Uninstall any AMD driver for the GPU you see there.

Now restart into safe mode, it has to be in safe mode.

Disconnect from the internet, unplug or turn off wifi.

Run DDU, follow the instructions. Delete all GPU drivers. 

Reboot to normal and leave the internet off.

Now install the AMD driver again, if it still has a clean install option, use it! If not that is good as all AMD stuff is already gone. Once installed reboot and hopefully, and finally all is working.

I hope your card isn't toast. 

Good Luck!

First, thank you for putting all of this together! I also have Radeon R9 390 that works during windows boot and then goes to a blank screen. It works in safe mode and I've had a heck of a time getting drivers to reinstall. Walking this process got me there and for the first time I could boot outside of safe mode to install the drivers. Unfortunately, once I installed them it went back to the black screen.

One thing I've noticed.The fans on the card spin until the screen goes blank, then they stop. The card is still working because the fins will slowly heat up. The one exception was his last reinstall. When I booted with no driver, installed the driver, and went to black screen - the fans continued to spin. But on reboot, they stopped. The always spin in safe mode.

Also, I was getting the driver unsigned issue so I booted with F7. 

Any other ideas before I give up entirely and start with a new card?

0 Likes

If you didn't disable Windows Update from updating drivers and disconnect from the Internet then repeat the process and do that. Also if you didn't disable fast startup do that.

I should have clarified, it's still not connected to the internet when this happens. No wifi card and not built in to the motherboard, I double checked the device manager, and the ethernet cable is physically unplugged. It runs through the whole install, looks like it's about to re-render, and then it goes black.

I verified that group policy have drive update disabled and that fast start is turned off. I ran the process again and got the same result. I just tried it a 3rd time with 18.12.3, same result. I hear a couple of system noises and then I'm at the blank screen. 

0 Likes

At this point you have to figure out if it is the OS or hardware. An easy thing to try is make a Linux USB os startup disk. If the card is working in Linux, it isn't the card. You can also pull the card and try it in another computer if you have one available to you. If you want to stick to testing windows. If you have an old hard drive not in use. Unplug your drive and install windows on the other drive and see if a clean install works with the card or not on that drive. This will rule out malware in the boot sector being the root of any issue too.