cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mattluk
Newcomer

GPU overheating when playing games

So recently i have been having some trouble with my GPU, i have an RX470, the fans don't constantly spin even when playing intensive games leading to overheating, i installed MSIAfterburner in an attempt to fix it, i disabled automatic fan speed and set it to 65% giving me 2550 RPM, i thought this may fix the problem as on auto it was fluctuating between 0-30%, this had led to me having a lower idle temperature, but still when playing games it will sit at a consistent 90 degrees, then after about half an hour the computer will just shut off, i'm looking into buying a new case, just in the off chance the airflow around my current case isn't good enough, i'd quite like to avoid purchasing a new GPU as its not currently financially possible.

Any ideas anyone has i'll be happy to try out.

Thank you in advance

Matt

0 Likes
4 Replies

First you need to uninstall MSI Afterburner after making sure you reset the GPU card back to "Default Settings"

Then Activate AMD Wattman to control your GPU Fans.

MSI Afterburner and other similar 3rd party software are not totally compatible with AMD Wattman, even though Wattman is not installed.

Someone like kingfish​ or others can show you how to properly configure Wattman for the fans to work correctly.

BTW, if you feel it might be a case of poor circulation in the Computer case, remove one side panel and see if the temperature lowers while using the computer.

OK, didn't know about those "requirements" assumed that since the post was approved there wasn't any problems, i will read through those posts, so thank you for replying

0 Likes

If you have further questions > INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

0 Likes