Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

lofty89
Adept I

GPU making buzzing noise.

Here is a video of the noise: gpu noise - YouTube 

So my PC is making a weird/buzzing/ticking noise as the GPU ramps up while loading a game or a superposition. This is a brand new computer. 

The GPU was bought off Amazon, so I did a return and replace and the new GPU to come in has the same issue. One is worst than the other, plus the new GPU that came it gets lower clocks 1270 compared to 1315

The test finishes and can play a full game (only tested apex legends). Just the noise is odd and is a bit confusing. 

Temps are around 75 at stock and if I do increase the power limit to 50 they go to 81-85 degrees.

Settings are at stock. But did increase the power limit to test: Temps are around 75 at stock and if I do increase the power limit to 50 they go to 81-85 degrees.

I have updated the bios, the AMD chipset (tried from bios page and AMD page), updated graphics drivers.

Specs:

Asus B450m-a/csm

Ryzen 5 1600

XFX rx 580 XXX 8 GB   

Antec Edge 650W 80 Gold

16GB Adata XPG 3000 Mhz 

9 Replies
rombat
Adept I

lofty89, that sounds like coil whine this happens when your video cards produce so much FPS that it causes your chips to vibrate causing your sound. It is normal for video cards to do this. To reduce coil whine turn on your vsync or cap your frames with a frame limiter. You can check this you tube video out:   How to reduce coil whine from your Video Card - YouTube 

Thank you for the response. Will check that out.

Another weird thing, no matter how high my fans ramp up my temps stay the same around 75 if at stock or 85-89 when power limit is set to +50. Is this my PSU taking air away from the GPU by being mounted facing up? Was doing that to act as an extra exhaust.

0 Likes

lofty89 have you tried to under-volt your GPU using WattMan AMD, you can lower your GPU power usage so less heat will build up. As for your fan array if the power supply fan is directly under your GPU fan yes that can be an issue. But if your GPU fan is not directly on top of your power-supply fan you should be OK do you have fans pulling air into your case like say front of your case? If not you need to have one or more placed there pulling air into your case.

0 Likes

I would say there is about  3 to 3.5 inches between the PSU and the GPU fans. Its a Cooler Master Q300L case. I have 2 140mm Bequiet fans in the front running as intake at 1000 rpms and then i have 2 exhaust fans 1 top back and 1 rear fan. 

I have since undervolted the card but temps stay the same, roughly around 75° C while gaming but the clock speeds now seem to hit the 1366 MHZ clock and stay there. I undervolted stages 5-7 to 1090mV. 

I tried undervolting and setting the power limit to +50 but temps still went up to 85-89° C. Benchmarking still finishings but seems increasing fan speed, have tried 40%, 50%, 60%, 75% and temps stay the same.

Should i flip the PSU?

0 Likes

I would try flipping the fan over and see if it helps any you can always flip it back if you need too. Hmmm did you try lowering your GPU clock and video memory clock down some that can help to lower your GPU temperature.

0 Likes

First don't undervolt an RX 580, as another said,this is great advice on a Vega not a good first thing to try on a 580. The 580's need the power for stability. You can underclock them and get them stable but it also kills performance and there is better fix.

As you already did raise the power limit to 50. You also need a custom fan and temp curve. The defaults suck and just don't work.

Here are my settings for reference use my fan curve. I have mine overclocked. Don't try overclocking your card until everything is good and stable. I don't recommend overclocking a card until you know its okay to do so.

Beyond my fan and temp curves. Use the CHILL FEATURE. Set the MAX to about 72 and this will also help keep the temperatures in check my card gets pretty flaky over 75. You can set all these settings custom to each game in the game profiles to so you are not locked into global settings if you don't want them. Also remember if the driver crashes it returns to defaults so save your settings to a profile for easy reload and if things start acting funny make sure your settings are still set.

My settings:

0 Likes

I wanted to add and forgot. You talked about the noise part. Noise can be coil wine. I can't here it for myself to know. But noise like that can be an indicator of faulty hardware. Don't be afraid on new hardware to exercise your right to get an RMA, it's never impossible you just got a lemon.

0 Likes

Wouldn't those fans be extremely loud? Even around 70% seems very loud.

The undervolt i have applied actually seems to let the clock stay at 1366 rather than flucuate on stock settings. I've adjust the fans to be at constant 65% during gaming (2300 RPMs). The noise seems to surpess after some time. 

As for your suggestion: Enabling CHill and setting max to 72, do you mean 72 as the highest FPS? This machine is used on a 144hz monitor, would want it to be hitting those frames in games on the proper settings to achieve that. 

0 Likes

Yes fans are loud I wouldn't call them extremely loud, but you might. But the card throttles like crazy with instability and stuttering if you don't. Yes if if you bought this card to drive a 144hz monitor, unless your doing it a lower than 1080p you likely didn't pair your graphics card well with the monitor you are trying to drive. Unless you are only talking e sports games?

You can set all those settings per game, however your want them for each individual game. You have have global settings but if you want say a higher demand game that you can't possibly get anywhere near 144hz on for instance you can set chill to limit to what the top of the frames your getting anyway to control throttling. The individual game profiles when enabled override the global settings.

You are certainly welcome to underclock and undervolt all you want, and it will likely give you stability with the card too (but a big performance hit)  and yes it will be quieter assuming that is keeping your temps down. If that is you goal. My goal is typically to keep the best performance I can get out of a card. I run my RX 580 on a 1440p 75 hz monitor and the 580 can't push any current AAA game to 75hz at max settings. It can do 45-60 on most though. Not sure how you are ever going to utilize a 144hz monitor with that card unless you are going very low resolution or playing only non-demanding games or running med to low settings. From my experience on those 580s the lower settings don't benefit it much in frames that card really is optimized well for the eye candy settings it just has it's limitations. It's a great 60hz card.  

By all means try any settings you can. Figure out what works and remember you can do different settings with Wattman on a game by game basis in the game profiles. 

0 Likes