Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

luna
Adept I

GPU high temps on idle 144hz refresh monitor

Hello, 

I've assembled my first AMD based rig. I'm quite surprised and happy by the results. It's something I wanted to do for a long time.

The thing is, my new Sapphire RX 5700 Pulse has high temps on idle, about 50-55°C with a 144hzrefresh monitor. I had to create a custom fan curve to lower the temps to 40-45°C. 

Is this normal? Never had this issue before with Nvidia, could be a Radeon or Sapphire thing? Did anyone experience the same thing? 

Thanks in advance !

9 Replies
chuteboxe
Adept I

Hi, try to set 120hz refresh rate. If not availible you can create a profile with Adrenalin. If it solves the issue then take a look here max memory clocks at 144Hz.

0 Likes

Yes. 120Hz works fine. I'm playing around with the CRU software, 142hz works fine as well, it looks like certain refresh rates and monitors are causing the problem.

0 Likes
ves
Adept II

It's because the memory clock get stuck: https://community.amd.com/thread/241665 

0 Likes

Interesting, thanks for the info.

There is no solution on the horizon, for what I read. Switching to AMD was a great idea after all (facepalm)

0 Likes
crusi
Adept II

The same at 75Hz.

I hope they fix it soon, because its annoying (unnecessary hot and loud)

0 Likes
luna
Adept I

I solved the idle problem by using the CRM and changing my refresh rate to 142.

While I'm gaming my VRAM memory clock is stuck at 1750Mhz, now I'm wondering, is it normal when playing video games? It stays at constant 1750Mhz, doesn't change, ever.

0 Likes

144.003 refresh rate using CRM worked as well.

0 Likes

I am using dual monitor setup, IPS@75hz that is set to 60hz atm and my TN 144hz that is now set to 60hz too, I used this monitor for like 3 years at 144hz and my RX580 was all the time at 2000mhz vram with temps around 47c to 50c idle, now with the high refresh rate monitor at 60hz because I don't mind since I don't game and when I do the refresh goes to 144hz but the difference is abysmal and baffles me why AMD still didn't fix this, the temp is now 36c with 6w consumption instead of 25w+ just because the vram is clocked at 300mhz instead of 2000mhz, is 2000mhz really needed for 144hz? or 120hz? something needs to be done but years go by and still the same issue.

0 Likes
chuteboxe
Adept I

I recently had a vega 56 with this there were no problems. I have now exchanged this for a sapphire 5700 xt nitro + and the memory clock stuck problem started. To the AMD driver developers just copy the settings from the vega 56 driver into the 5700, that should be possible or not?

0 Likes