cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

bakljas
Adept I

GPU Fans started to produce resonanting noise and what program to set fan curve?

I have RX 580 Nitro which from yesterday got this problem. Usually it happens form 1100 to 1300RPM during gaming and when fan is slowing down. Is there any solution to this? I presumme if I send it to RMA I will just get the new fans not the GPU? Wher can I buy fans separately?

What program is best to set a custom fan curve (and maybe undervolt) - MSI afterburner or Wattman?? Do these two can work together?

0 Likes
21 Replies

Wattman would be the best choice, in my opinion, since it was engineered for AMD GPUs.

Check the GPU fans and make sure they are clean without any gunk or dust buildup. Also turn the fans with your finger (no power on). It should turn effortlessly and quietly. If you feel any resistance or hear any type of noise the fan's bearing may have gone or or going bad. Also check to make sure there are no obstructions that may be interfering with fan's function. like a small cable in the way of the fan's blades as an example.

One more thing to check is if the GPU card is solidly secured to the motherboard and Computer case. Possible if the GPU card is tilted slightly it may cause the fans to be slight bent causing noise when running.

0 Likes

Today I cleaned my case, took out the GPU out, there were some dust behind GPU fans (not much), cleaned all and I put it back in. My case is Define R5 and in default position holes on GPU and holes on case are not a aligned so I need to move a GPU a little so that screws can fit in holes. Seems after stress test that resonating noise on fans is 60% lower but need to test it more. I also in windows for the first time enter Wattman, it seems that it corrected a GPU fans curve, now it max is 1100RPM on 75C. This picture is from Aida64 stress test (all option). What is this GPU small usage spikes. Is this normal? On superposition (didn't take a picture) it seems to hold all time on 100% GPU usage.

e2e2e2e2e2.PNG

So everything OK?

0 Likes

I tested now in Superposition on 1080p extreme (not benchmark, it was a game test, didn't move a mouse) around 40mn, again I got this small spikes in GPU load, is that normal?

0 Likes

I wish I can help you with your other questions, but I don't own a RX580. Maybe someone else can help.

0 Likes

Game loads vary a lot with Polaris due to large number of CU present. Do not be concerned.

Focus on keeping dust out of your rig.

Ok, just to be clear you know that Superpostition is benchamark tool which has Game mode where I can walk around and where gpu usage is always 100%?  If yes than ok, by your answer I was thinking that you talk about general games.

I can still hear fans resonanting noise (it happens around 800rpm and 1100rpm), it still here but with less noise, to completely solve this I was thinking to buy only one replacement fan (with little luck I beliave that my gpu has one is faulty fan not two). On aliexpress I can find it cheapest, around 10$ but I suspicious are they original, in standard stores it is about 18€.

0 Likes

bakljas wrote:

Ok, just to be clear you know that Superpostition is benchamark tool which has Game mode where I can walk around and where gpu usage is always 100%?  If yes than ok, by your answer I was thinking that you talk about general games.

I can still hear fans resonanting noise (it happens around 800rpm and 1100rpm), it still here but with less noise, to completely solve this I was thinking to buy only one replacement fan (with little luck I beliave that my gpu has one is faulty fan not two). On aliexpress I can find it cheapest, around 10$ but I suspicious are they original, in standard stores it is about 18€.

Once the fan bearings are damaged from excess dirt they will need to be replaced.

Sapphire cards like mine are one screw to remove a fan making them a 5 minute job at worst

0 Likes

Speed of the fans with a GPU is usually dependent on what the OEM uses for a fan and the size of the cooling fins an sink beneath it. My fans on my RX 580 while the get noticeably louder as they reach their 3000 rpm peak, I don't notice any extra resonation or vibration noise, simple the extra air of the fins. 

If yours is doing that the fans could be going bad or defective. I would at least question Saphire support about it.

IMHO in general AMD does not set the fan cure aggressive enough for these cards. Many RX 580's begin to throttle in the mid 70's much lower than their supposed 90's max temp. I have to set mine to be running 100% at about 68 degrees to stay stable.

You don't want to undervolt an RX 580. This is popular with Vega and now some Navi users are reporting doing it. The architecture for Polaris is not the same and these cards are typically power starved not needing less. You typically want to set the power limit  to it's max of 50 for stability.

If you have a card you have to undervolt or underclock to be stable then you are likely losing performance. This to me means it is defective and should be returned or RMA'd.

Air flow it extremely important with Polaris. They are toasters and run very hot. I don't have a glass sided case and my side has wholes and a mount for a 140 mm fan that blows right on my PCIe slots. This helps a lot. If you think that heat is a contributing factor you can take your side panel off and use a small desk fan to blow into the case and if you see things are better than you know you have a case cooling issue.

I will share the Wattman settings I use and have good luck with. My clock and memory speeds may or may not work for you.

Thank you. I will contact Sapphire also to see what they have to say.

I think airflow shouldn't be a problem in my case, highest temp I seen on my RX 580 is 75C with 1300rpm. I was also thinking to activate fan in idle mode, to put it in lowest rpm. That good? With your advice I will probably give up on undervolting. Thank for the pictures but I can't see values on graphs, I will look more about it on forums and youtube videos.

Will there be any problems if I set settings in Wattman and than use Afterburner to measure temperatures and other things? Before I sold it to miners I had RX 480, right when she was released and during that time I occasionally got message that wattman settings were restored, that it crashed. But now drivers should probably be stable.

0 Likes

I see that your Sapphire RX580 has the Quick Disconnect feature which is you can replace the GPU Fan without removing the Shroud. I suggest you open a RMA Ticket with the Retailer you purchased the RX580 from since they are the ones that determines Warranty issues. They probably will send you new GPU Fans under Warranty if they believe they are defective free of charge under Warranty.

0 Likes

Yes my GPU is RX 580 Nitro+ which has easy removable fans. It is still one year under warranty. I don't like idea that I need it to send it all across europe just to be returned same gpu with a new fan and old warranty. I will try to contact sapphire first and see can I arrange something with them, maybe they can send me one fan. It is bought on Amazon.fr

0 Likes

Unfortunately, Sapphire Warranty doesn't go through Sapphire directly. You have to go thru Amazon.fr first (Retailer). Amazon.fr is the one that determines your Warranty request to Sapphire.

Here is Sapphire's Warranty RMA Policy from Sapphire Support:

0 Likes

Saphire may very well just send you replacement fans if you show proof of purchase. I have dealt directly with them and not the retails with zero issues. Usually they are pretty happy to try solutions that don't involve sending cards back and forth. Not sure how this differs though being not in USA? They all love it if you can get a retailer to take care of it though as it comes out of the retailers pocket not theirs. Regardless it doesn't hurt to ask. 

You don't have to hit that fan curve perfect was only saying it can help stability to have it ramp up to higher speed sooner than the normal curve. If heat is not an issues for yours then a default curve is fine. Saphire makes good cards. 

I don't recommend you mix Afterburner and Wattman. AMD does not endorse the use of any third party tweaking software. You can see all your temp with the AMD performance overlay. You could also download GPU-z. Usually when rx 480 or rx 580 crashes it is lack of enough of a power ceiling. This is what raising the Power Limit Slider to 50 helps. 

0 Likes

I have the power slider at +50 as well so that my RX 480 can have all the current it wants

I wish the driver would allow that and lock into the settings permanently, that and a custom fan is all I need

Fuzzy donut today was fun as it was cold and I needed to warm the place up

80 plus platinum does not waste heat so its a lost cause on a cold day

0 Likes

It is possible Sapphire has a different Warranty policy in the USA. But in the past, Several Users (AMD Forums) in Europe needed to go directly to the Retailer to get Warranty Service. They all went directly to Sapphire and was told they needed to go the place of purchase for warranty service. Sapphire probably pays all expenses to the Retailer when it concerns a Warranty issue.

But there is no harm in trying to see if Sapphire will send new GPU Fans under Warranty since it wouldn't involve sending in the GPU card.

But as you see in Sapphire's own RMA/WARRANTY Policy it does mention to take it to the place of purchase for Warranty Service.

0 Likes

Thanks to the digital coin mess, many video card vendors have crawled under a rock.

It's been a real problem for the gaming community, sapphire even dropped their forum completely

I was NOT arguing with your find. I have myself had them send me a fan with zero issues. I have no idea if their policies is, was, still is or ever was different than what you found. I only know I emailed them with my issue, I included my new egg receipt and they sent me a new dual fan assembly for my HD 7950. Now this was 4 years ago. A lot can change in 4 years. I do know that warranties vary largely on a lot of commodities depending on what country you are in.  It certainly doesn't ever hurt to ask. The other side of the coin in asking directly is that even if they require you to go through a retailer to ultimately get it fixed. They may even be able to sell you new fans directly and that might prove to be the easier way to go. Years ago I had XFX not be able to source a fan for me but they gave me the name of who they bought from and I bought one from that company. You can get a lot from the maker of the card even if it is just information.

0 Likes

I have been lucky, the sapphire fans fit the rx 470, rx 480, rx 570 and rx 580 nitro series

the nitro cooler works well so it has been in use for a long time so new fans are abundant

0 Likes

Thanks, I sent mail to Sapphire, hopping for the best

I just hope you get some help that minimizes as much of the hassle to your end as possible. Good Luck and let us know what happens. If Saphire helps directly that is good information. I know XFX helped me just last year with zero issues. These are the kinds of feedback that help us all know WHO to buy cards from that stand behind their products best.

After one week of conversation with Sapphire support they told me that they can send me a fan for 20$ (shipping included). I refused because it is very close to price in my country. Before that in conversation after I sent them a video of problem they told me: "Due to this SN was out of warranty period so that we can only sell the fan to you" which was strange to me because GPU was one year old. After that I sent them a picture of GPU box where SN is located. Overall I got impression that every time I talk with new guy who didn't read my previous post and problem description. Guess I'll have to set on a custom fan curve to try to reduce fan noise.

0 Likes