cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mrgizmo757
Newcomer

GPU fans only spin after overheating

i have a Saphire radeon r7 260x OC edition card.  Recently i noticed that my temps were higher then normal, and when playing games the fans would spin at 100% speed off and on during game play. I looked at my temps it was hitting 96c. So i took the side panel off my machine and cleaned the card. everything seemed fine. I noticed that the fan was not spinning. It's never done that before. This card dose not have the Zero RPM feature or Zero Core. ( as far as i know ). But even though the fan wasn't spinning the temps were ok. about 54c.  So i opened a game. and the temps hit 94c before the fan even moved. It went from 0% fan speed to 100% and then back to 0% again.  Looking at HWmonitor and AMD Wattman, it's telling me the fan is spinning at 1043 RPM even though it's not spinning at all. I can reach into the computer and move the fan with my finger, and the RPM reading will drop. I don't think it's a driver issue, i fully uninstalled the drivers and installed the latest ones cleanly. And i also booted up Linux on this same machine. The card is doing the same thing on both Windows and Linux and with both the old and new drivers. I'm thinking maybe the sensor for the fan is bad. But i'm not 100% sure. Just curious what you guys think. Is my card broke? Would it be worth it to order a cheap replacement fan off ebay or just invest in a new GPU?  

0 Likes
2 Replies

Since it's doing it on both Windows and Linux it does sound like a faulty card. It would be worth it to invest in a new GPU since I believe the R300/Fury series and earlier are likely to be moved to legacy support soon once the RX 5500 is released. The RX 560 can be found under $90 new, is slightly faster than the R7 260X, and draws less than half the power.

0 Likes

I found an RX 480 for peanuts so shop around. Lots of bargains on ebay for those who are patient.

0 Likes