cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

geomcd1949
Adept I

GPU fan behavior

Red Dragon RX 6800 [not XT]. Computer turns on but monitor is blank. Troubleshooting. I notice the GPU fans are not spinning, although its lights are lit. Wondering if the GPU fans only spin when the temperature warrants, or if they are supposed to spin all the time. -- If they're supposed to spin all the time, I'll know the problem is in the GPU.

Thanks.

George

0 Likes
7 Replies

I believe all the RX GPU series have Zero RPM feature where the GPU Fans only turns on when the GPU temperature reaches a certain temperature.

Make sure you have all the GPU Power cables connected.

Try different Video outputs on the GPU card.

Also you need to give your computer information for better suggestions.

Try connecting a different Monitor or your TV set to see if you get video output.

0 Likes

Thank you, Elstaci. Much appreciated. 

Computer worked fine until I turned it on yesterday. The machine is the one Steve built a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pKpLqiGgas w/ a few additions.: AMD 3950x, MSI x570 Unify, 128 GB DDR4 RAM, and the Red Dragon RX 6800.

Power cables connected securely at both ends.

Monitor works properly on other computers. Other monitors that work properly on other computers don't work on the machine in question.

Am not sure what you suggest by this: "Try different Video outputs on the GPU card." I get no video and know of no way of making any changes to the card [but if there is a way, would appreciate advice].

The next test I think should be trying the AMD 6800 card in another computer, and trying another GPU in the broke machine -- unless you have better suggestions that I haven't considered.

I ask if you are certain that the Red Dragon AMD RX 6800 [not XT] has the Zero RPM feature.

Thank you.

0 Likes

I believe all the RX series GPU Cards have that feature. 

What I meant by trying different video outputs is by trying the DP and HDMI ports on the GPU card for video output.

I agree that the best way to see if the GPU card is at fault is by installing on another computer. If the same thing happens I suggest you open a Warranty ticket to have the GPU Card  inspected or replaced especially if another GPU Card works fine in the same PCIe slot.

Went to Powercolor website where it states it uses Zero RPM Feature: https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1606212345

Screenshot 2021-10-26 150056.png

Generally, When you first power on the PC the GPU Fans should run for about 1-2 seconds and then shut off. That is because BIOS is testing the GPU card to make sure it is good.

Could also be poor power to the GPU card that is preventing it from working correctly. Just a thought.

Since you mentioned  everything was working fine until yesterday does seem to indicate a hardware failure. If you install a different GPU card and it works that pretty much tells you the RX6800 is the problem. Especially if the same problem transfers over to another computer with the same GPU card.

Anyways please keep me posted if you fix the problem or not. I know that is a very expensive GPU card.

Note: A few Users in the past had problems with various GPU Cards that had 2 or more GPU Power cables to connect. What the fix was not to use one PSU GPU power Cable to connect 2 or more GPU Power connections. Needed to use a separate PSU GPU power cable for each separate GPU power connection.

But that probably isn't the issue in your situation since it was working normally yesterday thus the GPU card was getting proper PSU power to the GPU card.

0 Likes

Thanks. I'm on it. Used the same DP cable for the tests, but will now try both a different one and some HD cables.

FWIW, I bought the components for this build in January and February of 2021 based on the 2019 GamersNexus build video, and the total was more than twice what GN's cost were. Crypto-farming, I guess. GN used a 2080 Super which I tried in the first instance, but the machine is for use for video editing  with Linux [Ubuntu 20.04] on Lightworks NLE,  and Linux doesn't work well with Nvidia cards. [Benchmarks were terrible.] So I sold the 2080 Super on eBay for what I paid for it [and it sold instantly] and got the AMD RX 6800. The benchmarks I got with this combo on the Lightworks benchmarks were other-worldly. But I think I forgot to knock on wood!

I'll work carefully through this based on your advice. I'm an old man who in retirement enjoys exploring this utterly fascinating digital world. A big component of that new world is the online community who freely share valuable advice on various forums. Would that governments cooperated so well. Thanks for yours.

~George 

Your speaking to the choir, LoL.

I am also a retired old man and former Service Technician that enjoys doing basic general troubleshooting here at AMD Forums. 

Anyways I hope you are able to isolate the problem with your video GPU Card.

-elstaci

I do not know if somebody already mentioned it but an easy test is to look out for your fans during the boot process. Normally during this phase all fans in your build are spinning despite of 0db mode.

0 Likes

Yes, I mentioned that in my previous reply that the GPU fan, in most cases, should turn on for 1-2 seconds while BIOS is checking the PC Hardware and then turn off.

Another way to check is by putting the GPU under a heavy load, like during a game or Stress test, and see if the fan start working.

0 Likes