cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

minaolenats
Journeyman III

GPU driver is crashing and 5700 XT is disabled in device manager

I have been having issues with my 5700 XT. When I first saw them, I thought they were driver issues, but the issues have not gone away.

Sometimes the driver crashes, and sometimes the GPU starts having this issue, and sometimes the screen freezes for 30 seconds after that goes black and if I restart the GPU is disabled.

I would like to know whether this is a driver issue or a broken GPU.

Edit: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: Msi 5700xt mech oc
PSU: Adata 750w XPG CORE REACTOR
RAM: 4x 8gb corsair vengeance lpx 2400mhz
MOBO: Gigabyte B450 gaming x
Bios: F63e
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx GTE V2 RGB

0 Likes
10 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

rest of PC specs? ..including make/model of your power supply .. speed of RAM .. type of cooling ..etc

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: Msi 5700xt mech oc
PSU: Adata 750w XPG CORE REACTOR
RAM: 4x 8gb corsair vengeance lpx 2400mhz
MOBO: Gigabyte B450 gaming x
Bios: F63e
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gammaxx GTE V2 RGB

0 Likes

CPU/GPU temps?

Make sure you are running separate power cables from your PSU to each power input on your GPU

Make sure you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed

I recommend updating your BIOS to the latest

What errors pop up in your system's Event Viewer?

Can you manually set PCIe x16 to GEN3? I had an issue with an ASRock X470 Master SLI with a  reference designed ASRock 5700XT .. I didn't get screen corruption, just straight reboots until I set the GPU slot to GEN2 .. at the time ASRock only had Auto/GEN2/GEN1 options in the BIOS.. they released a BIOS update shortly after the launch of the PCIe 4.0 5700xt so you could then manually select GEN3 because the motherboard was having issues Auto negotiating a correct working speed at the time... 

For testing .. maybe try just 2 sticks of RAM in slots A2/B2 .. even though your graphical glitching seems like a GPU over heating or failure type scenario unfortunately .. 

You could try turning up your fan curve if it is a heat issue

How's your airflow through  your case?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

I will monitor the GPU temperatures, but I was not gaming when it crashed.

The last time it crashed Event Viewer only said AMD GPU driver restarted successfully.

I have 3 120mm exhaust fans and 2 120mm intake fans.

I have the latest bios.

I set the GPU to PCIE 3.0.

I am not sure if I am running separate power cables because I use extensions.  I will look if I am running separate power cables.

My bios is the latest.

0 Likes

Is your case so big you need extensions or why? I would try without extensions as they are a likely culprit.

Because extensions look better

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

If you have not already, disable overclocking, especially memory overclocking. Make sure temperatures are ok. Maybe even underclock GPU for testing.

While 5000-series did not have this issue, maybe it now has. Disable hardware video acceleration from every installed web browser, even those you don't use. Start Edge, go to edge://flags/ and change angle graphic backend to OpenGL.

If this does not help, disable driver updates by Windows, then DDU current drivers and install new ones from www.amd.com 

If this doesn't help, there is an unfortunate possibility that your GPU is dead or dying.

0 Likes
minaolenats
Journeyman III

I just used DDU to install workstation drivers because I thought they were gonna be more stable, but I have had still had issues.

I am not overclocking.

0 Likes

For gaming, use gaming drivers.

0 Likes
minaolenats
Journeyman III

Took out the extensions and confirmed that the GPU had separate power cables and installed gaming drivers.

0 Likes