cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Esteemed Contributor III

Re: GPU crashing, Screen frozen, can still hear game sounds.

Asus should be able to tell you a good way to ship back. If you have any electrostatic bags from any electronics. Put the card in that first before wrapping it in bubble wrap or paper. I would suggest you keep you gpu boxes in the future. For this reason alone. I resell my GPU's sometimes and keeping the boxes is a big plus there too.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Just saw you said it is over 3 years. It may be out of warranty but asking sure can't hurt!  Before writing that card off, make sure to try it in another machine. If you don't have another maybe a friend can help you out. Then you will know for sure if it is your card. It can always be other components that are a problem like memory, motherboard and more often a power supply. Even a corrupt windows installation can be the culprit.

0 Kudos
Elite
Elite

If you are building the new high-end system yourself, I have a suggestion. Buy the PSU now and test that in your current system. If you are buying a custom built system that won't be an option.

One other thought comes to mind. Just for testing purposed, could you try a different PCI slot? I know you may get as may lanes. But it will give you another piece of information to factor into a resolution.

0 Kudos

still crashes on a different slot

0 Kudos

I think Ive solved my problem, I removed my GPU so I could get the code on it to submit an ASUS support ticket. I was inspecting the card while it was out of my system and somehow between the back-plate and PCB i notice a dust bunny caught between the two contacts of a capacitor. Ive cleared it out and inspected the card for anymore but it looks promising now. Im going to game a bit more just to check that it doesnt crash any more but Im hopeful that this has fixed the issue. 

Thanks pokester‌ and khun_doug‌ for your help.

After more testing, it appears that, that wasnt the problem, it was my cablemod vertical pcie extender that i probably shouldve mentions for troubleshooting reasons.

This is a bummer considering i had to modify my case and the extender so everything could fit nicely

20190321_195223.jpg

(1 slot taken out of the vertical mount as well as a hole in the bottom of the case so the GPU had clearance from my large CPU cooler)