Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Dr4xxus
Adept II

GPU black screen when installing drivers - Please Help

Hi all.

So about a week ago had a Blue screen in my Desktop PC when I would switch my computer on. After several attempts to repair it by using Windows tools I gave up and brought the PC to an engineer for repair.

They successfully manage to re-install the windows from scratch but they were only able to do it so by connecting the HDMI cable to my inbuilt Motherboard GPU and stated that my GPU was faulty/broken.

At home I tried again to make it work since to me it was odd that my GPU was broken even without any "physical" work/change on my PC. 

Now with access to windows I was able to start my PC in safe mode with the monitor directly connected to my GPU. Everything works well in safe mode. Used DDU to remove all drivers from my GPU and windows was able to boot in normal mode AS LONG as I do not install any drivers.

When I try to install the drivers, either by adrenalin or by the Windows tool (even tried to manually use the source of location of the driver), when it reaches around 70% there is a message regarding new updates and the need to restart my computer. The  monitor then flickers black and then stays black indefinitely. Tried to plug and unplug the HDMI cable to the GPU without any success. I am still able to listen that the windows is running underneath the black screen and if I press ctrl + alt + del the pc just makes a freezing noise and I am forced to "force" a reboot.

My Specs are:

- Intel Core i7 6700k

- 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz Memory

- 2TB SATA Hard Drive - 240GB SSD

- Radeon R9 390 8GB Graphics

Been trough so many forums and tried all that I could find on these forums without any success. Was wondering if the only solution would be buying a new GPU. 

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
39 Replies

0 Likes

The PC "Engineer" has probably set your PC Motherboard BIOS options to use the internal Intel® HD Graphics 530 on the CPU and ignore whatever is on the Primary PCIe BUS.  
You should check that Motherboard setting. 

You should also set the system up so that the monitor output comes from the GPU.
You should be able to get output from the GPU in safe mode if the motherboard BIOS is set up correctly.

Sometimes AMD Drivers do install and result in no display output. 
Happened to me yesterday installing on a system with multiple GPUs.
Booting into safe mode and running DDU Properly is the only way out of it for me most of the time. 

Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting a DisplayPort output will magically fire up an AMD GPU. 
It is bizzare. 
Gamers Nexus have hit a similar issue with AMD drivers in the past.
Not just me.  

0 Likes

Hi there Colesdav,

I tried the solution from your link and it did not work without any internet connection as it states. I followed the steps and even unplugged and plugged back the HDMI cable to the GPU and it did not work :(. After I force shutdown the PC it got stuck before the login in windows with the same black screen.

The only way for me to have access to the PC after that try, was to enter in safe mode and remove the drivers again with DDU and then restart the computer again.

Checked if the GPU is set to the motherboard inbuilt GPU and it is not. It is set to the PCIe 1 in which my GPU its inserted in to. Not sure if there is any other setting that I am missing.

Not sure what more to do since I am starting to lose hope.

0 Likes

RE: I tried the solution from your link and it did not work without any internet connection as it states.

What did not work? - Booting into safe mode and running DDU w/o internet connection? 
It should work o.k. 

I am guessing you ran all of the Windows Checks and they are all o.k.? 

Could you tell me what motherboard you have and exactly where the spec is for it by providing a link to it on the manufacturer web site please? 

Are there any VGA_ERR lights on the motherboard with the GPU installed?

If you go to windows device manager, what to you see reported about the GPU? 
Any error codes shown?

Which version of Adrenalin 2020 are you trying to install? 
Adrenalin 20.11.3? 

Try  Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 driver - there may be something wierd going on with Adrenalin 2020 install. 

Meantime I have an XFX R9 390X OC Black Edition I can fit and test to see if Adrenalin 2020 20.11.3 works o.k. with that.
It was working fine on older Adrenalin 2020 drivers, apart from total lack of fan control. But maybe something is broken in Adrenalin 2020 20.11.3.

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Booting into safe mode and running DDU w/o internet connection worked. What did not work was after that, installing the drivers.

The windows checks in the cmd promp? When I try to run them it says: "Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk may be locked by another process. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode and make sure the disk is unlocked."  :|

My motherboard is Gigabyte Technology z170xp-SLI-Cf.

There are no VGA_ERR lights on the motherboard with the GPU installed - just looks all normal.

My GPU does not show on device manager. It is as if there is no GPU there. The only one that shows is the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

The adrenalin version that I have installed is the 2020 one.

I will try to install the 2019 version. Would the factory drivers be helpful in any way?

Thanks for the replies.

0 Likes

Tried the 2019 version without any success as well :(

0 Likes

RE: When I try to run them it says: "Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk may be locked by another process. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode and make sure the disk is unlocked

OK. You need to do the following. 
Find the cmd icon in Windows. 
Hover mouse over it. 

Right click. 

Run as Administrator. 

The commands should run. 

Very important you run those checks. 

I will post another "How to run DDU" thread  and include that information. 
I cannot edit the original post because of this stupid new Forum post editing rules. 

RE: 

My motherboard is Gigabyte Technology z170xp-SLI-Cf.
There are no VGA_ERR lights on the motherboard with the GPU installed - just looks all normal.

OK Thanks for the information. 

I will look for the link to the motherboard and get back to you if I cannot find it. 

RE: My GPU does not show on device manager. It is as if there is no GPU there. The only one that shows is the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

The Microsoft Basic Display Adapter is what should be there before you install the AMD Driver. 
LKook at properties for that. 
Does it show any error / status information. 
Select it and right click. 

RE: The adrenalin version that I have installed is the 2020 one.
So, you mean Adrenalin 2020 20.11.3?

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Dear Colesdav,

Let me thank you first for all the help, you have been great!

As you said, I open cmd prompt as admin and runned the chkdsk. It stated that no problems have been found. No further action required

Runned chkdsk /scan - it went trough stage 1, 2 and 3 and file system found no problems. No further action required.

Runned sfc /scannow - Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Runned DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth - runned without any issue or problem.

Been to device manager - microsoft basic display adapter -> properties -> events -> view all events - I can see several error messages: Source Kernel-PnP Event ID: 411

Under General tab in the Microsoft Basic Display adapter it states that this device is working properly but, as mentioned above, when I go to its properties, in its log it displays this error that I guess it always happens when I try to update the drivers. Its a sistemic error that happens several times.

If I go to the same tab (events, under the MBDA) in the "information" it states: Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67B1&SUBSYS_93901682&REV_80\4&2db3ecda&0&0008 requires further installation.

The adrenalyn version that I installed its the 20.11.2 (the recommended one) 

Again, thanks in advance.

This motherboard: 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170XP-SLI-rev-10#ov

Looks fine to me. 
Just taking quick look at specs now. 
Also fitting an R9 390X just to make sure it still works o.k. for me on Adrenalin 2020 20.11.3. 

0 Likes

Source Kernel-PnP Event ID: 411
or 
Source Kernel-PnP Event ID: 41

Please confirm. 

0 Likes

Source Kernel-PNP Event ID: 411

That might indicate Motherboard BIOS/Driver update issue. 
Thanks.

0 Likes

R9 390/X PSU recommendation (minimum) = 600W. 

0 Likes

I have a PowerStation 750v2.

When I try to update the BIOS for newer versions it states: "This app can't run in your PC. To find a version to your pc, check with the software publisher."

0 Likes

Run as Admin?

0 Likes

When I run as admin it states: Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\Joaoa\Downloads\mb_bios_ga-z170xp-sli_f22f\Efiflash.exe       Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again.

0 Likes

Managed to connect the GPU to the PCIe 2. When installing the drivers, same issue happened :(.

Around 50-70% all goes black and does not get out from there.

This is soooooo anooying...

0 Likes

If this article is correct, you might be currently running a Windows 10 Preview Build: 

https://wccftech.com/windows-10-20h2-preview-build-19042-662-kb4586853/

I do not know who the PC Expert is you used. 
But, they should not be installing Preview builds on your machine, if they did. 

At this stage, if I were you, I would get a new SSD / HDD, download and install Windows 10 Pro version 2004 to USB stick.
Install it on your new SSD/HDD (you should NOT need a product key to install it) and start with new OS install. 
Make sure you create an admin account for yourself and also a local account. 

Then try to install the drivers.

I am not alone, true although it does not make me feel any better eheh.

Should I just try to reinstall windows from the scratch with a pro version and try to install the drivers afterwards?

On that post it says that the drivers fried the GPU. Hope mine was spared from that end.

Thank you very much

0 Likes

RE: Should I just try to reinstall windows from the scratch with a pro version and try to install the drivers afterwards?

Yes. 
Windows 10 Pro version 2004 with the latest patches is what I am running with Adrenalin 2020 20.11.3. drivers. 
My R9 390x is running fine FYI.
I am not sure Microsoft are currently allowing easy download of that Windows 10 Pro 2004 version though. 
I was unable to get that version downloaded recently. 
I do have a copy on USB stick though. 

You might be able to get a download from somewhere else.  

It would be best to install on a new SSD/SSHD/HDD and keep your current drive and data. 
At the very least you should run a full "Wiindows 7 system backup" to an external USB drive before you try Windows reinstall. 

0 Likes

I downloaded a bootable version windows 10. Will it allow me to choose from the Pro version or normal version?

Hum, if yours is working fine then it might mean that mine is busted as a GPU.

I do not have many important things on my disk, do you think it would not work if I do it without a new SSD/SSHD/HDD?

0 Likes

Should let you choose which version. 
I think it will be 20H2 though. 

RE: Hum, if yours is working fine then it might mean that mine is busted as a GPU.

Or it might mean Adrenalin 20.11.3 drivers work fine on Windows 10 Pro 2004 but will not work / install properly on  20.H2.
https://www.howtogeek.com/343979/what-is-the-latest-version-of-windows-10/

RE:  do not have many important things on my disk, do you think it would not work if I do it without a new SSD/SSHD/HDD?
You can wipe your existing disk and do a completely fresh install on the same Hard drive. 
Just make sure you save the data you need. 

Good luck. 

There's others that have had issues with the 20.11.3 on this https://www.reddit.com/r/radeon/comments/k2d5zh/rx_580_no_recommended_update_since_sept/ge3rnbg/

Another point. 
You should try to fit the GPU in secondary PCIe slot and see if drivers will install in it. 

Just in case Primary PCIe connector is broken / needs repaired. 
Primary PCIe slot can get damaged when fitting/removing card. 

0 Likes

Yes, that's the one.

My Winver is: 20H2 (OS Build 19042.662).

It says that it's licensed to an email that the "engineer" created to install the windows from the scratch. Would this create an issue in any way?

0 Likes

Unfortunately, I only have space for this GPU in PCIe 1. I don't think I can fit it in any other slot.

0 Likes

RE: Under General tab in the Microsoft Basic Display adapter it states that this device is working properly
So that is definitely the R9 390 GPU and Microsoft Basic Display Adapter has installed on that GPU fine. 

Are you certain that you have all of the latest and greatest Motherboard BIOS and drivers installed properly from here: 
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170XP-SLI-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

0 Likes

Will try to install all the updated drivers for the Motherboard.

Make sure you check PSU cables and PSU first.

0 Likes

Can you type winver into command line and report exactly which build version it reports please? 
If it just returns some numbers and does not ell you directrly 
Please let me know which indows version you are running exactly. 
2004? 
Or 
Are you on the Windows 10 October update ... in which case all bets are possibly off as far as I see it. 
Bill Gates & Microsoft have been in the habit of using Consumers as Guines Pigs / Lab rats to test anything they can "in the field".

I have to go for a while. 
I will log in later to find out how you get on. 
Good luck. 

RE: thanks for help. 
If you like any of my advice please Kudo anything you think useful/helpful.

0 Likes

See if you can get a friend with an AMD GPU to remove the card and fit it in your PC. 

See if it works. 

Alternatively it is likely your "PC Repair" contact/shop might let you try a currently working AMD GPU in your system to help debug what is going on. 

I know for sure that my R9 390X Installed o.k. withj Adrenalin 19.12.1 and Drivers up to ~ Adrenalin 2020 20.11.1. 

Have you tried resetting motherboard BIOS to default settings or resetting it?
Might be time to reflash it. 

0 Likes

Which R9 390 model.
Basic AMD Reference card?

0 Likes

1. Please check if your card has dual BIOS switch. If it has, find out what function is. It might be legacy versus UEFI BIOS. Since you say the Microsoft Display Adapter sees the card it and says it is working properly and I think you get display output o.k. then it should be fine and in the correct position. 

2. Make sure your PCIe slots on MB are clean. Use compressed air to blow any dust out. Make sure no bent / stuck pins in the slot. 

3. Check the PCIe pins on the GPU are clean.  You can use special cleaning fluid for electrical connectors on them. 

4. Check the GPU Power Connection leads to the card and the PSU. Any sign of burning / melting/ burning smell?

0 Likes

What PSU do you have exactly? 

How old is it? 

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Its on the UEFI function.

No burning smell or melting equipment.

How do I reset the BIOS to default? Would it be worth it?

0 Likes

This might fix your problem lot of ppl have black screen problem this days https://youtu.be/nHd0065duKE