cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

brucer
Forerunner

Re: Goodbye, Radeon, and your false promises.

I owned a Fury, Fury-x and an rx480.. the rx480 being the latest amd gpu I owned and it was bought for a backup rig..  When gpu prices skyrocketed the first time I sold off, turned that into cash and bought a 1070, then a 1080, then I sold the 1070 for good profit, then I bought an msi 1080ti trio like three months ago before the prices went completely through the roof.. I sold my 1080 a couple weeks ago for $100 more than I paid for it and I sold it too cheap at $700.. I'm glad I got my 1080ti for $799, heck I thought that was entirely too much, not so right now..

Maybe prices will come back down so I can play with some of the new amd stuff thats coming.. But AMD needs to work on their software/drivers so much I'll have to wait for the platform to mature more..  I'm not going to be a beta tester for AMD again..

pokester
MVP

Couldn't agree more. I was really happy that I bought my RX 580 when I did in November. There was literally a 2 week period prices came back to reality and I got mine for $301 and Best Buy, the week later they had it on sale 40 buck off and I got it price adjusted. Then next week they were $700.

Regardless what you pay though, when you spend even $100, you aren't buying beta hardware and the expectation is it meets industry standards and it's own marketing claims.

Sounds like made out well enough for your inconvenience out of all of this, hope the trend continues.

Best Wishes!

m3tho5
Adept I

Fully agree. Gaming applications are fine. Been long supporter for Radeons even before the merger.  But, none of the major data science libraries work on AMD Radeons.  You have re-write everything.  You can't even run OpenCL 1.2 on Ubuntu 18.04 to get at least 1 major library to work on it.  Google tensorflow works on GPU on CUDA.  I think AMD is much more innovative on the hardware, but it's all useless in GPUs.  "I have thousands of cores, but I'm using like 1 to paint the screen but it doesn't install on anything."  All they had to do was just use CUDA syntax rather than invent a completely different eco system.  It's like the equivalent to CPUs where you ask everyone to program in AMD's version of C++ and if you can get it to install only 10% of the functions work. 

Anyone at AMD listening?  CEO?  Spend money on this.

pokester
MVP

I absolutely get where you are coming from and I too believe the drivers should be rock solid. Now on to the next, the big issue isn't that cuda works better (although I get that in reality and currently it is) but that Nvidia is the one that chose the proprietary path. The industry then chose to support and build to proprietary specifications. AMD chose the path of using open source OpenCL. Applications, os's and drivers have a long way to go to making that a reliable reality. I doubt AMD is listening as it is only your peers in this forum and a couple of AMD mods that answer probably less than 10% of the time. I have opened support tickets and get a response about 20% of the time. I have written the past and current CEO many times and never got a response, even to a recent hand penned letter I really hoped would. My guess is that AMD just flat out does not have enough software engineers to tackle all the issues at hand. Things are being fixed every driver release, but with the abundance of issues it seams to most that nothing is getting taken care of. Then you tack on the constant fixing of the driver because Microsoft keeps breaking things from their end and you have an untenable situation. I wish anything I said was a fix or helped, unfortunately it is just the best logical excuse for the situation I can come up with. This is ally my opinion as a user just like you, I don't represent AMD.

0 Likes
ghosthunterzz
Adept I

I heard somewhere, its not AMD's official forum. Rather its consumer to consumer based community forum. So personally I never expected a reply from AMD really.

0 Likes
m3tho5
Adept I

No expectations from AMD.  I'm jumping to Nvidia for graphics (hopefully temporarily until AMD figures it out why NVIDIA GPUs have support).  Highly likely I'm going to upgrade to Threadripper at some point.  That dev team knows what they are doing. I need certain things to work for non-gaming applications.  Until that day when at least Google supports AMD gpus, I'll be happy to jump back.

0 Likes