cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Gigabyte Rx570 green screen flicker crash

My rx570 would cause my system to crash and my monitor would flicker green and the RGB on it would turn random colors, it would break my power switch so my only way to reset the system would be to flick the PSU switch. The rx570 was a used one I bought a while back from what looked like it was used for mining as the IO has oxidation and whatever on it but when I checked the BIOS of the card it was the default BIOS so that couldn't have been the problem. It would usually crash whenever I tried to play games and usually right after I installed drivers. When I was troubleshooting I went back to driver versions as far back as adrenalin 2018 and it would still crash. A couple of months ago I switched to an Nvidia GPU and things have been hunky-dory ever since but I would like to fix up the GPU and use it for something as the rx570 is still a very capable card today.  Any Idea of what may have caused this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks for elaborating a bit more this time. Since the AMD driver accepts the card it is indeed safe to assume the vbios is original. While the card is probably fried, it still could be one of the following: 1. Your power supply is insufficient (the rx570 peak power consumption is slightly higher then a 1060). Not very likely, but possible with a low quality brand. 2. The card has had a very bad thermal paste job and overheats instantly. Very unlikely though.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
emrvb
Adept I

How did you check the original vbios is installed? Bios name and/or number are not reliable. Although the Windows driver doesn't accept a tampered with vbios (unless you've "fixed it" to do so), Linux happily will. 

The green screen in my experience indicates a bad HDMI connection. I guess this could also occur with a crashing gpu, but start with replugging your cables.

0 Likes

I checked my vbios with gpu-z i think and it could not be the cables as i now have a new 1660 super in there using the exact same cable and it works fine. 

0 Likes

"What" did you "check" with gpu-z? Does it tell you its signature is valid or something? If not, and you're relying on bios version or name, you can't be sure it hasn't been tampered with. I'm not blaming your cable per se. You mentioned oxidation on the card. The contacts of the sockets maybe oxidized as well causing a (very) poor connection.
0 Likes

gpu-z gives you a ton of information, it even goes to the lengths to tell you what die the gpu has and if its fake or not. But i was just wondering if their is any way to fix this. Im very doubtful about it being the cable because it would only crash when having to do things more reliant on the gpu then boot into windows, and if it was the cable then it would have happened more often then when just trying to play games.

0 Likes

I'll try one last time: What does gpu-z tell you that makes you confident the vbios has not been tampered with. You should really try to give more information in general. As you have just now made clear you can actually boot with the card. It's still unclear whether that is with AMD drivers or just plain VESA. You should also elaborate on when a crash occurs. Starting a game, playing a game (which game, how long playing) watching a video.
0 Likes

Gpu-z told me that it had the default bios and told me that it was a real rx570. When i would crash sometime i would boot again fine and other times i would have to rollback windows and in that case i would roll it back and try again. It would crash right when i would play games like town of salem and bloons td 6 within the first few seconds of getting into the game but it would be normal in the menus. Also i ddu'd the drivers a couple of time then tried playing games and even the default windows driver wouldn't work with it so i don't think it's a driver problem. And based on that i now have a completely new gpu and my system works fine indicates that it was the rx570 causing the problem.

0 Likes

Thanks for elaborating a bit more this time. Since the AMD driver accepts the card it is indeed safe to assume the vbios is original. While the card is probably fried, it still could be one of the following: 1. Your power supply is insufficient (the rx570 peak power consumption is slightly higher then a 1060). Not very likely, but possible with a low quality brand. 2. The card has had a very bad thermal paste job and overheats instantly. Very unlikely though.

I bet you're right with the thermal paste job because i have a 500w 80+ evga psu and Amd's website recommends at least a 450 watt psu. I might take it apart later in the year when I'm not so busy. 

0 Likes