Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

RBE2020
Journeyman III

Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC high junction temperatures

Hi guys,

My Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC had some very high HDG and JUNC temperatures (80-85C and 110C consistently respectively under load while playing games). As it was a little over 3 years old and my warranty expired I decided to change the thermal paste and pads with 0,5mm and 1mm thickness (Gelid Extreme). 

The GPU always ran hot since buying it but never hit 110C JUNC temperatures.

After reapplying my HDG temperatures are a tiny bit lower (80C) but my JUNC temperatures are still too high (110C). I know the GPU is throttling as my FPS in Halo Infinite is only 50-60, Anno 1800 at 40-50, BF-V at 80 FPS (1440p / high settings which were fine a year ago with much higher FPS). 

Gigabyte does not want to share the official thermal pad thickness but online I found it was 0,5mm and 1mm. And after checking it looks like the new thermal pads do make a good enough contact (see picture). The thermal paste also spread nicely (used X-pattern and it completely filled the GPU die). 

So now I'm honestly a bit lost what's causing the high JUNC temperatures. The only thing I can think of is something odd I saw on the GPU die. There was this one spot that I could not clean no matter what I tried (see picture). Could this spot be the culprit?

2.jpg11.gif

0 Likes
1 Reply
lazye617
Journeyman III

So I have the 3 fan Gigabyte aorus from my understanding whats being recorded with the hotspot temp is the backplate.  Even though their are sensors on the die, multiple people stated when you see hotspot temps you have to take the backplate into consideriation as well.  They have those devices to see hotpoints and usually when people would test their GPU that was always the hotpoint.

One thing I did that really helped was completely replacing the thermal pads.  Amazon Basics has some awesome easy to use thermal pads that have my temps sitting in the 130-140 F range without moving much.  Repasting keeps the actual gpu temp around 160-185 F its just the hotspot that hits 230F and can be nervewrecking. But actually touch the various spots on your GPU for me even the radiator was not as hot as the actual backplate.  So for me personally that is where my major temps for hotspot are happening its possible most people are experiencing the same.

0 Likes