cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Gigabyte RX 5600 XT Does Not Support 14 Gbps BIOS

Per AMD's announcement this week, several models of the RX 5600 XT were listed as update-able to 14 Gbps Graphics Memory Speed:

https://www.amd.com/en/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt-14gps-models 

One of the models listed is Gigabyte's RX 5600 XT GAMING OC 6G, however after contacting Gigabyte support I was told the card I have is not compatible with the updated BIOS. There is no indication on Gigabyte's website that my card does not support the update. I was told that the BIOS update files listed on their website (and linked to in the AMD announcement) are not for my version of the card, even though there is only one model of this card released by Gigabyte. 

I bought the card with the intention to update to the latest supported firmware. Since there is no differentiation in model numbers, there is no way a consumer can discern during purchase whether the card they are buying is update-able. It is dishonest at best, and deceptive at worst to advertise support for an update while the manufacturer knowingly creates and sells a version of the product that does not support the update.

I have seen numerous threads with owners of this card trying to update their firmware with the unsupported versions listed, which lead to system crashes and freezing, and I am making this post partly to inform them and others of this issue. The AMD post, and Gigabyte's website, should be edited to make it clear that only certain versions of the Gigabyte model listed are supported. 

108 Replies
andrewsss
Adept II

Hello. There is a problem in BIOS version FA0 for this card. After flashing this BIOS the card is unstable! Black screen, the computer freezes, only restarting helps. This happens at different times, but always happens. So, it is impossible to play. 
With BIOS version F2 - it`s works well! But the frequencies are not the same as on 5600xt from other manufacturers. 

Hi. From what I've been told from Gigabyte support, the problem is with the version of the card you have, not the FA0 firmware. I was explicitly told the FA0 and F2 versions are not for the version of card I have, which originally came with F60 firmware. I also experienced the same issues with FA0 and also am running F2 even though it is officially unsupported. Even though my card "works" with F2 at reduced clock speeds, I don't consider this a legitimate fix from Gigabyte since they themselves said it was not!

0 Likes

Hi. I also contacted Gigabyte support. I got the same answer. This is answer: "If the FA0 version is not stable, it means that IT is not suitable for Your video card. You need to install the BIOS version F2 and wait for the BIOS update (version F3)." 

When I asked when the BIOS(version F3) will be available - answer: "there is no information".

What is it? Why? Why do AMD and Gigabyte do this?

xirombinha
Adept III

Same card, same issue here.. let's wait for them to realase the next bios. Andddddd, wait for amd to realease better and suitable drivers for the RX users.. 

0 Likes

I have a Pulse edition Rx 5600xt and running very bad. Low fps, fps drop.. Is that about drivers ? 

0 Likes

Are you flashed the bios? 

0 Likes

I have last version Pulse so it came with vbios update. 

0 Likes
andref24
Adept II

Hello,

I asked the same question to support and received the same answer that F2 and FA0 BIOSes are incompatible with the card which had originally F60 VBIOS version. This is only for cards with originally F1 VBIOS version. Perhaps at the beginning there were cards with F1 VBIOS version but currently they sold cards with F60 VBIOS versions. The compatible updates should be F6x versions and you should be able to find it with Aorus Engine BIOS update option. For now I don't see any new version. Maybe there will be in the future, we will see.

But for now I found and followed the interesting instruction. You can change some VBIOS parameters by modifying SoftPowerPlayTable (SPPT) which is stored in Windows registry instead of modifying and flashing VBIOS. This overrides some VBIOS parameter and you can change it via MorePowerTool windows application (probably you have to have adminitrator privilleges and run it as administrator). Please look into the link:

https://www.igorslab.de/en/radeon-rx-5600-xt-with-new-bios-and-stable-ram-without-flash-instructions-amd-limits-and-benchmark-morepowertool-tutorial/

I've tested this on my Gigabyte RX 5600 XT Gaming and had no black/green screens and freezes. What I have done:

• I flashed original F60 VBIOS version, this one: VGA Bios Collection: Gigabyte RX 5600 XT 6 GB | TechPowerUp 
  • then I installed MorePowerTool application https://www.igorslab.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/MorePowerTool_Setup.exe 
  • next I changed some parameter via MorePowerTool: I mean GPU clock speed to 1750 Mhz (via setting Power limit GPU: 160 and TDC Limit GFX: 150 options) and set memory to 14 Gbps (via setting Memory DPM 3 to 875). You can use file prepared by me: F60_1615_1750Mhz_14Gbps.mpt and load it into MorePowerTool via Load button - I've copied the most of this values from Sapphire RX 5600 XT Pulse due to it has no similar issues
  • after that I've clicked Write SPPT - it saves new changed parameters into Windows registry and override VBIOS values
  • restarted Windows to reload changed parameters into Windows
  • after reboot I had changed values in GPU-Z (memory clocks set to 1750 Mhz instead of 1500 Mhz)

After all I've tested it via 3D Mark tests and had no issue. Before these operations I had 6700 points score in 3D Mark Time Spy test after that over 7400 for graphic card so it seems to be working correctly.

Adrenalin drivers version I've installed: 20.4.2. Remember also to reset adrenalin/msi afterburn overclocked values to default in adrenalin software

I encourage you to try this on your cards because it looks quite safe, at worst case you will have to reinstall Windows and the new one will have clean Windows registry.

Please test it on more challenging games, I wasn't able to do this yet because I don't have time for games due to family stuff.

Today I performed some additional stress tests via FurMark and now can say that this card however can't handle 14 Gbps memory speed when stress testing. I had some green screens at this speed so I started to descrease memory speed and I stabilized it at 1650 Mhz (13,2 Gbps). Here is the mpt file to MorePowerTool that you can Write SPPT to you registry: F60_1670_1750Mhz_Memory_1650Mhz

At this value card is still quite fast, GPU Boost clock is set to 1750 Mhz and memory clock is 1650 Mhz and is better than standard 1500 Mhz of memory speed (12 Gbps) and GPU clocks are increased.

I personally doubt that there will be stable 14Gbps VBIOS update but we will see. For now I can live with such overclocked card.

Thank you for your research! After Gigabyte releases a new BIOS you will not need to edit this sppt manually?

0 Likes

It will be enough just to click Delete SPPT in MorePowerTool (it will remove Windows registry values), restart your PC and then original values from VBIOS will be taken into consideration.

0 Likes

How can I make sure that the BIOS on my card was F60 before flashing?

0 Likes

You can dump your card VBIOS via GPU-Z (arrow icon next to BIOS Version field).Then when you save it into a file you can open it in editor (for instance Notepad++ and other) and search for the GV-R56XTGAMING OC-6GD/F60/09F9 pattern. I hope this is what you were asking about.

0 Likes

Do the same. Works normally. The memory frequency grew up. Thanks! Yesterday I played Battlefield 5. Performance is higher than on VBIOS F2 by about 7-10 frames. The picture is smoother, there are no freezes at the start. I'm happy with. But Gigabyte wrote a request for Support when the new BIOS for Rev 1.0 cards is released.

0 Likes

Sorry I did not fully understand, in my case I suffer from crashes and black screens when playing, is this a possible solution? (PS: I have the same graphics card and I made the mistake of updating vBios)

0 Likes

Yeah! You need to check if your card came with F1 or F60 bios from factory. Try to downgrade.. Avoid these new bioses. Use this tutorial to raise the clocks to the same the vbios set but using MorePowerTool. It's quite simple.

I encourage you aswell to use DDU and AMD Cleanup tool to uninstall your chipset and gpu drivers and installed the lastest ones available in amd website. When installing the GPU drivers, try to not install the adrenalin.. just the drivers by using device manager. If you need to do simples tweaks i recommend you to use ASUS GPU Tweak II.. but get rid of adrenalin software for a while.

Good luck!

Try to turn off windows update for a while.. like 1 month.. and see how it goes.

0 Likes

So I followed your instructions and it worked perfect!  Better than the F2 BIOS for sure!  I stress tested with Total War 3 Kingdoms which would always generate a crash at some point.  Normally 3-4 hours into the game.  I've played for two huge sessions and not a single crash.

It was super frustrating that the F2 BIOS was so close to working well.  I wouldn't experience any crashes and then randomly, normally in long game sessions *boom* I would get the crash, red lights on the motherboard and a reboot.  Once in a blue moon I might even get a crash in Windows but that was pretty rare.

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for creating the .mpt file and posting your success!  It works amazingly well and really isn't far off the performance of the FA0 BIOS.  Happy Camper here!

Cheers,

cmack

0 Likes

I can confirm this. So far MorePowerTool fixed the my problems with this gpu. 

Also I noticed windows update clears settings set by MorePowerTool so you might wat to use it again.

0 Likes

Hello, I have the bios version F60, and I suffer from crashes (the screen turns off, and it doesn't work until I turn off the PC and turn it on again). I have the latest controllers (without adrenaline). How did you solve it? Do I need to change the parameters with MorePowerTool to stop it freezing? I really don't need any more power. Thanks.

0 Likes
mustanito
Adept II

• Gigabyte is not being clear and I personally feel that we have been scammed by both AMD and Gigabyte. It's been over a month without giving a clear answer to my emails with stupid answers and that have nothing to do with the subject. Someone should be responsible for this. Shameful. They are laughing at us selling second-class products as if they were good and then they look the other way. Those who have given us the paperweight with the bios F60 are not going to update it or do anything. Cut in materials and quality, do not support performance improvement. They sold us garbage and they knew they were doing it, and they didn't care. I will never buy an AMD video card or Gigabyte product again. In my opinion we should jointly demand a solution, otherwise they will do nothing.
mangoo
Journeyman III

Did any of your motherboards dram led light up(or any dram faulty indicator activate) and then flashes after black screen crash?

Mine did and i think it indicates that my cpu or motherboard is malfunctioning(i don't include ram because I've tested ram sticks from a different brand and they were QVL listed). But I strongly suspect my gpu is causing crashing after I did vbios update and everytime I check Windows reliability history most of crashing times Radeon Software Host Apllication crashes before black screen .

And yes I didn't look up which VBIOS version did i have and I regret it. I tried finding it by dumping files from GPU-Z  as andref24 wrote and all i found was GV-R56XTGAMING OC-6GD/FA0/0A25. 

So is there some way of finding your old VBIOS version or flash gpu to its original version or do i just blindly choose one of two to flash and hope for better gpu performance?

0 Likes

Gigabyte tells you to contact the store that sold you the product to process the RMA. What is not covered by warranty. Bios updates are at the user's expense. But here you have the factory version and the two new ones. Giggabyte is kidding us with these GPUs.

VGA Bios Collection: Gigabyte RX 5600 XT 6 GB | TechPowerUp 

0 Likes
xirombinha
Adept III

Try to ask for the gigabyte support which bios version your gpu came with from factory. They need to know.. based on the model name and serial number they've got this info. This bios version (FA0) is known for its unstability.. mostly if your gpu isn't suitable for it. We've read that not all GV-R56XTGAMING OC-6GD are suitable for this bios version, just ones the came with F1 bios originally.

0 Likes
mustanito
Adept II

• After two months of trying to contact Gigabyte about this gpu and his stupid and pointless responses I decided to write and amd. After so long we already know that those of us who buy rev 1.0 are left with a second-rate product, it is not upgradeable, they do not support the botched materials, increased performance. But at no time was it communicated. Clearly we have paid for being test bunnies and lost money, personally I think this is a scam that they are doing to us. Amd has not behaved better, useless and meaningless responses to what happens to all those customers who buy the first units with the promise of a performance that will not come to us and on top of second or third category materials. Let everyone really know what they have done and how they have played with their consumers and how they have really created second and first class customers, perhaps we have not paid the same or more for a product and have given us a paperweight with much worse performance? Now we have to screw up and have a gpu much worse than the rest and without the specifications they promised us. I invite you to write a complaint as I have done and ask that it be solved and justice be done. We all have a hard time making money and I don't think anybody likes them to play, experiment and cheat as they have done in these cases. Greetings to all. Embarrassing AMD and embarrassing Gigabyte.
0 Likes
chalitopower
Adept I

Today Gigabyte Support told me this:
"The bios of the page which you comment on is no longer available, and another update will be available shortly which solves the problems caused"
0 Likes
filipefps
Adept I

Gigabyte removed the FA0 BIOS from its website. If you search their website, you will find two RX 5600 XT gaming OC, but only one of them has a BIOS to update.

Radeon™ RX 5600 XT GAMING OC 6G | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global 

Radeon™ RX 5600 XT GAMING OC 6G (rev. 2.0) | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global 

0 Likes

• And above in the page of characteristics and support is that of Rev 2.0 in both cases. They have removed the FA0 because rev 2 already comes standard with the increase in memories, and the others are not upgradeable. So in a legal way they will tell you that they have specified their two models, shameful about Gigabyte. They are thieves who have stolen our money, lied to us and laugh at us. And AMD is not behaving better, does not want to know anything about the problem.They have no intention of solving anything.
0 Likes

So apparently there's two version for the same model, the "default" and the 2.0

How do I know wich one I have bought?!

And the "default" will ever get the frequency bios update?

0 Likes

Your board have a sticker with the serial number and version, and no, its not compatible with the 14Gbps firmware. Other brands already done the same thing with New Revision (or new product models) compatible with the fast memory. 

0 Likes
chalitopower
Adept I

Gigabyte released 3 new bios , FA1, F3 and F61 but only for REV 2.  

F61 for REV 1.0. REV 1.0 came with BIOS F60. So, F61 belongs to F60 BIOS family.

If your VBIOS version is:
F1, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F2-F9.
F10, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F11-F19.
F20, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F21-F29.

0 Likes

Yeap, i notice that, is not under Version 1 bios page, theres only F2. But it makes sense. Have you tried it filipefps?

0 Likes

yes, but the clocks have not been changed. I will try again...

0 Likes

WORKED! I will test now!

0 Likes

Where did you see F61? It`s only F2 on official page of RX 5600 XT GAMING OC 6G

0 Likes

Crazy Gigabyte)))) They put it in RX 5600 XT GAMING OC 6G REV 2.0.  And wrote that F61 for cards with F61)))) But it`s for F60 and for REV 1.0

I flashed F61 VBIOS. Futermark test passed!

I think it was the rush to launch this bios soon so that consumers stop complaining.

0 Likes