cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

wizardsmagic008
Adept I

Gigabyte Radeon R9 290x image corruption/artifacts

When exiting a game the problem mostly occurs. I've read numerous threads but have not found a solution. I modified bios to keep memory clock @ 1250mhz and upped voltages to all 3 memory levels. After doing that I thought I was in the clear. The scrambled images and pixels no longer appear but my screen will flicker and have horizontal lines until the screen goes blank and the computer locks up. I have tried all the latest drivers to date and a clean install of Windows 10. Only thing I have not tried is testing the GPU in another PC.

Specs:

Asus M5A97

8GB Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1600

R9 290x 4GB OC

FX-8120 OC 4.2GHZ

Windows 10 x64

LCS-256M6S SSD

0 Likes
5 Replies
wizardsmagic008
Adept I

Re: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290x image corruption/artifacts

Seems to be working fine now. All I did was put my tower standing up before it was on it's side and I changed power strip. Flashed bios to several different manufacturers with no luck before that. 8 hours running different 3D applications and closing back to desktop, and keeping it on desktop with no issues now, and before they'd occur within minutes of going back to desktop.

0 Likes
Hardwood
Paragon

I wonder if it was overheating because it couldn't exhaust properly? Or maybe it was the powerstrip and your newer one conditions the line better?

Either way, I'd pull the card and clean out the dust bunnies and make sure your case has decent airflow.

0 Likes
wizardsmagic008
Adept I

I don't even know. I thought temperatures were in tolerable range. One of the first things I did was clean it out wasn't really dusty since it was only a few months old. It's be running 24+ hours now and yet to see any problems. My case is always open.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

There are problems with windows 10 version 1709 so lots are awaiting a fix for problems when a game quits

0 Likes
wizardsmagic008
Adept I

2 months later I figured out the issue. Seems to be a seating issue. If I apply slight pressure downwards on the video card with my tower standing normal upright position the artifacts/image corruption go away while the PC is powered on and the issue is present. Never really seen this problem before. Might be why it worked a bit when I turned my tower up from being on its side. Also was a fluke when I uninstalled Crimson software and catalyst control center with different drivers seemed like the problem was gone. It always came back eventually. Really never thought of putting any pressure on the video card while the PC was powered on anyways never seemed like a good idea. Thank you for the answers, and if possible I'd like to include a video link to address my problem resolved if any case someone else has a similar issue they can at least try this method. Only problem is now I can't bolt down the video card because it changes the alignment of the hole so I can't screw it down to the case. But you can easily see in the video that this was entirely the reason for these issues I had.

Radeon R9 290x issue Resolved! - YouTube