Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sherif5
Journeyman III

Ghost monitor with Rx 480

Hello,

I've a problem in the last few weeks is that windows detects a second monitor named Generic non-pnp monitor. It had it from long time but I selected my real display as the main one and I had no issue with it, but in the last 2 weeks it sometimes keeps detecting that I installing and removing it continuously and make that sound you hear when you plug and unplug a usb device and it also cause a little freeze to my pc and stuttering.I've tried to install a fresh windows and to uninstall my GPU driver completely and installing the newest one and then go back to 19.9.2 driver, I also tied another display, cable and HDMI port of the GPU but nothing changed and hope you can help me.

my PC specifications:

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF stock

MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK B450M-Steal legend

GPU 1: ASUS ROG Strix RX 480 8gb stock

RAM: XPG Gammix D10 8gb 3200 DDR4

PSU: seasonic s12ii 520w 80+ bronze

0 Likes
16 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601 

Try this and installing the latest version AMD driver. Every time when you start your computer, your system may be trying to change the display driver.

0 Likes

I tried your method and I tried display driver uninstaller before and the same problem always there.
before installing the driver everything is fine, just after installing it that ghost monitor pops up.

I'm using the latest driver right now

0 Likes

+ Download DDU and run it.
+ Disable Windows driver update and enable safe mode (removing vulkan and monitors driver) in the settings of the DDU, and re-run the program again.

+ Uninstall old drivers using safe mode by choosing DDU option.

+ Delete C:\AMD and C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folders.

+ And install the latest display driver.

If you are seeing the nonexistent monitor again despite all these attempts, you can try reinstalling Windows with an USB stick.

0 Likes

I did exactly as you said and still the same problem
I had this problem with my previous windows then I downloaded a new windows 10 iso from windows creation tool and installed it so this is a fresh one. any other ideas?
and thank you for your help

0 Likes

Do not install chipset driver. Just try a clean Win10 installation and display driver installation. I don't know why the problem is happening. Maybe the chipset driver...

0 Likes

I didn't install a chipset driver. I don't have one in the first place

0 Likes

From Dell Support on how to eliminate a Phantom Monitor:

0 Likes

I already tried all of that but it keeps installing itself again and again.

0 Likes
nitrofuel
Journeyman III

Hi, I'm having the same issue, if yours is solved please respond.

0 Likes

No I couldn't find any solution or figured out the cause of the issue yet.
Did you tried Display port of DVI instead of HDMI port? and what is your desktop specifications?

0 Likes

I have a ASROCK Z75 PRO 3, i7 3770k, Rx 570, 8GB Ram. No I haven't tried a

DVI cable but I did get a new Hdmi one, didn't resolve the issue.

0 Likes

me too tried 3 HDMI cables with different monitor but the issue stand still.
If you reached any solution, let me know please.

0 Likes

I think I found a fix. So it was happening this morning and I pressed an

"Input/Exit" button on my monitor, the display went black for a second and

came back and it said HDMI at the top. Hasn't happened since, hope it stays

that way.

0 Likes

Good for you, I already tried methods similar to this and didn't work for me.

0 Likes
dohuyhoang
Journeyman III

I had exactly VGA RX 480 and this problem. 

I have try these methods and it give me like 2 weeks free from problem:

- Uninstall all the AMD driver with DDU in safe mode, then let window update decide what AMD driver vesion will it choose. In my case: Window choose 27.20.1034.6 version for RX 480 graphics, instead of the newest website AMD has 30... 

- Turn off fast startup: you can sreach google for it

- Change advanced power setting, in power option panel: Hard disk - Turn off hard disk after - setting: Type 0 minutes.

After 2 weeks, today it start to freeze display again, still hear sound. Anymore solutions on how to fix this?

0 Likes
dohuyhoang
Journeyman III

I have found a solution, i did capture a video, you can see it here, hope this help: https://youtu.be/Ono4SUSK8SE

0 Likes