cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

buny2306
Journeyman III

Garphics card stuck at 600mhz

Hi my gpu is amd radeon r9 255 and the base clock for it is 800mhz but lately its only going up to 600mhz why is that? If i were to restart my pc or sign out and then sign back it the gpu is fine but after a while it goes back like this. I have tried ddu and reinstall of gpu driver. I dont know how to fix this or do anything so i hope someone can help me with this

0 Likes
6 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Card is from 2013. GPU clock will only go up under 3D apps not things like web browsing or movies. Needs to be a game. This card is EOL or End Of Life, meaning no direct support. Check which driver you have installed. You can't use the R 290 driver, this is an OEM card, so the driver would be from Dell, HP, etc. Closest link I found is:

AMD/ATI Radeon R9 255 graphics drivers for Microsoft Windows 10 64bit (amd-drivers.com)

That's for Windows 10 x64. Maybe in the Catalyst you can manually set the card's clock. If not try MSI Afterburner if it works on that card. Alternatively you could try to find the HD7750, which is still old but drivers are easier to find.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

How do i download it

0 Likes

That's an old link, sorry. Try this one: AMD Radeon R9 255 Drivers Download | Device Drivers (oemdrivers.com)

The second choice is for Windows 10 x64 as an exe file. The others are for different OS's and the lower ones are zip files for manual installations. I tested the link and the download for the second choice in the list for windows 10 x64 and they both are working links.

0 Likes

it makes it as the radeon r7 or hd 7000. Thats what the driver does and that doesn't work to fix the issue

0 Likes

Then you can either figure out who the OEM is and see if the driver is still available. If the driver "did" that , then that's because that's what the driver read from the GPU's BIOS.

That card was used in various Dell and HP's, others. Best bet is to just get a newer card, like even a used R7 240 or something similar is a low cost solution and will serve you better.

Lastly, you're stuck with it and there's no fix since the card is OEM and too old.

Does it go over 600Mhz under a 3D load, like a game? Movies and browsing won't do it. 

0 Likes

ok

0 Likes