cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hadesflames
Adept II

Gaming Causes Entire PC to Lockup

This doesn't happen 100% of the time or with any noticeable pattern, but when I play some game at some point my PC completely hangs and stops taking input. This has been happening for some time now, but more recently the screens go black first. It's very strange, also the games I'm playing aren't particularly demanding. Examples:

• Age of Mytholoy: Extended Edition (The updated for modern windows version on Steam)
  • Europa Universalis 4
  • Tabletop Simulator

Running Windows 10 Pro, 22H2

My PC Specs:

• Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
  • Corsair CMW32GX4M2C3200C16
  • AMD Radeon 5700XT (PowerColor Red Devil)
  • 2x Asus XG32VC + MSI Optix MAG321CQR (3 monitors)
  • 2TB AMD Raid 0:
    • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus
    • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus

All of my drivers are up to date, even my BIOS. In fact, I also completely wiped my PC and reinstalled windows from scratch yesterday and the installed latest drivers.

This just happened again moments ago and here are the critical events I see in Reliability Monitor:

Hardware Error (first):

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎1/‎30/‎2023 1:33 AM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 117
Parameter 1: ffffa80d78993010
Parameter 2: fffff80042696760
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 874
OS version: 10_0_19045
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19045.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Hardware Error (second):

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎1/‎30/‎2023 1:33 AM

Status
Not reported

Description

Problem signature
Code: 164
Parameter 1: 2e
Parameter 2: 20000
Parameter 3: 400
Parameter 4: 0

Hardware Error (third):

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎1/‎30/‎2023 1:34 AM

Status
Not reported

Description

Problem signature
Code: 1b0
Parameter 1: 1
Parameter 2: ffffffffc0000001
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0

I suspect that the third one has something to do with me powering off my PC by holding the power button for 5 seconds. In between third and second there are various apps crashing which makes sense.

Things I've tried:

1. SFC scannow
    1. Found a corruption and fixed but no dice
  2. DISM online repair
    1. nothing found
  3. chkdsk
    1. nothing found
  4. Updated drivers + chipset
  5. Updated BIOS
  6. Stress tested GPU CPU & RAM for at least 2 hours each
    1. No issue
  7. Complete wipe of windows and clean install (as mentioned before)

Today the crash happened after booting up AOM and playing just one game for about 20 minutes or less. Sometimes I can play multiple rounds of AOM without issue. Sometimes it crashes after 1-3 games etc. There's no particular pattern to it.

It's also happened from having Tabletop Simulator running in the background (without even having it in the foreground or playing actively)

During the stress tests, none of my temps ever reached temps I'd consider to be too high. I think GPU maxed out in the upper 70s or so. CPU hit high 90s but that was only during torture testing. Throughout most of the test it was in the 80s or so although I don't remember. And even high 90s shouldn't cause throttling or stability issues as far as I know.

I don't have any overclocks on any of my hardware at all except just the DOCP profile on the RAM.

This problem only started recently (month or so ago) and I haven't really changed anything about my PC since I initially built it.

0 Likes
11 Replies
xlox
Forerunner

try disabling docp ? and see if that change anything .. if it is the case then try to apply ram timings by hand , or maybe a little ram overvoltage can help (but be careful with that,  first docp diable and check if it helps)

0 Likes

Just happened without DOCP.

0 Likes
hadesflames
Adept II

bump

0 Likes
orbitech
Adept II

Try to reseat you graphics card, this has happened to me in the past. Where the connection is just not 100%. It solved it for me. After you do that, reinstall your graphics drivers. I hope this helps.

0 Likes
HighlYRadiateD
Journeyman III

The most probable cause might be with your ATI graphics card compatibility,

Try disabling the hardware acceleration and check.

And check if the recent graphics driver update and Asus Rog management Engine driver update are both compatible 

Check if issue is occurring with you're going to small to high graphics loads. 

As you are using 3 monitors, some times when gpu usage is shifted to onboard GPU and as already Most of the vram is already been used for multiple monitors this may actually send the OS to a loop and crash eventually.

Check if issue is occurring when you are using single monitor, 

If it is so then you have roll back your recent updates.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

What power supply make/model?

Are  you running separate power cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU?

Do you have the same issue when installing Windows on just one drive with no RAID setup?

ThreeDee PC specs

It's an 850W platinum Corsair psu (corsair HX850)

It happens with windows installed on just 1 drive and the other unused.

I also notice I keep getting occasionally this issue where AMD reports that the driver was replaced however it can't possibly be true:

hadesflames_0-1675816779172.png

This doesn't happen as often as the crash but it just happened right now.

0 Likes

Did you try to reseat the graphics card, and if so was there any results?

{{>Too reseat is to remove and check over the socket and card, and then replace the card ensuring a solid connection to the graphics card socket<}}.

0 Likes
markhenry9
Journeyman III

As the factors that cause your games to freeze on the computer are various, the fixes may also different. It doesn't matter if you are not quite sure which factor is freezing your computer.

According to many game players, it's despairing when their computers or PCs freeze when playing games at home. So how to resolve this issue and make your computer run fast and smoothly when playing games?

0 Likes
Blintz
Journeyman III

I just started having this happen as well. I'm on a 3900x with a 5700xt also. Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 motherboard. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps you listed as well and just came across this post while trying to search up the LiveKernelEvent error. Did you ever find a solution to this?

0 Likes

Nope. I ended up just literally replacing all of my parts. All of them. Other than my case and fans I'm on a completely brand new build now. Even monitors are new since I was having another issue with the monitor before.

Sorry.

0 Likes