cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Games Lagging On Certain Days Than Fine The Next

Ever since a couple months ago, on certain days my laptop's games would lag like crazy, I even played games from 2008 and they still lagged and I've run games with great graphics such as Terminator: Resistance and Jurassic World: Evolution all at the max graphics setting, I updated the drivers and nothing, and even edited my graphics setting and even that didn't work. What's wrong and how can I fix it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks, for the help everyone. But, none of these solutions work, and I think it may have been a virus, I ran CCleaner with the help of my friend and it hasn't done it since. If it does happen again I'll reply here again, or make a new post.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
20 Replies

Sounds like your internet. Also, certain times of the day are busier and traffic slows down. Check your internet speed when it is fast and again when it slows down.

https://www.speedcheck.org/

0 Likes

The download speed is 127.69 Mbps and upload speed is 24.61 Mbps. Also, in my house I live closest to the router, if that helps in any way, shape, or form.

0 Likes

How many users/x-box/firesticks/computers are using the internet? Does this happen when a lot of people are using the bandwith? What are the internet speeds when it slows down?

0 Likes

It's laggy no matter what, I highly doubt it's the internet, since it happens even if no one is using it.

0 Likes

It's laggy no matter what, I highly doubt it's the internet, 

But you said some days are fine?

Since I don't know what your computer settings and / or anything else except what you tell us...we have to go by process of elimination...

Check your control panel for 'AMD User experience program'. Click on it...if it says join? Your good. If it says 'leave' do it. This feature has caused similar issues.

Screenshot_1.png

0 Likes

Do I need to restart my laptop after that? I tested it and it didn't work

0 Likes

yes

0 Likes

I restarted my laptop and it didn't work, any other ideas?

0 Likes

Look in Device Manager/display...any yellow error marks?

You can scan for system file corruption...open a command prompt as administrator.... type   sfc /scannow  then enter. Let it run...it will tell you if there were bad files, if it fixed them.

0 Likes

It said it did not find any integrity violations.

0 Likes

Look in Device Manager/display...any yellow error marks?
0 Likes

Display Adapters.pngUnless those yellow markings on the bottom count, no.

0 Likes

No those are ok.
0 Likes

I used Task Manager and looked at the CPU of Roblox since it lagged alot and used up 35-40% of my CPU, and 100% of my GPU, does this help?

0 Likes

Does it say which graphics chip it's using? If not, Hardware monitor will do that... > https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Have you tried turning your game settings down?

0 Likes

Turning my game graphics down doesn't help a whole lot, and some games I have don't give me the option to change the graphics setting. Also, I only have one graphics chip, and that's the one I believe Roblox was using.

0 Likes

Also, I only have one graphics chip, and that's the one I believe Roblox was using.

No you have two graphics chips. Have you assigned the high performance  (AMD) chip to the particular game? You do that from your computer "DISPLAY" setting....not the AMD control panel.

7.png

0 Likes

I set all of the games that were lagging or could lag to "High Performance", but out of curiosity I changed it to "Power Saving" and played Roblox, and it ran at 60 FPS (note: Today my laptop is running at normal performance and I am currently using CCleaner to see if that fixes it), so it might not be the problem.

0 Likes

I dont know why your games sometimes run fine and other times not.
Maybe try to verify the game cache / reinstall the game.
Maybe you are using a mod or scripts ingame that run poorly and effect performance.

My advice try to scan your pc for virus and malware  ( use windows 10 antivirus to scan for virus, and malwarebytes free malware scanner.

reinstall your graphics driver/reset it

right click on the windows start icon and select windows power shell ( admin )
type   sfc /scannow  and press enter, this will fix errors in windows.

You can also reinstall drivers for your computer, it could be windows have replaced one of them.
You can also update your bios, however typical laptops dont get new bios.

You can also in windows powerplan try to change some settings.

Try to scan your harddrive for errors, and defrag it.. ( example ask your pc to defrag the harddisk when you go to bed, it can take many houres to do so.

Also laptops dont like heat.. so maybe buy a sprey can with air and blow out dust ( after you do this wait 30 minutes before you turn on the pc ( and remove the cable and battery while you do it )
( IF you use a real compressor dont use full power... AND before you use it then sprey somewhere els or against your hand to feel if there is moisture in the air...  and then blow out your pc...   after cleaning it for dust with the high presure blower then dont turn on your pc for 30 minutes.
I have used both methods for like 30 years never had any problem at all ).  But i recommend the sprey can with air.

ps. NEVER take your laptop with you in bed.. if the air vents are are blocked for a few minutes componments will likely get damaged... laptops DONT LIKE HEAT.
Also be aware that laptops sometimes wear out and performance get bad after 3-5 years.

0 Likes

Thanks, for the help everyone. But, none of these solutions work, and I think it may have been a virus, I ran CCleaner with the help of my friend and it hasn't done it since. If it does happen again I'll reply here again, or make a new post.

0 Likes