Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

owsla
Adept I

Games freezing on fullscreen

Hey guys.

Everytime I set a game to fullscreen it freezes after 5 seconds or so. Nor windowed nor borderless modes are affected by this issue, only fullscreen.

The video freezes but I can click and all, I can even hear the mouse hovering over buttons. I thought it could be caused by some settings on Radeon software like virtual resolution so I disabled anything that could be possibly causing it, though the bug is still there.

How do I solve it?

1 Solution
owsla
Adept I

Well, after a lot of attempts I managed to solve it by uninstalling the driver and Radeon software and then reinstalling the driver with Windows Update. All attempts with Radeon software installed failed, so it must be some bug with its current version.

> Edit:

Newer versions of AMD software seems to have fixed this issue.

View solution in original post

24 Replies
owsla
Adept I

Well, after a lot of attempts I managed to solve it by uninstalling the driver and Radeon software and then reinstalling the driver with Windows Update. All attempts with Radeon software installed failed, so it must be some bug with its current version.

> Edit:

Newer versions of AMD software seems to have fixed this issue.

clsmithj
Adept II

Please provide more information.

When did you start experiencing this issue, and what is your video driver version are you currently using? 

I too experienced full-screen freeze while playing back video on my computer that uses a Radeon RX 5700XT 50th Anniversary Edition GPU.  This freeze issue started occurring after I updated the video drivers to the latest 19.12.2 version, aka "Adrenalin 2020".

I resolved this issue by uninstalling this radeon driver and downloading the full previous Radeon version 19.12.1.

0 Likes

im havin the same problem when im in game and try to do a replay by clicking ALT R and the app just freeze and i can only cling ESC and exiit the game,i just install the 6900XT today and start havin that problem

0 Likes
tenjr
Journeyman III

I've searched for about an hour, with limiting time frame and found this post,

I've been, for the past 4 HOURS, trying to trouble shoot games that I assumed had a bad update, but after a few games freezing up during anything, I found it very suspicious and the only newer anything on my PC was the "Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2". Like poster said, this issue only happens during FULL screen mode, you can hear the menu and other things when mouse hovers but the screen is actually frozen-like until i minimize and re-enter i see i'm in some random menu right before the screen freezes.

also found more post about the same issue, but believe it might be a version problem with 19.12.2, going to test in 19.12.1 and see if that works (read it from a post here: https://community.amd.com/thread/246229  )

richiez1970
Journeyman III

I too had this same issue after I installed the 2020 19.12.2 so I ddu and reinstalled 19.11.1, problem went away... I wont be updating till they fix this

burnburny
Journeyman III

I've had the same freezing issue with fullscreen. Alt+Tabbing until you can switch to a windowed fullscreen or just a windowed version seemed to fix the issue until the game was closed. But I've also noticed that running the current driver version, but with presets (gaming, eSports) turned off works fine as well.

I've also noticed that I get massive stuttering (15-20fps) if I turn the in-game vsync off. The FPS counter will read 120+, but it'll just be a slideshow. I've had to keep Destiny 2 running in Vsync 60fps to keep a smooth experience.

TLDR: Run Standard mode in the driver software, not Gaming or eSports. If not, keep alt+tabbing until you can run a windowed version of the game. Or, revert to an older driver version.

solarstylus
Journeyman III

I am having the same issue.  When I enter the game I can play just fine until I alt-tab.  That breaks the driver I think. Here's a step by step of how mine happens:

1) Playing game in fullscreen working just fine.

2) Alt-tab, then alt-tab back in to the game

3) Game works fine for about 3 seconds, then HALTS on a single frame. The game continues operating like normal behind that frame (i can hear sounds, reactions to button presses and key clicks), but it is masked by that single frame that is being displayed.

4) I just restart my PC and jump back in. 

mrgimo
Adept I

I had the same problem. An effective solution was to fully uninstall the graphics card driver and then install the new version. Remember to make a copy of your saved Wattmann settings before full uninstallation. I lost mine

0 Likes
laygerlugia
Adept I

Use DDU in safe mode for unistall version 19.12.2 and install version 19.12.1, in google search amd version 19.12.1 download and install in personality mode to select version 19.12.1, do not use the quick mode why install version 19.12.2.

0 Likes

What fixed this for me was DDU or AMD Cleanup to uninstall everything, and then reinstall.  Instead of selecting Gaming Mode for a Profile, select Standard.  This fixed if for me.  

0 Likes

6 hours later, none if the 'traditional' methods have worked. Well, besides RMA.... Really trying not to hate you AMD.

hahaha why did i bother commenting, your marketing team aint approving any real forum posts are they?

0 Likes
fiesbert
Journeyman III

This problem is also discussed here: https://community.amd.com/thread/246348 

It happesn to me on a clean windows install with 19.12.2.

Fortunately there seem to be some fix:

Play in windowed mode

Disable all Radeon settings (anti-lag, image-sharpnening, enhanced sync etc..)

It probably is an issue with the driver, seeing as many owners of an 5700 share this problem.

0 Likes
zealotki11er
Miniboss

I had the same issue. I had Global Profile under Settings>Graphics set to Gaming. I switched to Standard and no longer see the issue. One of the Radeon Features is probably causing the issue that is enabled under Gaming Mode. 

slackmorph
Journeyman III

i have a same problem , i think i just experienced it

0 Likes
razeth
Adept I

Has the same problem where it all freezes after 3 to 4 seconds, no matter if it is full screen or border. It all stops in a frame while everything else runs in the background, and has to go back and forth with alt+tab in the game and it freezes again after a few sec.

It has helped to set everything to default in the radeon (For some games). Also tried the DDU version, did not work for me ether.

The only game that is unaffected is Rocket League, it obviously doesn't care hehe, but miss playing my other games, seems i just have to wait for a solution.

just bought brand new setup on Black Friday. Strix RX 5700 XT - Strix X570-F - 3700X

And it runs Youtube, 3Dmark and Rocket League. Pretty overkill for those 3 things so fare

0 Likes
ultraball
Journeyman III

Hi folks,

I was experiencing the same issues with games on fullscreen mode. Yesterday (dec 18, 2019)  AMD rolled out a new version of the adrenalin software (19.12.3). I went to check out the changelog and couldn't find anything related to this issue. I decided to update even tough and for my surprise apparently it fixed the problem. At least for now, i would recommend trying this version and only downgrade to 19.12.1 if the problem persists.

I hope this helps

0 Likes
downloadkct
Journeyman III

I've been facing the same issue, i recently moved from NVidia to AMD by buying an RX 580, and man.. i regret so much -.- been facing some amateur issues since day 1.

WHY THERE ISNT A GAME PROFILE SYSTEM LIKE GEFORCE EXPERIENCE ????

0 Likes

I will tell you that I never had these issues with my RX-480.  It’s a beautiful card.  It still is and the only reason I Upgraded to the Radeon VII is because of AMDs Marketing and Nvidias Fallacies.  My Radeon VII is still an amazing 1440p card at max and still does 4K max depending on the newer games.  Whereas my 480 struggled at 1440p.  The 580 is identical to the 480 other than its overclocked by about 7-10%.  If you play in 1080p then it’s an amazing card.  Don’t give up on it yet.  No need to upgrade so soon if you just got one.  Nvidia preaches all those features that are failures, whereas AMD knows what they have and tells you.  AMD can bite off more than they can chew though, Like they did with my RVII.  The card is a beautiful creation, the drivers however are the problem.  Horrendous.  

0 Likes
d3d9x
Adept I

Had the exact same issue with RX 5700 XT + driver 19.12.3 

The game in windowed runned smoothly, low CPU / GPU usage but was horrible to play in full screen : freeze, slows, beeps after alt tabs, made me regret my GTX 1050 Ti ...

With previous 'stable' driver version, fullscreen mode completly froze my screen after 3-4 seconds (BF5)

Solution: change profil from game to standard ... now game runs ultra smooth in fullscreen

0 Likes
strychnine
Journeyman III

Had the same problem. EASY FIX. If you can- Turn the volume one up or down (Win10, the soundbar will appear and game will return to normal) If you don't have a function to turn the audio up or down, press Win+Prntscreen, the screen will flash and the game will return to normal.

0 Likes
metalzeroone
Journeyman III

have the same issue with BF3,4 and it still exists on 19.12.3 with RX 580. standard mode all features disabled.
hope it gets fixed soon.

0 Likes
stankobre
Journeyman III

Had same issue with that driver, then i tried changing to standard mode and it fixes itself, also i turned on Image-Sharpening so it changed to custom mode, and tried it again works with it no problem. Disable Radeon settings (anti-lag, enhanced sync), but you can keep Image-sharpening on coz it's not the one causing the problem at least on mine RX 480.

0 Likes
intuit
Journeyman III

Unfortunately ive been running into this problem as well and havent found a solution but 1. Turn off all Freesynch and Enhanced Synch. Ever since then i havent run into the problem. I have even noticed a bit better picture quality. I was getting frame freezing until i alt tabbed and was super frustrating. Was happening on all games. I guess AMD hasnt figured out how to properly use Freesynch. Seems sus when there is Freesynch and Freesynch 2 and Freesynch 2 Pro etc. its like... Can we just get what we want? 

0 Likes