Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

SabrePT
Adept II

G713QY-K4005T Random Reboots

Hello

I have a G713QY-K4005T that's experiencing random reboots while gaming and only while gaming. Every other activity like browsing, using any other app or program, using any multimedia be it video or music works flawlessly and without issues.

While gaming after a few minutes the screen goes black and the system reboots. It happens in every game I tried, Star Trek Online, Neverwinter Online, Lost Ark, World of Warships, or ROG Citatel XV. It always generates a Kernel-Power 41 critical error after the reboot that I assume is an effect of the reboot and not the cause since the laptop is plugged in and not on battery and no power failures occurred.

I have tried several GPU driver versions from the most recent stable ones from AMD the site, to previous ones, to the one from Windows Update and the one available on the ASUS support page for my laptop model. While using the ASUS driver there were two times the system didn't restart but instead, the game crashed to the desktop and I got a notification from Radeon Software saying something like "to avoid a system restart or hang the graphics driver entered safe mode, a system restart is needed to fix the driver". When I entered the game after, since the driver for the RX6800M was disabled, the game ran stable and without issues with the mainboard GPU only. When it uses the RX6800M it just restarts the laptop.

I have tried some basic troubleshooting like a clean install of the latest AMD Adrenalin driver, ran every component diagnostic available in the MyAsus app without any issues coming up, ran sfc in the command prompt with no system errors, disabling windows fullscreen enhancement, running the games in either window maximized, borderless or fullscreen, disabling all overlays, uninstalled Armoury Crate since there were reports that some firmware could have a conflict with AMD drivers, ran a mem check that reported no problems on the RAM, clean installs of Windows, turning off game mode on Windows settings, nothing solved the issue.

Temps appear to be within acceptable values, CPU never goes above 93°C, RX6800M current temp maxes out at 82°C and only the junction temp goes to 100°C.

I have the latest BIOS version for my laptop (v.318), Windows 11 Home fully updated, a VBIOS Hotfix that was released by ASUS to try and solve random restarts on Advantage Edition laptops, and no security software other than Windows Security Center.

Anyone has other ideas or suggestions to try and solve this?

2 Replies
leif_duncan
Journeyman III

Hi, sorry for reviving this post but I just bought the TUF Gaming 2023 advantage edition a few days ago. On the same day I encountered consistent reboots every 2-5 minutes. I'm finding similar problems reported by users on different forums (Steam, ROG, Reddit, this one; albeit they're all STRIX models). I would just like to know if you kept your G713 laptop and fixed the issue..

0 Likes
SabrePT
Adept II

In my case i suspect it was due to a SSD that wasn't compatible with the motherboard but I ended up replacing the laptop by a different model one. In your case if you bought it new and didn't make any hardware changes i would advise you to return it and get a new one.