cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dantech
Journeyman III

fullscreen windowed mode and second screen problem

When i play a game on full screen windowed mode like Destiny 2 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey and i play a video on YouTube or on Windows media player or any kind of video on the second screen the video lags like crazy.

I have tried with AMD RX 570, AMD RX 580 and AMD RX 480 all versions with 8 gb ram

I have tried with all the types of monitors i could get on my hands and all the combinations (DP,HDMI even with VGA cable with adapter to DP and HDMI)

My monitors are Samsung C27F591 connected both with DP and the other monitors i tried was  LG 24" with HDMI and LG 21" TV also with HDMI (this one was the test subject with the vga cable).

I did a windows 10 (1809 and 1803) clean install twice.

I have Radeon software version 18.12.1.1.

The rest of the computer is a Ryzen 5 2600 and a gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 and a thermaltake 850W psu.

I tried turning off the hardware acceleration on Firefox it didn't worked.

On a more simple game like Diablo 3 i don't have that problem.

PLEASE HELP ME I'M NEAR ON BREAKING EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!

Edit : yes it is confirmed when i disabled the freesync on both monitors from the monitor menu and the radeon software and after i restarted windows everything worked fine....

but AMD should fix this... me and im sure many others payed a lot of money for the freesync and now its kinda crippled

0 Likes
1 Solution
theacclaimed
Miniboss

This is a known issue documented in this recent video Exploring AMD's Radeon RX Vega 64 Crossfire - YouTube

However, it seems to be known to the general public but it is unknown if AMD is aware of this bug since they have not mentioned it in the release notes.

It is a freesync bug that I talked about in a previous post RX Vega 56/64 Video playback stutters on High Refresh 144hz on 2nd monitor while gaming and also observed by others in this post Vega 56 - Windows 10 Desktop lagging while gaming in windowed mode.

This should be filed as a Freesync bug with multiple monitors.

When freesync is enabled on the main or all 3 displays with refresh rate at 120Hz or higher. Video playback on all web browsers and media players will stutter. Something is wrong with the frame display timing.

Issue exists in 18.7.1 and later

Workaround: Disable Freesync on all monitors and reset PC.

amdmattcan you look into this issue please as it is gaining more and more visibility now that the youtube video has been released. The issue basically renders freesync useless. Exploring AMD's Radeon RX Vega 64 Crossfire - YouTube  link to the 11:55 mark where the freesync bug is demonstrated

View solution in original post

6 Replies
theacclaimed
Miniboss

This is a known issue documented in this recent video Exploring AMD's Radeon RX Vega 64 Crossfire - YouTube

However, it seems to be known to the general public but it is unknown if AMD is aware of this bug since they have not mentioned it in the release notes.

It is a freesync bug that I talked about in a previous post RX Vega 56/64 Video playback stutters on High Refresh 144hz on 2nd monitor while gaming and also observed by others in this post Vega 56 - Windows 10 Desktop lagging while gaming in windowed mode.

This should be filed as a Freesync bug with multiple monitors.

When freesync is enabled on the main or all 3 displays with refresh rate at 120Hz or higher. Video playback on all web browsers and media players will stutter. Something is wrong with the frame display timing.

Issue exists in 18.7.1 and later

Workaround: Disable Freesync on all monitors and reset PC.

amdmattcan you look into this issue please as it is gaining more and more visibility now that the youtube video has been released. The issue basically renders freesync useless. Exploring AMD's Radeon RX Vega 64 Crossfire - YouTube  link to the 11:55 mark where the freesync bug is demonstrated

Just replying to say that this also resolved my issues in FFXIV. It is super disappointing that I can't use FreeSync anymore

0 Likes
jiaoriu
Journeyman III

Im using two DELL Displays U2715H+U2711 (both connected via displayport. The monitors don't support FreeSync so this cannot be the source of the problem. Since a few driver versions ago (if I remember correctly it worked in the past) I cannot view any video on fullscreen while gaming fullscreen on the other monitor. The problems range from complete freezes to just entering powersafe mode on the U2715H (Mainmonitor) which is only usable again after I'll do a pc reboot.
This is simply unacceptable and has me strongly considering switching to a Nvidia Graphic card.

Radeon Software 19.2.2
Card: R9 390 series
Windows 10 64bit (newest updates installed)

0 Likes
chillyride
Adept I

Same here! Vega 64. Two Monitors, 2k 144hz freesync disabled, second 60hz 1080p no freesync, two disaplays going black but pc works, hear audio. My situation is playing wow on 144hz, on second watching twitch, browsing. Tired of so much problems with drivers. All I am doing is posting here in different threads different issues. -_- AMD Good Bye! No more technique from U!

0 Likes
olympiclarry
Journeyman III

Can you try and disable Fullscreen Optimizations for the game and see if that works?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
tehg
Adept I

I think for everyone seeing this, we should ensure we send problem reports directly to AMD viya https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Here is my rambling email I sent.

I'm experiencing the issue outlined in this AMD Community thread. https://community.amd.com/thread/230350#comment-2872516

This issue comes up if I am playing games on my main screen, have a video playing on my second screen, and have FreeSync enabled. The ultimate workaround is disabling FreeSync and rebooting. Playing in full screen mode instead of borderless windowed mode helps, but is not always a resolution.

Both of my monitors are 144hz. I generally only keep FreeSync on for my main monitor, as it supports FreeSync at 144hz. Toggling FreeSync on my second screen does not help. Reducing the frame rate on my monitors does help sometimes, but not in all games. I suspect it is a prioritization thing.

This occurred on my Fury X, and continues to occur on my Vega 64.

0 Likes