cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jdaremo
Journeyman III

Frustrating Graphics Issue

I have had this issue going on 2 years with 2 different systems and 2 different Radeon GPUs. It started in the Fall of 2017 if that helps.

Playing a game, doesn't matter which one cause it happens during almost all games, and suddenly I get a Green/Grey screen and either the system totally locks up, the game crashes to desktop or computer reboots as a result. The only thing in common between the two different PCs is that they had Radeon GPUs, Drivers & Adrenalin. Oh, and after CTD or System Restart I get the message "Default Radeon Wattman settings has been restored due to unexpected Failure"

Here's Both Systems. (keep in mind that both GPUs were tried on System 1)

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • XFX Radeon R9 270x 
    • RX 550 4Gb Aero itx (not installed at the same time)
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop PC
  • Operating System
    • Sys 1: Win 7 Pro
    • Sys 2: Win 10 Pro
  • Driver version installed
    • First Radeon Crimson then Radeon Adrenalin
  • Display Devices
    • 2 different LCD Displays, both were HDMI 1920x1080 @60hz.
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Sys 1: Gigabyte FM2/FM2+ GA-F2A58M - DS2
    • Sys 2: ASUS RoG Strix B450-F
  • CPU/APU
    • Sys 1: A6 6400k
    • Sys 2: Ryzen 5 2600
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Sys 1: CS Series Modular CS550M - 550 Watt 80+ Gold
    • Sys 2: Thermaltake Smart Pro - 750 Watt 80+ Silver
  • RAM
    • Sys 1: 8Gb (2x4Gb 1866 Mhz) G Skill Ripjaw-X
    • Sys 1: 16Gb (2x8Gb 3000 Mhz) T-Force Dark Gaming

Windows up to date at all times, Drivers up to date at all times. Never have Over-Clocked anything. Never have used Wattman. The problem exists with and without tweaks made in the Game Profiles in Adrenalin. Clean Reinstall of GPU Drivers. I have tested the Windows Registry, Files, etc. System 2 was a Fresh Clean Install or Win10 on New Hardware. I have checked the released notes on all driver updates. I have run both the Stable and Experimental Drivers.

I have been building computer system for over 20yrs and have never encountered this issue before. I can't afford to keep buying another GPU in the hopes of the next one not having the issue because I'm on a Fixed Income. After 20yrs+ of being an avid AMD supporter and building AMD PCs, I'm starting to look at the "Other Guy" for a GPU solution because of this 2-year headache.

0 Likes
4 Replies

You didn't mentioned if you ran a GPU Stress test to see if the problem occurs when the GPU is stressed and under heavy loads.

Here is a list of most of the stress testing software. Some are free and other or not: Huge List of Computer Stress Test Software [Used by Pros in the Industry] 

Also didn't mention what temperatures your GPUs are showing when it crashes?

I do know that the RX 5xx series card need to be configured correctly in Wattman to prevent it from crashing and being unstable as a first step in troubleshooting your issue.

pokester‌ or kingfish‌ could help you set up Wattman correctly as a first step.

It could also be incompatible or failing hardware like RAM memory.

While I feel for the OP's frustration. We really need some more isolated complete information of the problem. One system at a time, what is going on specifically with what game, what driver is being used. Windows 32 bit or 64 bit and what version ie 1809? etc. etc.

The information already given is just to vague to begin to guess where issues lie. In general I would suggest just making sure the power limit is set to it's maximum for each card. That should help stability a lot.

Actually, if you read what I posted I did answer. Win10 is ONLY 64 bit, and my Win 7 Pro was 64-bit as well. I would suggest you go back and actually read what I posted. It doesn't matter what game I run, the problem persists in ALL GAMES.

Since this has been going for 2+ Years on 2 different systems, the Windows Build # is irrelevant. System 1 is my old system and BOTH GPUs were having the issue. I can't address this problem 1 system at a time, because I don't use System 1 anymore for gaming. I built System 2 to replace it. The problem started on the R9 270x, so I bought the RX 550 thinking that the R9 270x was failing. But after a clean driver install, I found the problem persisted with the RX 550. After saving up for over a year I built the new system and yet again I have that problem with the RX 550. I have not tried the R9 270x on the new system and I have never touched Wattman.

What do you mean by "making sure the power limit is set to it's maximum"? Aren't they set that way by default?

I had the Radeon Overlay running and temps never got above 63C with me rarely getting more than 40FPS on medium settings.

System 2 is brand new so Failing Hardware is not the issue. As for Incompatible, That's not the case and it wouldn't explain why my old system was doing the EXACT Same Thing as my Brand New System.

What do you mean Wattman needs to be properly configured for RX 5xx Cards? Where can I find those settings so I can set it up properly? I just want this 2-year old headache to go away.

0 Likes

Well I already empathized with your situation. I do get your frustrated and I too am frustrated with why AMD cards don't at times work at default settings. So unfortunately since you came here for help and didn't give enough information for me to be able to help and have decided what is relevant for me to know to help when I already would have helped, if I could have from what you said and unfortunately other than one question still cant, I can only answer one thing. No the power limit is not set at maximum by default. The default is at 0. The maximum for all cards may be different between model numbers and makers but raising it to its maximum usually helps stability greatly. Your cards max power limit setting is likely between 20 and 50. Whatever it is just said it to it's max. The build version of Windows does matter, but it sounds like you now best what is "really" needed. You did not mention 32 or 64 bit before I did read thoroughly what you posted, maybe you need to go back and read what you wrote? That is where it really became tough to try to answer the combined complaint and information you gave try to know what to apply to what card and OS. Maybe someone else will be able to read better what you said and be able to help. I do hope you get your issues resolved. These are USER TO USER Forums only meaning we are all only users like you helping others. Nobody here is under obligation to help so those of us that do help genuinely want to help and don't owe help on anything. If you read through these forums you will see tons of setup advice for Wattman, the biggest piece being the power limit setting I already explained to you. I can't explain your issues that span generations of cards, systems, operating systems and likely at least 3 generations of driver architectures with such limited information and lack of specific isolated questions and targeted information.  Based on the fact it has gone a week and nobody else has attempted to try either, you sound like someone would benefit from asking for help directly from AMD SUPPORT. you can do that by filling out this request form. Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes