ITX System

R9 5800x

64GB RAM

7900 XTX

2TB aorus gen 4 nvme

4 TB samsung QVO SSD

x570 aorus prowifi itx mobo

Cooler Master v850 SFX

I am experiencing frequent random game crashes since I swapped my vega64 for a 6900 xt. Recently I swapped my 6900 xt for a 7900 xtx. The issue got worse now. Cyberpunk is an instant crash now. The witcher 3 always after a few minutes of play. Most other games after hours or several minutes. 

When some games crash I receive a message on screen generated by the adrenalin driver to sent a report of what went wrong. In Cyberpunk I receive the message "something went wrong choomba". But no matter what message I receive, when I go back into the adrenalin driver the bell icon warns me something went wrong recently and several options were restored (like auto undervolting) to normal.

What did I do to mitigate the issue:

Got rid of the daisy chain 8 pin PSU connector and replaced it with two 8 pin psu cable connectors.

Reset the drivers to factory settings.

Did a clean install of the driver after using the AMD clean up utility. Reinstalled with a minimal driver installation.

Swapped out the corsair SF750 with a v850 PSU.

I don't really know what is causing the crashes. As I initially had only a 750w PSU while 850w was advised, I decided to take care of that first. But that didn't make a difference. With the 6900 xt the crashes were infrequent enough to be bearable, but now it is just too much.

Is something wrong with the system I posted above? Are there still things I can do to mitigate the issue? Or just wait for new drivers to arrive? If you need extra information, just ask.

kr

Bart

0 Likes
1 Solution
Zeltor
Adept II

I would recommend to test a fresh windows installation booted from a usb stick or external HDD just to be sure there's nothing conflicting, some other drivers etc.

Also recommended to test ram with memtest86.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Zeltor
Adept II

I would recommend to test a fresh windows installation booted from a usb stick or external HDD just to be sure there's nothing conflicting, some other drivers etc.

Also recommended to test ram with memtest86.

0 Likes

I realized with your suggestion, I am running windows 11, which was upgraded from windows 10. I remember hardware unboxed and other channels advising a clean install to do the upgrade. This didn't happen. As I only play videogames on my pc and all saves are in the cloud, I will now take the time and proceed with a clean install. I will report back if this alleviated the crashes. If not, I will test the RAM.

Good luck!

0 Likes

A clean win 11 alleviated the issue.

Magnarks
Adept I

You have a high xmp profile?

0 Likes
Golgren
Journeyman III

Double your board is running current drivers. My PC was unbeknownst running caveman era potato code. Flashing the BIOS with updated firmware, finally solved my card doing exactly what you are describing. Quite a hassle, pinpointing the exact stuff I needed but with some patience and due diligence. Getting 155 fps on my RX 5700 XT with CyberPunk : 2077 Phantom Liberty.

0 Likes