cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

last_dovahkiin
Journeyman III

FreeSync working or not?

So I have FreeSync monitor (Dell SE2717H 27", 40 - 75Hz FreeSync) and AMD card (XFX AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5).

FreeSync is enabled in settings and on my monitor by default (I dont have settings for FreeSync in monitor menu, but it says on web site it is enabled by default and I installed drivers), but I feel like there is still some screen problems, Idk how to explain it but bottom on monitor seems like is tearing or having some problems.

I tried to set max. fps in AMD setting to 73, but same thing. I have seen some people recommand using ingame v-sync with FreeSync, and some say to not use it but use AMD settings.

What should I do? How do I know if my FreeSync is working as intended? What is best "combination" to have maximum out of FreeSync monitor?

Also I tried to do FreeSync + cap fps on 73, and disable FreeSync + uncap fps (I'm getting some 100) -> In both cases I cant see any difference... How can I test is my FreeSync working as intended?

0 Likes
3 Replies

Try the Windmill Demo

I downloaded it, but it works only in 30 and 60 fps, not 75 fps

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

Freesync range for that monitor is 48-75.

If you are not sensitive to input latency, then turn on vsync in game. Forcing vsync on through AMD settings does not always work. With vsync on, there is no reason to limit FPS.

To test, you need a game that will produce FPS in the 48-75 range. When the FPS drops into the range, everything should still be smooth with no tearing. With vsync on, you will not go over 75 FPS. Because that monitor does not support LFC, you will mostly detect some stuttering once the FPS drops below 48 (freesync is no longer being used), but you will not see tearing due to vsync on.