cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

binarydepth
Adept II

Freesync with two monitors plugged but set only on one monitor, will it work?

Linux Freesync page says : 

• In multi-display configurations, FreeSync will NOT be engaged (even if both FreeSync displays are identical)

I plan on buying a new monitor since one of mine died. If I only set one monitor to Freesync will it work? I know my current driver could not be supported but I'm waiting for next AMDGPU-PRO update because I'm having a problem with KMS not being successfully set and get stuck at login screen. Right now I'm just researching if the future setup with AMDGPU-PRO will provide FreeSync functionality. So will this work? two monitors one without Freesync and just set one for Freesync with the command DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output DisplayPort-# --set "freesync" 1.

GIGABYTE Radeon RX 560 4GB OC

GIGABYTE GA-AB350 GAMING 3 Rev 1.x MOBO

Ubuntu 18.04.2 AMD 64

RADV Driver

1 Acer 231HL 60 Hz

1 Acer GF246 75 Hz (planning on buying soon)

BIOS Ver F23

EVGA 600W

16 GB Ram Ballistic Sport 2666

0 Likes
2 Replies
binarydepth
Adept II

Successfully installed the AMDGPU-PRO driver on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04.1 install

0 Likes

This is a super old thread, but just FYI, you can't use Freesync if you have more than one monitor, EVEN IF BOTH MONITORS SUPPORT FREESYNC AND/OR ARE IDENTICAL MODELS. The monitor will work, of course, but you will not have Freesync active as long as you have more than one monitor connected. It's an inherent limitation of Xorg and cannot be fixed. 

Wayland does not have this limitation, and you could use Freesync on your main monitor without having to disconnect your second monitor if you use a Wayland desktop environment session that supports Variable Refresh Rate (currently only Plasma Wayland and Sway WM). But if you're using Xorg, then you've not been using Freesync. It's impossible. 

0 Likes