cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

powernap
Adept I

Freesync through HDMI is not working

I have a 5700XT and a Samsung S24F354 monitor with Freesync through HDMI. It is enabled in control panel and on the OSD in the monitor, but I keep getting tearing inside freesync range of 48-72. In some games like Witcher 3 I only get lower screen tearing that travels slowly upward to the middle, in others like Rage 2 I get the classic split screen tearing. I have tried every driver from 19.11 to 20-8.2 and I get tearing in all games I try unless I enable v-sync. I use DDU to clean when changing drivers. I have tried changing HDMI-cable with no luck. My sons setup with a Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ and a S24F352 monitor has the same issue. Both setups run Windows 10 64 1909 with latest updates. Only way to avoid tearing is v-sync which gives stuttering in several games. I have installed the monitor drivers on both setups and disabled anit-blur on them as well. Tried both freesync ultimate and standard. Makes no difference. I have tried using chill or rtss to stay inside freesync range, but it there is tearing when at 48-72fps if I cap fps or don`t. Anything I can try to make it work? I consider buying another monitor to solve the issue, but I really like the PLS panel and don`t need 70+ fps so if I can I want to stick with my current setup.

0 Likes
1 Reply
powernap
Adept I

Issue solved, for some reason the minor windows update that broke freesync had 'updated' my monitor driver to plug and play and set max refresh rate to 59Hz. I changed it to 72Hz and now freesync works perfectly with the 20.5.1 and 20.8.2 on both setups. Still don't know why monitor Hz of 59 gave me tearing at 55fps, but maybe it fluctuated a bit even though I used fps-limiter. 

0 Likes