cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

peca
Adept I

Freesync Stuttering

So this are the specs of my pc:         CPU:Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 Ghz      GPU:Rog Strix Rx Vega 56      Ram:16Gb Dual Channel HyperX Predator 3200Mhz    Mboard:Aorus B450 Pro     Monitor:Dell S2419HGF 144Hz

So i have a big issue with freesync sttutering on all the games i play.When i play and turn freesync on the games are extremely smooth without any screen tearing but it hitches a lot even when my fps doesn't drop i tried installing older amd drivers and searched the whole internet and i can't seem to find a fix for it.There is no way i can play games without freesync because everything looks so unsmooth.I will be so gratefull if someone helps me fix this problem.

13 Replies
jseds
Adept I

I don’t have a solution to the problem but I am experiencing the same thing. Games run fine for a while then they begin to stutter like no tomorrow.

khun_doug
Elite

I am not having this problem and my GPU is the Radeon VII, but I can try to help. And since there is another that posted on this thread, it would be helpful if both of you could provide some more information.

First, what version of Adrenalin are you using? In the games, do you have the choice to change between DX11, DX12, OpenGL and Vulkan? Which of those is your game using?

Does the stuttering begin immediately when you start the game play? Or does the game play for a while and then the stuttering begins?

Hi,

I am using version 20.1.1 and I believe Apex uses DX11. It starts after a while, almost as if my new Thicc 3 Ultra is overheating which its not. It may have to do with freesync issues because turning it off on my display seems to alleviate the problem to a degree but remains present. 

0 Likes

I am using 19.12.2 and i play csgo which uses dx 9 and other games that use dx11 and dx12.My stuttering begins immediately only when freesync is on.I have tried changing my hdmi cable to a display port and it didn't do anything,used other driver versions and a lot more but nothing seems to fix it.

0 Likes
khun_doug
Elite

The first thing I would do, if you can and don't have a lot of tweaking done, is use DDU to wipe the machine clear of Adrenalin. DDU is available for free. The best and surest way for DDU to work correctly is to bring up the PC in safe mode, use DDU to clear the driver and all settings, and then reboot. Then reinstall Adrenalin to be sure you have all stock settings.

Next is to be sure the display is correctly recognized by Adrenalin. I no longer have the older Adrenalin installed so I can only say how to navigate to the proper location. From the main display of Adrenalin, click the Settings icon on the right of the top toolbar. Then click on the Display tab. You should see all the important display defaults for your system. That includes having FreeSync enabled, plus the other choices that are available and appropriate.

Next is to check settings related to the specific game. Click on one of the gaming profiles, or create one if none exists. You should see an area for Radeon FreeSync (mine is on the right half of the window). I use AMD optimized. On the left pane there are options for Anti-Lag, Chill, Radeon Enhanced Sync. I use Enhanced Sync enabled. You may want to try disabling Chill and Anti-Lag. Experimenting with these may also yield some benefit.

I will try the things you said tommorow and let you know the results.Thank you so much for helping.

0 Likes

So here are the results.I booted window into safe mode and used amd cleanup utility tool to uninstall the adrenalin and then installed the newest 20.1.1 drivers and turned freesync on with enhanced sync too.All other setting like anti lag,radeon chill are turned off.Started some games and had the same stuttering issues,Then i decided to experiment and try different settings and the best settings were only amd optimized freesync on with all other settings off but i am still getting stuttering maybe just a little less.Even before all this i tried all possible combinations in the radeon software and nothing fixed it.

0 Likes

Can you confirm your display is set to its max frame rate in windows? Maybe the cable you are using isnt capable of high fps. Also, do you use afterburner? If so, do the frame rate and frametime graphs match the stutter you are experiencing? If not, then we can decidedly say it might be your display. 

Im pretty sure my cable is capable of high fps but i can instead try my 75hz freesync display that i use as a second monitor and see if i have stuttering on a different monitor.And im going to check the graphs too.

0 Likes

Just for testing you can download the latest Unigine. I would be sure to enable V-Sync in the testing. See how the display performs while Unigine is running.

peca
Adept I

Ok so i downloaded the unigine valley benchmark and tried it with V-Sync and it was running pretty much perfect but when i turned it off the stuttering is back.I guess that means that my display is alright then.What do you guys say?

0 Likes

I would suggest two options. First, and probably the simplest method would be to enable V-Sync in your games. That should eradicate your game stuttering. Some people call that tearing. Whatever the name or term, V-Sync is designed to eliminate that.

Second option would be to enable Radeon Chill for the problematic games. In the Radeon Chill setting you can choose a low-end FPS (min FPS), and Max FPS. The Max FPS should be no higher than the refresh rate of the monitor. On the Min FPS, I would think anything below 50 would be obviously noticeable. And it is worth mentioning that some games do not operate properly with Min FPS being too low. Experiment and see where you find the best results.

Hey sorry for not replying in some time i was busy.So i don't think v-sync is an option because of the input delay that you get when you turn it on,especially in competitive games that i play it gives me a huge disadvantage and make the experience awfull.I though freesync is going to deal the problem with tearing and terrible input delay with v-sync.

0 Likes