cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cyano
Journeyman III

FreeSync not (always) working? WoW; Borderless Mode; 6900 XT

When playing WoW it seems like freesync doesn't always work for me.

I limitthe FPS (in wow) to 120, now I would expect that my monitor uses a refrash rate of 120Hz, but instead it sometimes stucks at 144 Hz (it's max, fps seem to be correctly limited to 120). Then again after somtime my monitor switches to the expected 120Hz only to change back to 144Hz after a couple of minutes.

I'm using LG monitors (lg27gl850) with freesync premium and gsync compatibility, on my old setup using a rtx2070 everything worked as expected (so my monitors shouldn't be a problem), now with my new 6900 XT it's kinda random, somtimes monitor sticks to 120Hz somtimes to 144Hz.

Problem at 144Hz when e.g. flying the enviroment seems to stutter when passing it instead of it looking like a smooth transition

I tried amd optimized an on in driver setting no difference.

Is there anything else I need to do? It's my first amd card after a couple of years. mybe I missed somthing? According to the driver freesync is enabled for my monitor.

Or is it probably related to the fact that wow only supports borderless fullscreen (no true fullscreen) I remember that nvidia somtimes had problem with this.

0 Likes
2 Replies
delevero
Adept III

A common problem with monitors and Gsync and freesync is that people are using a wrong cable for their monitor that limit the speed of the signal and hz.

personaly i used HDMI for many years and had issues, until one day i tried to install a display port cable and then all of a sudden everything worked better.
So if you for example have upgraded your pc and kept your old HDMI cable or Display port cable then one thing you could try is to buy a new cabe of high quality. Example buy a 4k HDMI or Display port compatible cable though you dont play in 4k then you should be on the safe side ;-)

ps. be aware i think that AMD's driver for the 6900xt and amd bios have some bugs.
By the way many amd 6900xt cards crash/shut down the computer after gaming for some times.. if you get this issue then you should every day see if there is a new bios avaliable for your motherboard to fix the issue.. its have something to do with the computer going into a s3 hybrid sleep mode of some kind that is bugged.
Also regarding speed of your screen.. if you have a VR headset connected to your pc try to remove it and see if that help with the fps.. I think it will ( i did personaly get more fps when the vr headset was removed, again i think its a driver issue ).

pps.. some games run a little better on nvidia some run a little better on amd.

0 Likes

Thanks, but I always use DP (it's the monitor original cable btw.) and cause it worked fine using my old nvidia card, it means it is very unlikly that it's related to the cable. I doubt amd will send more data than nvida at the same resolution, color space and refresh rate.

no vr headset and my fps are fine, it's just an issue with freesync.

It also varies with games, overwatch for example is fine and as it uses exclusive fullscreen I suspected it to be related to the border less mode in wow.

0 Likes