Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

larzen
Journeyman III

FreeSync issue on XboxOneX

Hello everyone!

So I have a XboxOneX that i've connected to a Samsung Q7FN TV that have FreeSync support. But when I activate FreeSync I can see horisontal bars rolling on the screen. You can see it in the right light conditions in a game or background colors on the console menus etc.

I've checked some videos on YouTube where people are showing this TV, XboxOneX and it's FreeSync feature. And 9 of 10 videos I see them have the same issue. But they dont mention it so either they haven't noticed it or it's a known issue?

Here's a video I've made where you can see it really good. The video is lying a little as when playing you cant see it as good as this. But it's a nice video to show the issue.

Any idea what this is?

Samsung Q7FN FreeSync Problem - YouTube

0 Likes
1 Solution

Think you need to contact Samsung and/or Microsoft, if this is just xbox to tv. No pc/laptop involved.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Think you need to contact Samsung and/or Microsoft, if this is just xbox to tv. No pc/laptop involved.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Could be..

I just thought that since Xbox's GPU and FreeSync is from AMD that some answers could be found here.

0 Likes

The Freesync range for 4K is really limited on those Samsung TVs (48-60Hz).  Try enabling it at 1440p when the freesync range is 48-120Hz by adjusting the settings in the Xbox and the display.  If the issue goes away, it almost certainly has something to do with how the display is handling Freesync at that resolution.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hello,

Does that happen if you expand the freesync range using 1440p and 120Hz?  Or is this 60Hz and 4K?

0 Likes

Hi!

Tested today and it happens on both 1440p@120Hz and 4K@60Hz. It's moving faster and harder to see at times at 1440p@120Hz.

I've watched some other videos on YouTube with people talking about this TV and FreeSync. Most of them say they can only see the rolling bars when recording it and watching it. That it's not possible to see it with the naked eye.

Well...I can..

0 Likes

0 Likes

That's months old information. Since then firmware updates have rolled out enabling FreSync in 1080p,1440p and 2160p.

0 Likes

It is a common problem with TN, VA panels, less so with IPS.  Pretty long thread here dedicated to that.

Brightness flickering when freesync is ON in multiple games (worse since last driver update)

Ah... I've heard people say FreeSync is not especially good. But never why. I'm starting to see the big picture here now. This kinds sucks as it makes FreeSync kinda pointless for me and my setup. Strange that there is no more noise around this?

0 Likes

It sounds like you may be experiencing more flicking than is typical though.  I would contact Samsung as it is possible they have a way to fix the issue.  Unfortunately, because Freesync is built off an open standard, AMD doesn't have any control over the panels and scalars used.  They should probably get a little stingier on minimum performance needed for Freesync certification.

0 Likes

I do use Freesync on my Acer 27", 40-144Hz at 1440p, and I don't see any of the flickering issues.  That model uses and IPS panel however, which seem to perform better in regards to the issue.  The problem is panel dependant however, with TN panels being the most problematic.

0 Likes

I see. I'll probably just deliver this TV back and go for something else. Thank you for your time

0 Likes