cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

InVitriol
Adept I

Freesync causing Flickering/Blackscreen on video play back M32u/6700xt

3800x, 6700xt red devil. Full Specs: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/InVitriol/saved/#view=7hwVcf

Recently purchased a Gigabyte M32U 4k 144hz Freesync premium Pro

When I watch video on Youtube with HDR enabled there is constant flickering and full signal loss(blaack screen).

Initially I was blaming it on 144hz HDR, but I noticed it also occured at 120hz, so I tried turning off Freesync and this solved the problem.

I'm in communication with the vendor, but we're not sure it's a product fault, any help ideas would be appreciated.

This is what i've tried:

• 3 cables. 2 hdmi, 1 DP (1 Dp and 1 hdmi supplied with monitor)
  • Ferrite rings on cables
  • updating monitor drivers and firmware (last 2)
  • 3 different gpu drivers (the last 3 graphics drivers)
  • 3 motherboard bios
  • 2 chipsets
  • win 11 and 2 versions of win 10
  • 2 power cables
  • upgraded fibre to 300Mb from 70Mb- and router is further away from pc
  • 2 browsers (chrome and firefox)
1 Solution
InVitriol
Adept I

It was AMD drivers it seems as referenced in the latest patch:

"Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT."

Only found out because I upgraded cards and the problem is gone. Wasted a lot of time on this, and other people's at Overclockers and Gigabyte.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
InVitriol
Adept I

So, no replies. I guess what i'm asking is:

Is it a driver issue (Amd)

Or is it a product issue with the monitor (should I RMA).

Thankyou in advance.

0 Likes

I have a Razer Blade 14 AMD Ryzen 9 6900 HX and I get the same issue. I don't get the issue when I use USB-C connection. Crazy thing is that I also don't get the issue when I use an HDMI to DP cable with active signal processing (powered chip on the cord). This is making me think that the issue is on the monitor. Note, that plugging HDMI to the laptop will use the RTX 3070ti... USBc will use the IGPU.

0 Likes
nibiru
Adept III

If it's the flickering I get, theres no fixing it with drivers. You will need a new monitor.

I have 2 monitors that are a different brand and flickering on both with freesync. I've spent literal years here and there trying to fix it, but it just comes down to the monitor. Some flicker and some don't

InVitriol
Adept I

It was AMD drivers it seems as referenced in the latest patch:

"Brief display corruption may occur when switching between video and game windows on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT."

Only found out because I upgraded cards and the problem is gone. Wasted a lot of time on this, and other people's at Overclockers and Gigabyte.

Vynski
Exemplar

It certainly looks like you ran the gauntlet in trouble shooting the problem.  Glad to see the end result you discovered.  You may save a lot of users the same fortune with the experience.  Just watch forum psots and be willing to add that experience. 

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

Yeah I will. The poor guy at Overclockers was going through this with me for weeks.

First class customer service there!

Gigabyte, who have been helpful in the past, washed their hands and directed me to contact the seller.