cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

originalando
Adept I

Freesync causing bad stutter with RX6800

I was able to get a RX 6800 at launch and swapped out my old 970 GTX. I ran DDU in safe mode (multiple times at this point) and updated the radeon graphics drivers. The first 5 days were AMAZING, perfect performance at max settings. Then all of a sudden, I got crazy stuttering. Around the same time I noticed coil whine, but this could just be due to how much more attention I was paying to the system while trying to diagnose. Either way, I couldn't think of any hardware/software change that I made in the timeframe of the instant drop in performance. Many days later, I have tested everything I can think of. Including resetting mobo bios and redoing all configurations (just short of clean OS install).

But I have now narrowed down one massive difference. With freesync enabled, I get crazy stuttering, which is also easy to identify using the radeon software to view the chart of frame times. Also, what's interesting is the FPS counter in COD:WZ wont match the radeon metrics overlay (with freesync on). The moment I disable freesync, buttery smooth. No tearing or stuttering that I can see. Now, I can totally play like this right now, but I'm concerned as to why Freesync seems to be causing the exact issues it should fix. For some reference, I'm in the 110-120 FPS range with highest settings in Warzone (3440x1440). Other games like GTAV show the same weird issue with freesync.

I have tried putting in bug reports as well, but without any sort of response, I don't know if they are even noticed. This is something easily noticed when recording slow-mo with a cell phone. Temps are all good, low 70's. Power draw is usually between 170-190W as reported by the radeon software.

System Specs:

R5 3600 (4.2ghz)

RX 6800 (default profile)

LG 34GN850 (3440x1440 Freesync 2, using LG supplied DP cable)

2x16GB CL16 3600 (XMP enabled)

ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus

650W EVGA G3 PSU

Crucial P1 NVME M.2 (1TB)

2 Solutions

There is a new driver out today! Try installing the new 20.11.3 driver with the Factory Reset option and see if there is any improvement.

If not make sure to fill out the Bug Report in Radeon Settings or

let AMD support know about it here:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

@NeeDforKill 

I just played with some settings and was able to replicate our issues exactly again, but now I know what caused it before and didn't need to redo drivers to fix it.

Check to see if you have "10-Bit Pixel Format" enabled under the settings>Graphics>Advanced Section. It needs to be DISABLED for freesync to work right (at least for me right now). So turn it off if you have it enabled. My monitor supports 10-bit color, but the combo of 10-bit and freesync isnt working well for me. 

10bit.PNG

Don't confuse this with the Display Settings for 10-bit color depth, mine still has this enabled with no issues. Let me know if this helps!

View solution in original post

12 Replies