cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

originalando
Adept I

Freesync causing bad stutter with RX6800

I was able to get a RX 6800 at launch and swapped out my old 970 GTX. I ran DDU in safe mode (multiple times at this point) and updated the radeon graphics drivers. The first 5 days were AMAZING, perfect performance at max settings. Then all of a sudden, I got crazy stuttering. Around the same time I noticed coil whine, but this could just be due to how much more attention I was paying to the system while trying to diagnose. Either way, I couldn't think of any hardware/software change that I made in the timeframe of the instant drop in performance. Many days later, I have tested everything I can think of. Including resetting mobo bios and redoing all configurations (just short of clean OS install).

But I have now narrowed down one massive difference. With freesync enabled, I get crazy stuttering, which is also easy to identify using the radeon software to view the chart of frame times. Also, what's interesting is the FPS counter in COD:WZ wont match the radeon metrics overlay (with freesync on). The moment I disable freesync, buttery smooth. No tearing or stuttering that I can see. Now, I can totally play like this right now, but I'm concerned as to why Freesync seems to be causing the exact issues it should fix. For some reference, I'm in the 110-120 FPS range with highest settings in Warzone (3440x1440). Other games like GTAV show the same weird issue with freesync.

I have tried putting in bug reports as well, but without any sort of response, I don't know if they are even noticed. This is something easily noticed when recording slow-mo with a cell phone. Temps are all good, low 70's. Power draw is usually between 170-190W as reported by the radeon software.

System Specs:

R5 3600 (4.2ghz)

RX 6800 (default profile)

LG 34GN850 (3440x1440 Freesync 2, using LG supplied DP cable)

2x16GB CL16 3600 (XMP enabled)

ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus

650W EVGA G3 PSU

Crucial P1 NVME M.2 (1TB)

2 Solutions

There is a new driver out today! Try installing the new 20.11.3 driver with the Factory Reset option and see if there is any improvement.

If not make sure to fill out the Bug Report in Radeon Settings or

let AMD support know about it here:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

@NeeDforKill 

I just played with some settings and was able to replicate our issues exactly again, but now I know what caused it before and didn't need to redo drivers to fix it.

Check to see if you have "10-Bit Pixel Format" enabled under the settings>Graphics>Advanced Section. It needs to be DISABLED for freesync to work right (at least for me right now). So turn it off if you have it enabled. My monitor supports 10-bit color, but the combo of 10-bit and freesync isnt working well for me. 

10bit.PNG

Don't confuse this with the Display Settings for 10-bit color depth, mine still has this enabled with no issues. Let me know if this helps!

View solution in original post

12 Replies

There is a new driver out today! Try installing the new 20.11.3 driver with the Factory Reset option and see if there is any improvement.

If not make sure to fill out the Bug Report in Radeon Settings or

let AMD support know about it here:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

This would be great timing if it turns out to be the solution. Thanks for the heads up and I will try this as soon as i can tonight!

0 Likes

Yes it would. 

It does however after reading the release notes say some known issues.

Known Issues

• Brightness flickering may intermittently occur in some games when Radeon™ FreeSync is enabled, and the game is set to use borderless fullscreen.
  • Metro Exodus™, Shadow of the Tomb Raider™, Battlefield™ V and Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare may experience intermittent application crashes with DirectX® Raytracing enabled.
  • Anisotropic Filtering in Radeon™ Software graphics settings is not taking effect in DirectX®9 applications on RDNA graphics products.
  • Some games may experience stuttering when set to borderless fullscreen and an extended display is connected running the Netflix™ windows store application on RDNA graphics products.
  • Radeon™ recording and streaming features may fail to enable on AMD Radeon™ HD 7800 series graphics products.
  • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and the Performance Tuning tab incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon™ RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Oculus Link users might experience crashes on Polaris and Vega series graphics products.
  • Flickering might be observed if the Radeon Software Overlay is invoked while Immortals: Fenyx Rising™ is running on an extended display.
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege might experience corruption in Hybrid Graphics scenarios when using the Vulkan API on an extended display.
  • Screen flickering might be observed when using MSI Afterburner.
0 Likes

Well this is an interesting update. It turns out I was already on this driver (it came out 11/30), but I went ahead and DDU and updated anyways. This time paying close attention to the factory reset option (honestly not sure if I hit that last time). Immediately upon restart the colors in the radeon software appeared more vibrant. Hopped on COD Warzone and perfect performance with Freesync enabled! I was excited and ready to come back to tell the good news, when the game crashed to desktop...

At this point it seems like there's still some driver issues that have to get worked out, but I feel better knowing its likely the driver and not a bad piece of hardware.

0 Likes

If you are using the latest version of DDU properly, you should not need to use Factory Reset Option at all in the AMD Installer. 

0 Likes

I was not aware of this colesdav, so thats good to know.

However this reminded me that this last time was the first time I made sure to disable my internet (while also using safe mode) to run DDU. I did not enable my wifi agan until after the new radeaon software was installed. I guess its possible windows was self installing during my previous attempts, making my issue worse.

0 Likes

Sure. 
That may have been it. 
You can go to DDU advanced options and you can also select "prevent windows driver install" in DDU "at your own risk". 
If you do turn it on though - make absolutely sure that you do not use Radeon Installer Factory Reset. 
Last time I used both, the Adrenalin Installer just hung. 
I think there is a conflict between the two somewhere. 

0 Likes
NeeDforKill
Adept I

Have same problem on 6800XT
With Enablaed Free-Sync/Adaptive Sync Compatible - ALL games Stuttering every few second, if you disable Adaptive Sync Compatible - ALL fine. Strange thing was when i open my Minotor Menu in game i have 150fps but my monitor shows 100hz, not 150.

1. Monitor with FreeSync my is rog strix xg279q
2. Enable Adaptive Sync Compatible in Driver
3. Start Game for Example Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2019/Warzone or World of Warcraft Shadowlands
4. Game start stuttering every few seconds and image not looks smooth

20.11.3 version not solved this problem.

0 Likes

@NeeDforKill 

I just played with some settings and was able to replicate our issues exactly again, but now I know what caused it before and didn't need to redo drivers to fix it.

Check to see if you have "10-Bit Pixel Format" enabled under the settings>Graphics>Advanced Section. It needs to be DISABLED for freesync to work right (at least for me right now). So turn it off if you have it enabled. My monitor supports 10-bit color, but the combo of 10-bit and freesync isnt working well for me. 

10bit.PNG

Don't confuse this with the Display Settings for 10-bit color depth, mine still has this enabled with no issues. Let me know if this helps!

For me that not helps, i didn't have this option enabled.

0 Likes

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! @originalando 

This has been driving me insane for MONTHS now! My freesync has been all over the place from flat out not working, to slightly jittery, to bouncing my refresh rate around like a ragdoll even though my framerate was stable!

This COMPLETELY fixed it for me! 

0 Likes

Glad I could help! I actually tried the combo out again recently after a few driver updates. Was sad to see that it wasn’t fixed. 

0 Likes