cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

norgannon
Journeyman III

Framerate drop and/or amdkmdap not responding anymore when having two games/videos in fullscreen on two different screens (RX 470)

Hello !

I use two screens (extended displays) on Windows 10.

I noticed a couple of days/weeks ago that when I have two games/videos on full screen, one on each screen, one stays stable with a "normal" framerate but the other has awful fps drops. It used to work absolutely fine. I do not know what prompted this change.

It became worse quickly, as now, if I run a game on fullscreen (usually World of Warcraft) on my main screen, when I make video fullscreen on my secondary screen, it has a chance to make the amdkmdap not responding anymore. I get a black screen on both screens and nothing responds anymore. I can only force a shutdown if that happens. I know of the amdkmdap not responding because it leaves a warning in the evenement log. If the displays still respond, the game isn't really playable because of the fps drops.

What is odd is that if I have the game on fullscreen and the video not on fullscreen but still pretty big, with the same quality as it would have on fullscreen (usualy 1080p 60fps), there is no problem at all. It appears only when both displays run something fullscreen for some reason.

I tried to mess with the settings a bit, lowering quality of the game but it had no impact at all. I saw a similar post that said to deactivate freesync but freesync isn't even supported. I tried to disabled vertical sync but nothing changed. I updated the drivers but nothing changed. Radeon ReLive is disabled as it used to make my system randomly crash for some reason. It probably has nothing to do with it but I'll still mention it.

Also a detail that might have an importance : when I witness the fps drop, the fps counter doesn't show them. It says it still has 60+ fps. So that's weird.

• GPU : Radeon RX 470
    • Sapphire Radeon RX 470 Nitro OC - 4 Go
  • Desktop
    • Kind of OEM from a specialized retailer (materiel.net)
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 - 64 bits
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 19.7.1
  • Display Devices
    • BenQ 21.5" LED - GL2250 - 1920 x 1080 pixels - 5 ms - 60Hz - HDMI
    • Philips S-line 221S6LCB - LED - 21.5" - 1920 x 1080 pixels - 5 ms - probably 60 Hz - DVI-D
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H - Bios version B150M-DS3H-F22f
  • CPU/APU
    • intel i5-6400
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • FSP Fortron Hyper 500S - 500W
  • RAM
    • 24 Gb DDR4 (2*8 Gb + 2*4 Gb in dual channels)

Thanks a lot for any help you can provide !

0 Likes
4 Replies
norgannon
Journeyman III

Hello, no one has any idea ?

I feel like with the moderation system, 2 days after writing the post it finally became public and many much more recent posts made on the forum got my own right into the abyss without ever having the opportunity to see any light......

Every time I press F5 the view count increases which makes me be pretty sure I did 95% of the views of the topic.

0 Likes
norgannon
Journeyman III

Hiya !

Well today for two days things have been back to normal.

I haven't updated any software / driver nor changed hardware. So... I have still no idea what is/was the problem exactly but it seems to be fine, at least for now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

0 Likes
norgannon
Journeyman III

Aaaand the issue is back a month later.

It came back the same day I installed this update (maybe related, maybe not) : https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/help/4512501/windows-10-update-kb4512501 

I tried to uninstall the update but the issue stays.

The only thing special I did recently was to have a heavy use of Unreal Engine & the GPU, along with doing short screen recordings with OBS but I don't see why it would cause any issue later on and especially still after multiple reboots.

I'll try to update to a new Windows 10 SP as I am on Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.17134.885] right now. I'll keep this post updated.....

As I am still running Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 19.7.1, I'll try to update it to 19.8.1 as well but since it didn't change and I didn't modify anything I don't expect it to have any effect...

If you have any insight don't hesitate !

Thanks.

0 Likes
norgannon
Journeyman III

Aaaaand I believe it is now fixed.

Updating Radeon driver didn't change anything.

Now running Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.18362.295] the problem suddenly vanished. So if anyone reading this is having a similar issue, if you are running an older Windows 10 service pack, try updating to a more up to date one.

I still don't really understand what was going wrong but hopefully this times the problem doesn't come back.

If it does I'll make sure to make another pointless update on this thread.

0 Likes