cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kevinschu22
Journeyman III

Frame drops I normally don't have

So my RX480 graphics card has been working fine but then one day when I turned on my PC, I started of Rainbow Six and noticed my frames start to drop to 20-40 if I move my cursor around. I decided to test some other games and Rocket League works fine, Overwatch has some stutters here and there but they're not common, and Bigfoot has a lot of stutters. I don't believe it's just Siege or Bigfoot because they both started happening at the same time. I've updated my video drivers and it's still wonky. Not sure what to do at this point. (All my siege graphics are on lowest settings).

1 Reply

I would inspect the card for anything compromising thermal conditions. Are the GPU fan(s) spinning at high RPMs, is it free of dust, hair or other debris, are other case fans that were working still working and clean? Etc... If that doesn't help you can RMA the card if it is under warranty. If it is not under warranty you might want to replace the thermal paste on the GPU. It often just gets old and hard and loses the good contact it once had with the chip surface. When pulling of your cooling solution to this you will also have thermal pads that cover memory and vrms. You will need to have replacement pads for them as well as thermal grease or pad for the GPU. You can buy kits online and see youtube for instruction videos.